What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Sprachen zie russkie?

Well, it's Bulgarian but they use the Cyrillic alphabet but have their own language. I think. But understanding Cyrillic will give you the cars. I can see Trabant and possibly Mosckvich and the 2101 etc are probably Ladas but we need to know how much and from when at the very least. 

2 minutes ago, Matty said:

And to think at one point you were worried about your command of English. Now yer talking like a native 😄

Thanks appreciate hearing that as my English is completely self taught.

Being here has helped a lot and taught me a lot in the language, but I'm not sure if thats good or bad.  

wanted to go to boston

last time i went the thing was in the next town over so places were relatively cheap

this one in downtown - all the places to stay were 150+ - its august but unlike here not public holiday

airport was the same only one under 200 quid hilton was 348 bucks and thats with discount - and god help you if you stay near the waterfront :D

saw a room in someones house for 85 quid that according to the reviews you could walk to 1.5 miles from the airport - that would do

but then which is why this is here

bed in a dorm in a hostel - 80 quid - think thats the most ive ever seen

2 hours ago, hairnet said:

its not that precious surely :D

I saw that done with a Peugeot 107 back in 2012. I only remember it and when because I’d just bought one for my son turning 17.

However the 107 had quite big doors ( and much wider than an A30), so I don’t know how they got out.

2 hours ago, hairnet said:

saw a room in someones house for 85 quid that according to the reviews you could walk to 1.5 miles from the airport - that would do

I'm always slightly dubious when things in America say they're within walking distance.  They might be a walkable distance from the thing you're trying to get to, but there's no guarantee that there will be any pavement sidewalk, so you might find yourself walking along the edge of a busy 4-lane road with 18-wheelers thundering by six inches away.

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I'm always slightly dubious when things in America say they're within walking distance.  They might be a walkable distance from the thing you're trying to get to, but there's no guarantee that there will be any pavement sidewalk, so you might find yourself walking along the edge of a busy 4-lane road with 18-wheelers thundering by six inches away.

I don’t think many airports anywhere cater for people walking there.

On 07/01/2024 at 01:21, Yoss said:

Well, it's Bulgarian but they use the Cyrillic alphabet but have their own language. I think. But understanding Cyrillic will give you the cars. I can see Trabant and possibly Mosckvich and the 2101 etc are probably Ladas but we need to know how much and from when at the very least. 

GAZ 24 Volga with radio

Moskvitch 408 with radio

Moskvitch 426 universal with radio

Moskvitch 412

Moskvitch 427 universal

VAZ 2101 Zhiguli

VAZ 2102 Zhiguli universal

VAZ 2103 Zhiguli

VAZ 21011 Zhiguli

ZAZ 968 A Zaporozhets

Skoda 100

Wartburg Standard

Wartburg de luxe

Wartburg Kombi

Trabant 601

Trabant 601 Kombi

Polski Fiat 125-1500

At the bottom by the asterisk it identifies that these are the prices as of 01/03/1976

Too bad I can't get my hands on an old copy of "States of the he world" book from 1975-1976, would have known how much it meant in other currencies. All I know is one leva was about 10 lei in the '80s, and that would place the Dacia 1300 price somewhere between 7000 and 8000 leva, not taking into account the eventual import tax.

Out for a ride on the Motorsickle for the first time in a couple of weeks.... The roads are so filthy, I try to avoid trying to cope with it at night and on wet roads - it's hard to tell whats slippery and what isn't. Its chilly, but clear and winter gear is so good these days it really doesn't matter.

Can't think of a better way to turn petrol into pleasure.

6 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I don’t think many airports anywhere cater for people walking there.

I walked from the centre of Marrakesh to the airport a few years back.  Was easy enough.  That's the only time I've attempted it mind.