THAT Lada Samara - It's now FOAD's

KruJoe

Thank you gents, late update... this evening I have mostly been making the '94 Impreza 1.8GL rotbox spares car roll on (three) wheels and dragging it off the field onto the lane. But that's a different story.

Did you take a photo of said haggardly, croak-voiced Jean and weak-limbed Edwin standing proudly by the Lada when you picked it up...complete with tear in their eye...

LOL'd at that :D

Well I had hoped to, but Jean appears to be armchair-bound (yet internetted up to the eyeballs) so she stayed put. I attempted to catch Eddie with the car, but he stepped back from shot, leaving only the reflection of his trousers:

P1240872.jpg

P1240878.jpg

A closer look at the grot... here is the worst arch:

P1240895.jpg

NS jacking area:

P1240874.jpg

Further back:

P1240873.jpg

Back end of the NS sill:

P1240876.jpg

NS turret in the boot:

P1240922.jpg

The other side was done last year:

P1240923.jpg

I'm hoping that's the most of it.

Yes, Edwin opened his wooden-fronted garage and handed me a few spares from his last Samara that he scrapped in 2004.

P1240905.jpg

His son is a scrap man, but he wouldn't let him have this one!

Oh, and he gave me a fiver's worth of juice from a can, to get me home.

P1240910.jpg

P1240900.jpg

P1240896.jpg

There are little scratches and scrapes all over, but it's basically straight.

P1240902.jpg

P1240908.jpg

Inside, it looks to have had a hard time for a 50-odd thousand mile car.

P1240914.jpg

The foam has "gone" in the front seats, causing wear in the fabric against the frames. If anything the passenger side is worst. Jean is erm.. quite heavy, and I suspect that the car has seldom gone further than the centre of town, so a lot of getting in and out for the mileage. Oh, I know they managed as far as Bingley Cattle Mart for the car boot sale there sometimes, Edwin recognised my sister from there! The house was full of that sort of tat.

P1240892.jpg

P1240884.jpg

By this time the light was fading, so apologies for the shoddy photography.

The steering wheel was a nasty surprise. It's probably just me, but I thought it might be from a Polo. More likely a shoddy chavvy effort. It's too small and falling apart, and Eddie might have managed better with a bigger wheel.

P1240882.jpg

The back seats are fine, it just needs a good vacuuming.

P1240890.jpg

I only drove it the three miles up to Oxenhope behind my sister in the BX (so in a faint blue haze!)

The Lada drove well, slightly more torques on offer than from the not-too-shabby 1360cc BX, though I'm sure it'll be no where near as lively as the 214's 16v excitement. There's a surprising lack of body roll, and everything in the dash seems to work, including the econometer!

So it is resting there until eBay numpties furnish me with a fresh alternator for the Rover. I've already been waiting too long.

When that happens, I'll go and lob it on, and bring home the Lada. That's when the fun starts!

P1240918.jpg

Edit: Faint/feint spelling!

That steering wheel looks like an Italvolanti one, maybe not though. Nice save, now all you need to do is frisbee those wheel trims into the eyes of someone you don't like the look of.

Sterling work there Krooj!!! That looks like an honest old tank, I think its well worth £150. The rot looks moderately bad but i'm sure it can be dealt with OK. The body looks very straight. Plus it sounds like you met some right characters which is often half the fun of 'shiting'. Nice one!

Can't add much to what everyone else has said, this is a properly good save here. Looks like it'll be a solid old thing with the welding done. To be honest for 150 squids it's worth spending a bit to get the rot sorted properly, you'll probably end up with one of the best Samaras in the country... Can't wait to see it all nice and polished with those bumpers cleaned up. Hope you're planning to take it back to see Edwin & Jean when it's looking a bit healthier??

Thanks guys!

About the steering wheel, it is currently quite ghastly to use, the covering has split at the stitching most of the way around, and there is mess from peeled off gaffa tape and insulating tape on the bottom half.

P1240884.jpg

After reading that article, I found a round plastic Lada badge in the ash tray that might have come from that bottom spoke of the steerer.

I'm unsure about the wheel trims. Yes, they're also ghastly, but that's its identity. The whole car is, that's the idea. The steel is rusty cream behind them (I think) so they're staying for the time being.

I found a print-out of the eBay listing from which Jean bought the car. Here is the picture:

P1240979.jpg

Those trims ring a bell, would they be standard?

The rest if the advert - old style eBay - remember that?

P1240982.jpg

12 months MOT and they ended the auction early for her at £150! 2004 is where to go for cheap MOT'd crap. That's why she told me £150! Bill of sale to her (son in Surry who brought it up for her):

P1240881.jpg

More books 'n' papers:

P1240976.jpg

The 2004 MOT shows 41,000 so they have done only about 2,000 miles a year since then.

