Mk1 SEAT Ibiza & Malaga Register

SEATMad

So after being inspired by such threads as The Wedgister and the K reg Mondeo register, I think it's time to form a register to account for all Mk1 Ibiza's left on UK roads. However I can't do this without the help of community. So I'm asking for our help to try and track down all Mk1 Ibiza's left in the UK. I've done some work tonight and I think I've got a good starting base. I want to account for all either on the road currently or have been taxed and tested within the last five year as it's feasible that these could return to the road at some point. So far I have the following:

PRE FACELIFT, C-H REG

E686 FMH, 1.2 , GL, WHITE, SORN (MOT JUL 2019)

F821 FWG, 1.2,  L, WHITE,  TAXED UNTIL MAY 2024

F474 LFG ,903cc,  SPECIAL, RED, SORN (MOT DEC 2023)

F587 SRU, 1.2, GL, BLACK, SORN (MOT MAR 2024)

G536 XLM, 903cc,  SPECIAL, WHITE, TAXED UNTIL JAN 2025

H763 XDM, 1.5,  SXI, BLACK, TAXED UNTIL JULY 2024

H315 YTC, 1.5, SPECIAL, BLUE, TAXED UNTIL JULY 2024

H126 DFD, 1.5, SXI, WHITE, SORN (MOT AUG 2023) 

H299 VAA 1.2,  L, RED, LAST MOT JUN 2019

POST FACELIFT, H-K REG

J784 GME, 1.2,  GLX, WHITE, TAXED UNTIL DEC 2024

K649 HVJ, 1.2,  GLX, RED, SORN NOV 2020

Now, as for Malaga's. I'm aware that they are practically extinct now. However I'm making it my life's mission to finding one as I believe there must be at least one sitting/rotting somewhere. To that end I believe recording all the Malaga's I can from the past as this might aid my mission. So far I've got nothing so I will need your help with this also. 

If anyone has any information or knowledge on any I've missed off this list please let me know so I can update my register. 

Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

I miss the Malaga. It was (in my eyes) a seriously stylish car.

I wonder if any Ibiza Sport Lines exist? Again, another seriously stylish car.

Completely agree. I've made it well known on here how the Malaga is my ultimate dream car. 

As for sportline's, according to HML there are non taxed and 3 SORN so its possible one could still be kicking about. 

5 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

On a related note, I wonder if there are any Rondas left? 

I believe the Ronda sold as the Malaga hatchback in the UK. The likelihood of one of those still in existence in any capacity is very slim indeed, still won't stop me from trying to find one! 

5 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

I grew up near a couple of SEAT dealers, but I don't think that I ever saw a Ronda/Malaga hatchback. I used to see a lot of post-facelift Ibizas fited with 'BRIO' bodykits, though.

Yeah I can't recall ever seeing one in my lifetime either. Only very vaguely remember seeing a couple of Malaga saloons and plenty of Mk1 Ibiza's. Here's a brochure photo from around 1986. Interestingly, D612 UJB belonged to a red 1.5 Ibiza and was last taxed in 1996 so long gone now. 

Eg58nA0XkAAixib.jpg

I don't know what became of @Mr_Bo11oxFrench import Mk1 Ibiza SXi? Thread here:

There used to be another fella on here who sold his MINT mk1 Ibiza for something like £1800 if I remember correctly. I seem to remember it was a black mk1 with the same multispoke alloys like those on Bollox mk1. It was a proper honey. 

First car was a 1.5 GLX Mk1 Ibiza. Bought it off the son of the deceased owner. They said made and offer and they took £80.

It had five gears and felt very exotic in a sea of Mk2 Fiesta's and Metro's.

Had to scrap it as it never made it through the next MOT. Pretty sure it was an F reg. Loved it.

Oh and it was a 'system Porsche'!

