Mk1 SEAT Ibiza & Malaga Register

SEATMad

8 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

It was probably scrapped but DVLA not notified. That sort of thing wasn't really controlled back then

Yes, that's highly probable. The interesting thing is, it was showing untaxed for a while and then became SORN some time later... likely an admin error, but food for the imagination nevertheless. :D

Anyway, SEATs... I must admit, I never knew there was a Malaga hatchback! Don't ever recall seeing one of those.

Apologies for going incognito today, work has been kicking off big style which means a very busy day for me.. 

There's too much for me to reply to so I'll generalise. Thank you for supporting me with this and thank you to those who have provided me with more VRN's to record. Good to see some Malaga data as well. As for Malaga's, I'm with @sierramanon this. I'm convinced that there's got to be at least one hiding away somewhere waiting for a SEAT sucker like me to come along and save it and it's my life's mission to find one and save it. As for the Lonsdale, as much as i'd love there to be at least one still kicking about, i fear that could be a bridge too far..

Thank you all for getting involved and being so supportive of me for doing this! :) 

6 minutes ago, SEATMad said:

As for Malaga's, I'm with @sierramanon this. I'm convinced that there's got to be at least one hiding away somewhere waiting for a SEAT sucker like me to come along and save it and it's my life's mission to find one and save it. 

I've been waiting for one to turn up since I missed buying the Copart one. 

If money was no object, I'd import a RHD one from South Africa but money is definitely an object so it ain't happening just yet. 😂 

3 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I've been waiting for one to turn up since I missed buying the Copart one. 

If money was no object, I'd import a RHD one from South Africa but money is definitely an object so it ain't happening just yet. 😂 

Yeah I've also been keeping my ear to the ground for years now with nothing. Still that doesn't deter me at all I'm still holding out hope! (I know I'm mental 😂)

Very good idea about SA. Did they sell them over there? 

15 minutes ago, egg said:

This is the kind of madness we approve of round 'ere. Keep up the good work.

Thank you mate! I'll celebrate with you all once I'm successful! 😂

3 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I think if there was a Lonsdale it would have been spotted before now. 

Yeah agreed. Still a very slight possibility that there could be one lurking about. Just imagine the scenes the AS community found not only a Malaga, but a Lonsdale also! Fuck it I'll chuck in a Sao Penza in the mix as well! 

1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

import a RHD one from South Africa

Got some other potential sources in Malta and Cyprus, ok probably slim pickings these days but you just never know. Or something hiding in Ireland 

I'm sure DVLA have ballsed up the data for that pair of Porker-powered Ibiza 1.5 GLX's I owned in the '90s. I do know that my blue 3dr C880RAN was condemned shortly after I sold it in 1997. And my gold 5dr G193BDD was scrapped in mid-2004, some 4 and a half years after I sold it. The gold car was actually built in 1988, so I think it lasted daily use really well, despite its premature body corrosion. I can't have been the only person who loved it then. I keep wondering what its mileage was at the end, I took it to 102000 miles.

Anyway, for some reason, both cars have SORNs in place, how odd.

I've just remembered a work colleague used to own a 3dr 1.5 Crono in (Alpine?) White, another end-of-line special with the quirky switches. His was G98RDV. Supposed to have been scrapped in 2004 also, but again on SORN. Why is that, do you know! 

I'm just catching up with this thread. Nice work. I didn't know the Malaga shared the same paddle switchgear as the early Ibiza. I'm wondering if the Malaga still had the early switchgear at the end of its production, 1992 J reg I believe? I suppose it would do, as the later VW-type dash switches would look well out of place in what is essentially an old Fiat. 

Malaga hatchback C105ORX is (or was, I should say) the same shade of metallic blue as my first Ibiza, C880RAN. Stratos Blue, nice colour.

I'm not sure Ian Seabrook would approve of the wiper pattern on that early Malaga hatchback, the wipers seem to be parked way too high.

And I suppose the rear wiper button would be an immovable blanking plate on the Malaga Saloon.

18 hours ago, MantaGTE85 said:

I'm just catching up with this thread. Nice work. I didn't know the Malaga shared the same paddle switchgear as the early Ibiza. I'm wondering if the Malaga still had the early switchgear at the end of its production, 1992 J reg I believe? I suppose it would do, as the later VW-type dash switches would look well out of place in what is essentially an old Fiat. 

Malaga hatchback C105ORX is (or was, I should say) the same shade of metallic blue as my first Ibiza, C880RAN. Stratos Blue, nice colour.

I'm not sure Ian Seabrook would approve of the wiper pattern on that early Malaga hatchback, the wipers seem to be parked way too high.

And I suppose the rear wiper button would be an immovable blanking plate on the Malaga Saloon.

It looks like the Malaga hatch had a slightly different interior design to that of the saloon to me, I could be wrong though. 