P1240951.jpg

I haven't had chance to muck it out yet :) Jean and Edwin are each in no fit state to do it, and to be fair, I did turn up and take it away before the end of the auction, so they might have had the intention of a quick vac.

It' s a 20 year old Lada at scrap money, I didn't expect it valeted.

I said I would bring it back to show them when it is back on the road. I already sent them the picture of it with the BX and 214, telling then Id' got it safely to Ox'nop.

P1240973.jpg

A few more images.

P1240953.jpg

P1240952.jpg

The engine looks like an old Fiat unit. Would that be about right? It's quite a gutsy little lump and pulls really well, despite much higher gearing than the BX which starts to sound frantic at 50mph!

P1240965.jpg

P1240961.jpg

Old boy 'fixes'?

P1240970.jpg

:?

P1240963.jpg

There's a not insignificant oil leak from somewhere under the distributor, but the battery and surrounding area are also wet. Wet with what? Dunno yet.

P1240972.jpg

P1240968.jpg

Useful (non-functioning) under-bonnet light.

P1240967.jpg

Anyway, the Rover's alternator was lost by the courier so that job is still not done, but I had a free lift to Oxenhope so took the chance to fetch the Samara home.

P1240956.jpg

I pulled in to wedge something between the door card and the door, it was rattling really loudly. I used a cut off piece of hose I found in the footwell.

The only tunes I had were an Elvis CD that Eddie had left in the horrible chavvy Goodmans head unit (Jean said I was lucky, it cost them £60). Bored of Elvis, I pulled up the aerial in the front wing, to find it sticks out at 90 degrees to the surface, so it leans out at a jaunty angle.

P1240957.jpg

The Lada went well, apart from a couple minutes of embarrassing kangarooing through the middle of Gargrave. I hope that doesn't happen too often. The brakes are ok, they just need a really good shove.

P1240959.jpg

Safely home.

I just saw on the Spanish GP highlights that Lada sponsor the Lotus team :D One cane 18th, the other crashed out!

No idea what it says...

òþ÷ôушýыù фøûьтр = air filter

The sticker is on the filter housing, I'm guessing it says something along the lines of "change the element every 15000km".

Cool eh?

I just saw on the Spanish GP highlights that Lada sponsor the Lotus team One cane 18th, the other crashed out!

Lada sponsors the Renault team because Renault owns Lada. The Renault team is called Lotus because Renault has done a deal with Lotus Engineering. which is owned by Proton. As opposed to Team Lotus, which has the rights to the old Lotus F1 team's name. This is not owned by Proton. Or Lada. Or Renault.

BTW, Lada still makes the Samara.

• 10 months later...

Holy thread ressurection, Batman!

This POS has gone nowhere in the last year, it has lived on in my sig and so too in the shed. It has been my intention all along to get it legal and take it out as often as possible so that I may fully enjoy the fantastic* driving experience.

This was the last we saw of it. In the summer I told you ...

Sadly ... I've not had time to show it much love yet, snowed under with work.

I've taken it down the road a few times to keep it loose, and washed a huge pile of bird crap off the bonnet, otherwise no progress.

I'll keep you all in the loop as things progress!

P1250145.jpg

So as promised, update time.

To have a closer look at it's underbelly, I 'constructed' an inspection ramp out of pallets and broken breeze blocks.

It wobbled like a bastard and had me touching cloth, so I fcuked that idea right off.

P1250844.jpg

But after I'd been inside for a cup of tea and a nice sit down, the Lada was still up in the air, so I peered underneath.

P1250845.jpg

NSF jacking point The grey stuff I think is dried mud.

P1250826.jpg

NSR footwell / inner sill

P1250828.jpg

NSR wheelarch / sill end

P1250838.jpg

Most of the undercarriage looks serviceable.

P1250830.jpg

Oh dear - dampness on the tank.

P1250831.jpg

That would be it - looks like hose clamped onto hose on the filler neck. 'Jack the test' won't like that.

P1250832.jpg

OSR jacking point.

P1250837.jpg

OSF matches the rest.

P1290422.jpg

And that was it. I put it away for the winter while I was off spotting for y'all in Thailand.

So, the beginning of the end, think ye?

GOOD WORK :roll:

Think again. Some proper progress has been made; I have weld burns on my fore-arms to prove it!

I'll bring you up to date next time next time I'm on, but rather than scratching my arse in front of the laptop, every spare 10 minutes is spent on my back getting filthy. My aim is for you to see this at Chumley in three and a half weeks. Wish me luck!

Excellent save, and I hope the welding goes well.

That ramp is somewhat worrying, good work on reversing up the thing, I wouldn't have liked to have tried that.

If you're welding the inner sill or anything that may go through to the interior its less stressful if you remove the interior carpet and have someone inside the car on "fire patrol" with extinguisher/bottle of water. I'm usually on fire patrol, not the welder ;)

Interesting to see that the ramp is getting more attention than the Lada. A bit like Robbie when he left Take That.

