The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Driving home for Christmas. What a cracker this thing is on a long trip, plenty of power, heated seats, cruise control and high 40s MPG. 

IMG_20211225_123650232_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211225_123614152_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211225_123528183.jpg

Meanwhile my 205 isn't much better on fuel but is far more basic!

Stop making me feel conflicted...

I changed the front pads on the Civic in the summer because the wear indicators were squealing but the rears looked OK. 

The car received an advisory  for rear pads at the MOT in October and @Supernaut gave me new pads foc that he had been going to fit to his now scrapped Civic.

Nearside was well past it.

20211227_121118.thumb.jpg.f2b62a7ffd463bb072fcfe300f6ed565.jpg

I also got to try out my new caliper windback tool - works great.

20211227_115248.thumb.jpg.b1b552d661ac2e06ad0920ace47ccd10.jpg

Discs were fairly recent so left alone although I do have a pair that also came free with the pads too.

With the workshop to myself thought I'd have a tinker with the Discovery. First up was patching the nearside outer sill. With the cover off the B pillar needed a piece letting in too. All done and everything packed away it was time to tackle the fuel tank guard/ under-tray. I was supposed to be out playing in the mud tomorrow so thought it wise to replace the rotten guard with a solid one I acquired a couple of months ago. Started to hammer an impact socket on the bolts when.............. Oh bugger

IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.f183ca6f57dec494939168965135aea9.JPG

That's the whole cross-member completely rotted out.Just behind the axle so tank out. The fuel tank is just sitting on the chassis legs so won't be too hard to do.

My 205 aka the Peashooter was starting to become a bit crispy around the top drivers side door hinge.

I've been meaning to do something about it for a while,seeing as it's test is due this seemed like a good time.

20211227_160035.thumb.jpg.37ee4f2664c5703969ac79fc5841ffa3.jpg

20211227_160023.thumb.jpg.61844f5b6076a9373328936945d41431.jpg

Still a bit more to do on the inner wing,but I guess for the age of it,it's not doing too bad.

Had to remove the wing,which on a 205 is a ball ache. 

Just hope I've welded the door hinge in the right position 🤣

41 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

With the workshop to myself thought I'd have a tinker with the Discovery. First up was patching the nearside outer sill. With the cover off the B pillar needed a piece letting in too. All done and everything packed away it was time to tackle the fuel tank guard/ under-tray. I was supposed to be out playing in the mud tomorrow so thought it wise to replace the rotten guard with a solid one I acquired a couple of months ago. Started to hammer an impact socket on the bolts when.............. Oh bugger

IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.f183ca6f57dec494939168965135aea9.JPG

That's the whole cross-member completely rotted out.Just behind the axle so tank out. The fuel tank is just sitting on the chassis legs so won't be too hard to do.

TADTS. Ask me how I know. 😬

Looks like it's new battery time for the Princess.  Slightly sluggish starting today and wipers slowing down when I had to have brake lights, headlights, heated rear screen, and demister running today.  Alternator appears to be charging properly so I don't think that's the issue.  I'm pretty sure this is the same Lion brand battery the car came to me with so it's lasted at least ten years and has been roundly abused over that time with several charges from flat and demands to jump start other cars so I reckon it's earned retirement.

I know Lion have a reputation for being a bit rubbish but honestly this one has been so good I'd definitely be tempted to go with another.

I've not checked the fluids in the car for a fair while, and have done a fair few trips recently. The coolant was slowly going down... 

All spot on 😂 Might have to donate one of my 5l bottles of ready mix (the free one) to the FOD emergency spares stash if this carries on, not touched a drop of the 2l squash bottle full I've been keeping in the car just incase. 

Hopefully the old pink goo I saw on the subframe is historic and it just had a small air bubble which it's worked through. Meh

Burnt zero oil over many many cold starts and cold journeys either which is good

Been putting a nice shiny cleaned cylinder head back on @Cluffy 's Corrado. The VR6 is clever in many ways but the two sets of timing chains on the gearbox side can get in the bin. Anyway they're new now so with a new clutch that 'side' should be good to go for another 100k.

IMG_20211228_111722597.jpg

IMG_20211228_111729483.jpg

IMG_20211228_112410164.jpg

Changed bulbs in the mondeo forgot to turn off the sidelights, until my son noticed not even two hours it wouldn't start, had to jump it off missus car, so ordered a new battery via ecp and there never ending sale, ordered an exide one i hope its good one at 74quid... finger crossed its here tomorrow..

20211228_144657.jpg

5 hours ago, grogee said:

Been putting a nice shiny cleaned cylinder head back on @Cluffy 's Corrado. The VR6 is clever in many ways but the two sets of timing chains on the gearbox side can get in the bin. Anyway they're new now so with a new clutch that 'side' should be good to go for another 100k.

IMG_20211228_111722597.jpg

IMG_20211228_111729483.jpg

A reliable transmission side timing chain- the Holy Grail of German motor engineers. Maybe one day they will do it.

Got back this evening from my usual Christmas trip to Somerset to see my parents.  I took the Scénic, and it did the 500-mile round trip with no issues at all - the wipers are still working and it has used about £65-'orth of diesel, which I work out to be about 51mpg - I'll take that, it's not bad going for a 7-seat MPV.  It was comfortable enough and even the cruise control worked most of the time.

My uncle also came down for the Christmas weekend, and he gave me a full set of these:

20211228_224526.thumb.jpg.57f1a03a122810a8111369bef047cf7f.jpg

He found them in the attic when he was clearing out my grandparents' house, they belonged to my Grandad when he was a lad - as far as I can ascertain they date from 1936, and they're in surprisingly good nick for 85-year-old magazines.  I'm going to enjoy reading them.

Oh yeah, I also bagged myself a decent part worn Goodyear Eagle in the right size for the Rover 75 for the princely sum of a fiver.  It was collection only and in Swindon, which is bloody miles from me but I was going to be passing through on my way back from Somerset so stuck a bid in and I was the only bidder.  I picked it up on my way home this afternoon.  It's a bit of an odd size and my local garage didn't have any available, so I'll just get them to fit the one I've bought when I take the car in for a test.

14 hours ago, stuboy said:

Changed bulbs in the mondeo forgot to turn off the sidelights, until my son noticed not even two hours it wouldn't start, had to jump it off missus car, so ordered a new battery via ecp and there never ending sale, ordered an exide one i hope its good one at 74quid... finger crossed its here tomorrow..

20211228_144657.jpg

My mind’s gone blank - who is it makes the Mondeo? 

Mrs LabRat has found a cheap runabout whilst we wait for the Tivoli to be shipped off for repairs, there are 2 downsides to this- it's French and in Goole... But she's insistent that she wants to go and look, so time to fuel up the Shanghai Express and go kick some tyres.