16 hours ago, ChinaTom said:

IMG_0180.jpeg.609e147ad64a70d29e0549c9b2c02fdf.jpeg

this is Fundenhall in Norfolk. Streetview here and the black arrow is an Ibiza.

Yeah looks quite sorry for itself. Looks like an SXI as well. Maybe it'll come up one day. 

Checked https://www.mobile.de/ out of curiosity and there are 0 Malaga for sale there that tells how rare they are.

By comparison, there are 9 1 gen Ibizas. https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?dam=0&fr=%3A1993&isSearchRequest=true&ms=22500%3B7%3B%3B%3B&ref=dsp&s=Car&sb=rel&vc=Car

And this 1991 with only 44k km looks nice.

a69d32f4-4b5e-4578-b5a7-dcf45549b21d?rule=mo-1024.jpg

2 hours ago, SEATMad said:

It looks like the Malaga hatch had a slightly different interior design to that of the saloon to me, I could be wrong though. 

Yeah looks quite sorry for itself. Looks like an SXI as well. Maybe it'll come up one day. 

It isn’t actually that bad - I drive past it most days. It’s in the bit of the yard that doesn’t get parted out. Private stock so to speak…

On 25/03/2024 at 20:16, SEATMad said:

Very good idea about SA. Did they sell them over there? 

I seem to remember that they did, unless I've dreamt it, which is quite possible these days. My memory isn't what it was. 

22 hours ago, mk2_craig said:

Got some other potential sources in Malta and Cyprus, ok probably slim pickings these days but you just never know. Or something hiding in Ireland 

Yeah, I wonder if there might also be some UK spec ones abroad, dragged over by ex pats and in a shed of a French holiday home or abandoned in the car park under a block of Spanish flats. 

I'm off to northern Cyprus in a few weeks. If I see one when I'm leathered, I might do something stupid. Anyone fancy an adventure? 

58 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I seem to remember that they did, unless I've dreamt it, which is quite possible these days. My memory isn't what it was. 

Yeah, I wonder if there might also be some UK spec ones abroad, dragged over by ex pats and in a shed of a French holiday home or abandoned in the car park under a block of Spanish flats. 

I'm off to northern Cyprus in a few weeks. If I see one when I'm leathered, I might do something stupid. Anyone fancy an adventure? 

Yeah very good point it's quite possible, especially in Spain! 

If you do, pick one up for me as well 😂😂

1 hour ago, ChinaTom said:

It isn’t actually that bad - I drive past it most days. It’s in the bit of the yard that doesn’t get parted out. Private stock so to speak…

When I checked google street view it's been sat for a couple of years so hopefully your right. If you can keep your eye on it and see if it moves anytime soon? 

• 2 weeks later...

I do like that! You wouldn't know what year that Malaga was made, by any chance? The interior looks quite well-appointed actually. There seems to be more console and stowage than either of my early Ibiza 1.5 GLX's had. I bet this Malaga  has the warning light 'check control' on the instruments as well. 

19 minutes ago, MantaGTE85 said:

I do like that! You wouldn't know what year that Malaga was made, by any chance? The interior looks quite well-appointed actually. There seems to be more console and stowage than either of my early Ibiza 1.5 GLX's had. I bet this Malaga  has the warning light 'check control' on the instruments as well. 

according to the Facebook post I saw the picture on its a 1988 Málaga injection 

On 15/04/2024 at 15:30, wesacosa said:

not a UK car but phwaaaar 

did we get that Sporty Malaga over here too

Screenshot_20240415_152727_Chrome.jpg

Looking at my March/April 2000 Parkers Guide. The highest UK spec listed, was the 1.5 GLX. Spec included Central Locking , Leccy front windows, Alloys, Velour Trim. 

While I'm there, I might as well listed the rest ! 

Malaga models.

1.2 cc variants: L, LE, Touring, Special, XL, GLX. 

1.5 cc variants: GL,  Nov 86 Primero edition based on 1.5 GL, GLX. 

Also 1.7 Diesel, no spec given for 1990 only?

Ibiza models up to 1990.

900 cc variants: Disco 3dr, Comfort 5dr. Special, Designer.

1.2 cc: Junior 3dr, Crono, Designer, Special, LE 3dr, L, XL, XLS, XLS, GL 3dr, GLX. 

1.5 cc: Special, Crono 3dr, GL, GLX, GLX Injection 1990 5dr, SXI 3dr.

Special edition June 88: 1.2 Del Sol based on 1.2 GL 3dr. 

19 hours ago, sierraman said:

IMG_0820.jpeg

If only I had the time and money to import one direct from Spain! Someone who’s not on this forum suggested importing one and doing a RHD conversion but I don’t see how that’s feasible unfortunately….