What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

14 hours ago, omegod said:

Gary Barlow must weep when he see's Rick Astley being a far better entertainer than he could ever be 

12 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Which doesn't say much, as witnessed.

11 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Didn't get any better when that cunt Rylan came on (wearing chain mail for some reason).

which is why i left the country (dutch and german tv not much better - oompah)

Not funny - more ironic.
Sat up till midnight last night and the youngsters wanted 'the bongs' so we had to suffer BBC1 - Lo! And Behold! Lord Mayor of London Presents....

Fifteen minutes of fuck off fireworks and drones and three hundred tunes cut into ten second soundbites.*

As I sat and watched the vast clouds of gunpowder smoke wafting off along the Thames, a small smile twitched the corner of my lips as I realised this is all slap bang in the middle of the ULEZ/LEZ 

*OK so 300 x 10 seconds does not equal 15 minutes but dilligaf?

38 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Not funny - more ironic.
Sat up till midnight last night and the youngsters wanted 'the bongs' so we had to suffer BBC1 - Lo! And Behold! Lord Mayor of London Presents....

Fifteen minutes of fuck off fireworks and drones and three hundred tunes cut into ten second soundbites.*

As I sat and watched the vast clouds of gunpowder smoke wafting off along the Thames, a small smile twitched the corner of my lips as I realised this is all slap bang in the middle of the ULEZ/LEZ 

*OK so 300 x 10 seconds does not equal 15 minutes but dilligaf?

To be fair, the Lord Mayor has nothing to do with policy (like ULEZ) 

16 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

To be fair, the Lord Mayor has nothing to do with policy (like ULEZ) 

My bad there - should just have been "The Mayor" i.e. Mr K and not the other dude (the one that has the big parade in September on his square mile manor)

Having seen the news of the earthquake and plane crash in Japan, I asked my son if the girls were OK (I have two Japanese granddaughters). (It's complicated).

He said they were all OK and that James was too. :?:

Asked who James might be.  It was Hanida (airport) that autocorrect had mangled.

Thought I had a grandson I had never heard of.

A calligraphy artist I follow on social media has opened their new years commissions, their smallest/simplest option just squeaks in under the budget I have left after buying a bunch of video production stuff. I decided that it was a good time to support them and get a present for my mum too. When she found out it was for my mum she offered to do the next size up, and add an embellished border, for the same price!

Once I'm less skint I'll definitely be buying from them again!

Their "stock" art is mostly rude words in ludicrously fancy script, so if anyone is in the market for such a thing let me know and I'll send you a link to their store!

I wish I was in The Netherlands at the moment. Because the flood defences are working again. It is not often the 100 year old steam pumps can be seen in action.

https://nos.nl/video/2503563-stoomgemaal-lemmer-is-ruim-100-jaar-oud-maar-nog-hard-nodig-tegen-hoogwater

The pumps still use stream. However, they now use bio-diesel to produce the steam because coal is a kills.

@hairnet If you still in the country see if you can visit.

11 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

My bad there - should just have been "The Mayor" i.e. Mr K and not the other dude (the one that has the big parade in September on his square mile manor)

Politician in double standards shocker. No!!!!

Kahn gets mad stick. Was a Boris policy I seem to recall. 

Am gutted I can't afford to run a proper van anymore. Do like the fresher air mind. Just need to ban fucking vapes now, they stink! 

I got £2.8k for my lovely 545.

I now find myself looking at cars with bent eight engines.

People selling similar cars to my e60 - but want £4.5 - 6.5k. Sorry but you will be stuck with them forever.

I actually think big pez engine are on a downward spiral - possibly permanent. I will wait a bit and see what happens - I would have another BMW V8.

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Laying in bed watching random shit in YouTube when it all goes a bit familiar 😂

Screenshot_2024-01-02-22-09-06-36_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.thumb.jpg.cb71910ca0a67d02bc9ed7b497f51a56.jpg

@LightBulbFun 

cant wait for him to do a "what happened to the cars of Ali-G" when he goes to research it, he is going to have the most autoshite sense of deja-vu :) 

"I have been on these beige pages before now..."

ill just take pride that me saying "or other such fuckery" has now been forever immortalised on youtube LOL

On 31/12/2023 at 14:11, DSdriver said:

I will be giving Belgium the swerve on my next visit to Germany, the queues on the Belgian roads were horrible. Swiss road surfaces are ace, why can't the A20/M20 up from Dover be like that, its almost as if they don't want to encourage foreign visitors or for Brits to go abroad.

