The grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 hours ago, Wibble said:

Then that’s about the only Irish system that’s fair! Inheritance tax is downright robbery. Threshold of, what 32%? And then 32% of the rest on top, or is it 33% now? Sorry, I’m executor of my late Aunt’s estate and the tax is crippling and the process exhausting. Three and a half years since she died and we’re still not done😣

IHT is 40% in the UK 

I'll be helping my kids as much as I can. The country is fucked up and it's not their fault. My mother gave me £10k for the deposit on my first house in 2003. There's no way I'd have been able to save that amount back then. I've always been a big spender. My eldest daughter will be 28 on  halloween and has lived by herself since she was 17. She's always worked even when she put herself through university. Her partner also works as an I.T. bloke installing phones and internet into business for a private firm. They are both on fair money but still struggle. They only have a council flat and he's just recently handed his car back to the finance company to save even more money. I do bung them money now and then when they visit even though they never ask for it. It's disgusting how two people with decent jobs are struggling to survive with only the basics to pay for. I genuinely think they'd be better off on the dole.

We've never took a penny off either my son or stepson in board. He's been to uni for the lasr five years but even when home we never asked for a penny. My son is 17 and doesn't pay anything either. I wanted to charge him but my partner absolutley refused. He takes home £120 a week from me but still has fuck all come payday. I'd love to know what he spends it on. He doesn't drink or ever really go out.

Tldr. The country is a shitstorm and the kids will have it a lot worse than us. Help them while you still can.

(Being a tight cunt is a pet hate of mine. I've never met anyone with that trait I actually like).

The agreement we had with our sons was that once they start full time work they started paying if they were still living at home.

We thrashed that out during a formal family discussion, which we have every few years, along with things like house/flat deposits. That way they know exactly where they stand and it reduces any possible accusations of favouritism.

The youngest gets money bunged at times due to things like moving flats and waiting for his deposit to be returned. At the end of the day he's just getting an advance on his inheritance which is far more useful to him now and his brother is happy with it .

14 hours ago, artdjones said:

The Irish system is pretty fair. They take 5% of your assets every year to pay for care, also 80% of any income from pensions, including the state one. After three years the family home is removed from the equation, so whatever happens 85% of it's value remains for the estate when the person being cared for dies. Obviously richer people don't take part in the scheme, as it's cheaper to pay full fees, so they aren't subsidised, while those who are dirt poor (i.e. with no assets or private income) get fully funded. And for those in the middle the main family asset isn't totally dissipated, leaving nothing behind for the family.

WTF? A government scheme that actually works and is fair to everyone?  Maybe if our government didn’t consider having assets of £16k rich enough to fund your own care, people wouldn’t go to the trouble of setting up trusts etc .

1 minute ago, Metal Guru said:

WTF? A government scheme that actually works and is fair to everyone?  Maybe if our government didn’t consider having assets of £16k rich enough to fund your own care, people wouldn’t go to the trouble of setting up trusts etc .

£16k won't do much good, it will last approximately 10 weeks.

1 hour ago, chadders said:

At the end of the day he's just getting an advance on his inheritance

Fil lent us the money to buy the place we have now in 2015 and we just had to pay the interest on it till he dies. It was £300 a month for a three storey four bedroom house. Two Christmases ago he just said keep it and don't bother paying anymore.

I suppose we're just spreading our good fortune. When he does cark it her brother will get the equivalent to what he gave us.

17 minutes ago, Mally said:

325k one person. If your spouse dies before you allowance goes up to 650k

Plus:

• £175,000 – since 2015 you've also been able to take advantage of something called the 'residence nil-rate band', commonly known as the 'main residence' band. This is an additional allowance you'll receive ON TOP of the existing £325,000 inheritance tax allowance if you pass on a main residence to your children or grandchildren. 

So up to 1m as the 175k can be doubled.

I paid housekeeping when I lived at mums and had a job. Money wasn't fab anyway so it did get spent on food and bills and everything else. 

I didn't mind tbh. When I moved out and started paying rent it was, in my head "only x more than I'm already paying". 

I think it's a good idea as it gets the main key bill set up in your head from a young age. I'd love to be rich enough to charge my kids it but save it all up instead for them. Who knows! 

I don't think about what the kids will do when their older yet. A 1 bed flat is £950/1000 a month on our estate so they've got no chance 😂

Since I started any sort of work I was always expected to cough up come week end a percentage of my earnings, they’d not give a rats arse how much you’d pissed away, that £50 had better be on the table on Friday. If you had a day off during the week they would want you doing another job or picking up extra hours instead of sitting about, sounded harsh at the time but if you weren’t bringing any money in you were expected to hit the high road. Harsh but it gave me the work ethic and that there’s no room for baggage. It’s only when you actually move out you realised what good value £50 a week was to cover your board and lodgings. I fully expect to have the same policy for my kids as they get older and start a job. 

It’s a difficult life for kids these days in a lot of circumstances it’s a nice car or a house several years down the line but often a harsh situation hardens your resolve.