Those Ronda interior shots are interesting. In LHD markets the Ronda had a different dashboard altogether, I guess for the few RHD models they expected to sell they couldn't be bothered tooling up another variant so just used the Malaga saloon dash.

https://www.milanuncios.com/seat-de-segunda-mano/seat-ronda-505016544.htm

image.png.2e2f7a2d77c3aca4d549d1eab2c11460.png

I believe uk spec Seat Malagas are extinct. 

We think the last one was in Leeds about 10 yrs ago before there was an attempted theft, small engine fire and it ended up in Copart. I've got a photo of it somewhere, will try to find it. - found it. 

Screenshot_20240324-231428.png.f28004590e2efaade94300bfbffdfc70.png

Nigel Bickle had an imported one a few years back and there were a coupe of other imports floating about but I think original UK cars are long gone. 

Had a quick trawl of the internet, few more for you...

J125VDU - currently SORN, MOT expired last year.

K984PRG - as above.

J960HNV - MOT expired last June but not SORNed

H24KJH - not MOT'd in a very long time, but SORN.

J851LLA - again no MOT, but taxed until the end of this year

image.jpeg.586a92206bb6210d0b1f83e663b90dcc.jpeg

image.jpeg.7f3dd82b242cc6b139394e5ba483f878.jpeg

image.jpeg.2af413a296adcb086b1e708e59c80a08.jpeg

image.jpeg.5245d7146198391cce5ce245a65cb5f4.jpeg

image.jpeg.5661a1fe61205559011b9e1ad04b422c.jpeg

When we were young my friend's mother and late father owned a white Ibiza 3 door hatchback. Not sure if you want the details because it was traded in 30 years ago and probably scrapped 20+ years ago. 

It was a white 1.2 L and iirc the registration was E841 TNG. 

8 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

The black one I remember for sale a couple of years back is here:

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/221734/1988-ibiza-miles-north-yorkshire?page=1

It was just under £5k, not £1800 😂

Fantastic example though. I seem to remember the seller was a member on here, too. 

that was @richbraith's car and yes it was a lovely example. Its still around and was driven by Hubnut/Dollywobbler on a video recently 

Great idea doing this.  I can't add much more, except possibly talking to Mark Serné and his son on the FB page, as he has a few cars and tonnes of spares.  He hasn't shared his reg numbers on photos.

Also George Vine (second car on your list) recently scrapped a rotten 1.5GL and I bought a few bits from him.

I got hold of the second owner of my car, the one that rescued it  and he told me of a long parked up Ibiza somewhere on a drive in Bristol, although looking at the reg number of George's scrap car, it could be the same one.

Screenshot_20240325_085706_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Screenshot_20240325_085513_com.facebook.katana.jpg

I learned to drive in 1987 in a Malaga 1.2 hatchback, D135EFS. At least I wrote down at the time that it was a hatchback, I don't actually have a clear memory of the body shape now. It did have the weird switch pods instead of stalks, I do remember that (and stalling it numerous times at roundabouts...). Tax ran out in 1994, so very much doubt it's still around in any shape or form.

3 hours ago, coachie said:

Great idea doing this.  I can't add much more, except possibly talking to Mark Serné and his son on the FB page, as he has a few cars and tonnes of spares.  He hasn't shared his reg numbers on photos.

Mark Serne is the guy who bought my French plated Mk1 SXi, the black one

19 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Completely understand your curiosity with these, it’s probably the same as the one that keeps me awake at night wondering if there’s a Lonsdale YD41 left.

If the DVLA is to be believed (and that's a big if), DDF565Y still exists somewhere on a SORN. What state it exists in is another matter, it could well be an unrecognisable pile of corrosion under a hedge. But I'd like to think it's in some old geezer's lockup somewhere...

Just now, Soundwave said:

If the DVLA is to be believed (and that's a big if), DDF565Y still exists somewhere on a SORN. What state it exists in is another matter, it could well be an unrecognisable pile of corrosion under a hedge. But I'd like to think it's in some old geezer's lockup somewhere...

It was probably scrapped but DVLA not notified. That sort of thing wasn't really controlled back then