Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 15/16 June

Six-cylinder

@Slowsilver came over today, he helped me collect the Sigma and then a bit of tinkering. We put the washer return valve in hot water so it would come off the washer pipe to replace the washer bottle cap, as I am now using a used liquid soap bottle. Next we took the driver's seat out to drill some extra holes in the brackets so the seat is now an inch further back.

IMG_20240226_165244 broad.jpg

IMG_20240226_164822 broad.jpg

14 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

@Slowsilver came over today, he helped me collect the Sigma and then a bit of tinkering. We put the washer return valve in hot water so it would come off the washer pipe to replace the washer bottle cap, as I am now using a used liquid soup bottle. Next we took the driver's seat out to drill some extra holes in the brackets so the seat is now an inch further back.

IMG_20240226_165244 broad.jpg

IMG_20240226_164822 broad.jpg

What’s a soup bottle? ;-)

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - NEW incoming!
20 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

When this fully working Volvo Estate was last for sale both Mrs6C and I liked it.  I tried to work out a narrative as to why I should buy it, but couldn’t.

Now it is broken we have bought it!

IMG_20240226_133836 broad.jpg

IMG_20240226_134022 broad.jpg

IMG_20240226_134251 broad.jpg

PXL_20240219_111614453.jpg.d4a21218ebe2cd0b220b858fc9bba97a broad.jpg

Looks great, I have a couple of filing cabinets to collect and stuff to take to the tips.

41 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

Was the belt taken off to inspect the knackered tensioner or did it have enough and abandon ship?

We believe the idler pulley failed and the result was the cambelt has slipped off.  It was driving at slow speed and it just died.

The car is now with our favourite garage and a cam belt and tensioner has been ordered ready for the work to be done.

PXL_20240219_111621790.jpg.860544fa0544b85069f388000957ba34.jpg

14 minutes ago, 2316cc said:

I'm very sorry to hear the 940 has been misbehaving itself and I hope it can be repaired and persuaded to behave normally, i.e. going sideways round roundabouts with a Victorian wardrobe in the back. 

Bon chance!*

*I don't know the Swedish for good luck. 

I have bought it already broken so I knew what I was getting into.

It is not the first time I have had a 2316cc Volvo with cam belt failure, last time I was driving our 1988 740GLE saloon. It just needed a cam belt and all was well again so we are hoping this one is the same.

CVS Volvo 744GLE Greencar E543 FPG.jpg

27 minutes ago, hairnet said:

also man does not go to scotland for volvo shock

will you be getting dog shit covered saltires in the post because they now cant repatriate one :D

Nah they do German stuff now, I think all volvos/volvii can breathe a sign of relief 

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have bought it already broken so I knew what I was getting into.

It is not the first time I have had a 2316cc Volvo with cam belt failure, last time I was driving our 1988 740GLE saloon. It just needed a cam belt and all was well again so we are hoping this one is the same.

CVS Volvo 744GLE Greencar E543 FPG.jpg

I asked a friend who has one and other than saying it shouldn't clout the valves he added the lower pulley or woodruff key also fail so worth checking whilst apart.

17 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

We believe the idler pulley failed and the result was the cambelt has slipped off.  It was driving at slow speed and it just died.

Yes I was only 200 yards up the road when it just died on me.  Naturally I spent three weeks trying to diagnose the issue, replacing the crank sensor for one thing, whereas I should've checked the belt first.  Never mind, lesson learnt.

The sobering thing is the day before I did 120 miles in it, mostly on the M20.  Daren't think of the outcome should it have slipped the belt on a smart section.

This morning was the first breakfast meeting following a change to "summer dates" for Milton Keynes Modern Classics. It felt like a winter day, cold and raining so only 6 of us turned up and only me in a classic. On the positive side Breakfast bap and a coffee for £5.

I took the opportunity to drive past a house that has always had non running BL cars parked outside to my knowledge since 1985, when I drove past regularly.

Tomorrow is Milton Keynes Classic Cars (as opposed to Modern Classics) Breakfast meeting at the Giffard Park Pub and we will see how the weather is and how that effects the usually good numbers who attend. All welcome, classic cars and plenty of parking for dailies’ as well if you want a trip out.

IMG_20240302_112227 broad.jpg

IMG_20240302_111252 broad.jpg

IMG_20240302_092945 broad.jpg

IMG_20240302_092955 crop broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Winter Classic Car meetings