Living in Ireland for the past three decades means I have only ever used the Dover-Calais route about 3 times. However, each time I've used it, on the return journey there's been a very long and badly signposted diversion off the M20 that peters out after a few miles. Meaning me having to find my way back to the M25/M4 by the seat of my pants. Last time there was a diversion on the M4 as well, where any signposting petered out after a couple of miles, leaving us in darkness miles from anywhere somewhere near Membury. That was because a milk tanker had overturned about 12 hours before and it had taken that long to clear up the mess. In the end I just used signposts to head towards Box, then Bristol, then up the M32.

The UK appears to have decided to stop being a serious country any more.

10 hours ago, Rustybullethole said:

Politician in double standards shocker. No!!!!

Kahn gets mad stick. Was a Boris policy I seem to recall. 

Am gutted I can't afford to run a proper van anymore. Do like the fresher air mind. Just need to ban fucking vapes now, they stink! 

Please don't take my vape. Since roll ups it's all that stands between me and mass murder 😭

6 hours ago, artdjones said:

Living in Ireland for the past three decades means I have only ever used the Dover-Calais route about 3 times

When we used to come through Dover back in the bad old days we'd usually hang a left as you came out of the terminal and work up to the A2/M2 rather than M20 it - it was a longer journey but rarely seemed to grind to a halt.

image.png.7aa6f0169da140b2463a8686e6a35137.png

We still joke about Belgium - them main autoroute (E40?) down to Brussels from Calais/Ostend used to be so rutted in lane 1 by the big HGVs that our slightly narrower tracked, smol HGV would be continually hooking a sidewall on one track or the other and veering off in that direction. Solutions were (1) get right hand wheel onto hard shoulder [where there was one] (2) hog lane 2 at risk of being plowed under by a 200 km/h Romanian artic (3) (easiest) just go via Liege - longer, slower but easier

2 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

When we used to come through Dover back in the bad old days we'd usually hang a left as you came out of the terminal and work up to the A2/M2 rather than M20 it - it was a longer journey but rarely seemed to grind to a halt.

image.png.7aa6f0169da140b2463a8686e6a35137.png

We still joke about Belgium - them main autoroute (E40?) down to Brussels from Calais/Ostend used to be so rutted in lane 1 by the big HGVs that our slightly narrower tracked, smol HGV would be continually hooking a sidewall on one track or the other and veering off in that direction. Solutions were (1) get right hand wheel onto hard shoulder [where there was one] (2) hog lane 2 at risk of being plowed under by a 200 km/h Romanian artic (3) (easiest) just go via Liege - longer, slower but easier

A2/M2 is probably quicker if you’re going north via Dartford crossing or into east London.

43 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

A2/M2 is probably quicker if you’re going north via Dartford crossing or into east London.

Dartford what? There's modern ;-)
We were W/SW London or Devon way. If you picked the day/time well you could get in as far as the S. Circular and cut around to Chiswick Bridge fairly easily. Sundays used to be a breeze.

Not too sure when it started being less of a PITA just to go around the M25 - mid 1990s?

3 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Dartford what? There's modern ;-)
We were W/SW London or Devon way. If you picked the day/time well you could get in as far as the S. Circular and cut around to Chiswick Bridge fairly easily. Sundays used to be a breeze.

Not too sure when it started being less of a PITA just to go around the M25 - mid 1990s?

The original Dartford tunnel was opened in 1963 and would have probably been 20 years earlier if not for the war. Not much use for going north until the M25 connected it to the M11.

The M25 was completed in 1986, so from then on it would have been the quickest way round. I remember going from Kent to Devon before the SW section was open and going from where the M23 starts to the M4 via Leatherhead and Virginia Water. Right pain, so on the way back I went through central London including around Trafalgar Square and it didn’t take any longer.