And quite right too! It's a work of art!

Glad to see the car getting some attention....will you invite previous owner, Edwin to the show if its ready in time?

There's a late Samara in the same shade as this car, around the north of Bolton. P298 XUA I think it is (the letters are right, but I'm not quite sure of the numbers as I only ever see it passing the other way on the road).

Thanks for all the encouraging comments guys. Now I have declared my intentions, I have you all on my side to get this thing to Chodley. Sadly I won't be towing a low-loader with crap to re-construct the ramp there. However, I have a few more super-shite mingebag bodges to share with you - watch this space...

Barn find!

P1290249.jpg

So, after a winter in a damp barn door in the Yorkshire Dales she fired up after a glug of juice down the gullet. Winnar!

The battery I'd kept on a windowsill in the house with a solar trickle charger on it.

P1290260.jpg

I brought the BX in to jump it off, but didn't need it.

P1290256.jpg

Let's get crackin' with the knackin'.

I figured with all this floor welding, I'd have the seats and carpet out, not only because I could see underlay from below the car, but because the interior was minging, I mean really skanky. And the front seats are shit, like trying to drive whilst sitting on a milk crate. I couldn't live with that for long.

P1290262.jpg

The seats have an unusual sliding mechanism; they slide at the back, but pivot over this rolling bar at the front. As a result, they offer no support under the thighs when pushed forward or back.

P1290263.jpg

Rancid carpet out. That'll clean up.

P1290272.jpg

74p cashback!

P1290278.jpg

There was impressive layering of different under-lays and sound proofing. Only the rectangular felty one in the NSF foot well was rotten and crumbly, so that can easily be copied and replaced.

P1290275.jpg

As a mojo booster, I decided to try to fit these seats from the 214 I'm breaking in the top field. The colour is almost a perfect match, they're the right size and fairly comfy. ACE!

P1290415.jpg

After hacking off the back of the runners, they bolted straight in, and I fashioned front brackets from old dexian or summert.

P1290416.jpg

That worked a treat, but the gearstick still rests on my left thigh, even in 3rd gear. I considered grinding it off and welding it back at an angle, but I discovered this in time:

P1290406.jpg

There's a handy spline on the linkage where it goes into the back of the gearbox, under the diff. I'll have a go at adjusting that when the seats go back in.

Happily, the floor was surpisingly clean under the carpet (apart from the assortment of self-tapping screws that had been dropped between the layers as those pesky vodka-addled Ruskies threw this effort together).

OSR foot well:

P1290282.jpg

Opposite side:

P1290280.jpg

This is how it was below:

P1250828.jpg

And so the grinding began. An easy one to start.

P1290291.jpg

Yes, I do like to get my money's worth from grinding disks!

A patch was coaxed out of a mangled section of 309 front panel. I can usually find some scrap with creases in the right places.

P1290292.jpg

Note the wet 'fire sponge' on stand by. I also shielded the rest of the interior, and importanly the windows from sparks. They can soon screw the job up.

P1290298.jpg

Before you rip into the 'pigeon shit', this was my first EVER attempt at welding sheet metal on a car. I have only have a gasless mig that I found in the shed and repaired with bits from a BMX. I think my father bought it from an agricultural sale in town - he tends to go along and bid £1 on junk if it doesn't look like it's selling. So his workshop just fills up with crap. He didn't even know what it was 'til I told him!

Beggars can't be choosers, so I bought some gasless wire and a nozzle tip, and it sort of works ok now. I hate it to be honest - there's no adjustment of speed or power, only lo/hi. High burns holes for fun, so low it is. I'm getting better.

I have a £30 arc welder, which I love using, but it's only good for really chunky stuff, anything less than about 3mm it shreds.

As this thread goes on, you'll learn this truly is a minge-bag project. I ought to tot up sometime, but I think we're still under £250, including a whole new exhaust system and a welder I can't use on it.

I had a tickle with the grinder underneath and went around it with the shitmig again, just because I could get to it, and needed the practice. Looks better* for it anyhoo.

P1290321.jpg

The nearby wheelarch...

P1290309.jpg

You can see the hole in front of the wheel.

P1290311.jpg

I shit you not, these side skirts are held on by two self-tappers at each end, and the fact that usually the doors are closed! I told you this was a quality machine.

P1290315.jpg

P1290317.jpg

That hole grew a bit, as they do...

P1290327.jpg

We'll leave it at that for now. More later.

P1290380.jpg

Any advice much appreciated (other than 'Take it to the bridge!), I'm very much a noob at this! Be gentle...

G'night.

Good job just getting stuck in there, learn by doing :D

No criticism from me on the welding, as I have never tried it myself, so any attempts from me would likely be worse, it can always be ground back. I would like to learn to weld, but my BIL can weld so I generally let him, I just do fire patrol and grinding duties.