I paid board while living with my folks after uni. I never thought for a second I'd ever be in a position to buy a house, so instead of trying to save up say £10k for a mortgage deposit (can you tell this was a few years back??) I saved up about £3k to cover a deposit on renting somewhere and covering other assorted costs with kitting out a house, and financed a new Qashqai with some of my income. Had I known what I knew now, that about 6 months later my gran would offer to chip in a large amount of the money I needed for a mortgage deposit (getting my share of the inheritance early, basically) and that the Megane I was driving and was convinced was about to die on me would actually pass it's next MOT with flying colours, I would have not had the car and probably been in a better financial situation for the first 6 months or so of living in this house (a situation that being made redundant and finding a much better job ultimately fixed) - I would probably not have been able to move out much sooner than I did and wouldn't have got as lucky as I did with this house, though.

Why are Dyson vacuum cleaners so fucking shit?   Dad, “don’t bring your own hoover, I’ve got a Dyson” tried to vacuum his house with it and it took 20 mins to clean all the shit out of it and it still doesn’t work, in fact it’s shit a load of dust all over the carpet. Flimsy as f00k too..

9484D417-9D82-4E0C-8DEA-286DA71B47F6.jpeg

F6CBB49E-4A7D-4FA2-8BF1-4F292291FEAA.jpeg

4 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I paid housekeeping when I lived at mums and had a job. Money wasn't fab anyway so it did get spent on food and bills and everything else. 

I didn't mind tbh. When I moved out and started paying rent it was, in my head "only x more than I'm already paying". 

I think it's a good idea as it gets the main key bill set up in your head from a young age. I'd love to be rich enough to charge my kids it but save it all up instead for them. Who knows! 

I don't think about what the kids will do when their older yet. A 1 bed flat is £950/1000 a month on our estate so they've got no chance 😂

My mum had the attitude that you had to pay something towards your keep once working, but at a level so you could still save enough so you didn’t stay forever, but not too low , So you also stayed forever. 

14 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

Why are Dyson vacuum cleaners so fucking shit?   Dad, “don’t bring your own hoover, I’ve got a Dyson” tried to vacuum his house with it and it took 20 mins to clean all the shit out of it and it still doesn’t work, in fact it’s shit a load of dust all over the carpet. Flimsy as f00k too..

9484D417-9D82-4E0C-8DEA-286DA71B47F6.jpeg

F6CBB49E-4A7D-4FA2-8BF1-4F292291FEAA.jpeg

How filthy is the filter on the bottom side? Is the brushroll turning at all when reclined? Is it clogged by the brushroll? Is the little hose underneath split? 

If you think that a dc07 is flimsy and shite just wait until you use a modern one 😂😭

10 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

How filthy is the filter on the bottom side? Is the brushroll turning at all when reclined? Is it clogged by the brushroll? Is the little hose underneath split? 

If you think that a dc07 is flimsy and shite just wait until you use a modern one 😂😭

The whole thing was rammed with shite, it was like someone had vacuumed up a few cremated remains. I spent 20 mins unclogging it all and got a few lungs full of dust, there’s a pipe down the middle and it was absolutely clogged solid. Weirdly the filter at the bottom seems to be a recent replacement and is clean. The brush spins around ok too. After all that cleaning it still didn’t work, in fact it deposited some human ash all over the carpet when I turned it on which I couldn’t clean up because the vacuum isn’t working.

I was going to do the decent thing, take it outside and smash it around a lamp post but seeing as it’s not mine I wound the cord back up and put it back where I found it. Would any Dyson perverts like it if my Dads decides to bin it? 

11 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Yes, but only on estates worth over around 600k. Despite price rises there's not that many of those.

Exactly and sorry, I should have said the threshold is €32k not %, so unless your a spouse or dependant, you’re taxed at 32% on everything over €32k. Oh, I’m not a benefactor by the way, just think it’s robbery given the amount of tax she paid in her lifetime.

3 hours ago, Lankytim said:

The whole thing was rammed with shite, it was like someone had vacuumed up a few cremated remains. I spent 20 mins unclogging it all and got a few lungs full of dust, there’s a pipe down the middle and it was absolutely clogged solid. Weirdly the filter at the bottom seems to be a recent replacement and is clean. The brush spins around ok too. After all that cleaning it still didn’t work, in fact it deposited some human ash all over the carpet when I turned it on which I couldn’t clean up because the vacuum isn’t working.

I was going to do the decent thing, take it outside and smash it around a lamp post but seeing as it’s not mine I wound the cord back up and put it back where I found it. Would any Dyson perverts like it if my Dads decides to bin it? 

even if a filter looks clean , it may not be , I had this with a hoover used for plaster , filter was white and new looking till I dropped it some water and it turned grey and lumpy .......

1 hour ago, Wibble said:

Exactly and sorry, I should have said the threshold is €32k not %, so unless your a spouse or dependant, you’re taxed at 32% on everything over €32k. Oh, I’m not a benefactor by the way, just think it’s robbery given the amount of tax she paid in her lifetime.

Despite the fact that I'm going to attempt to leave my kids more than the inheritance tax ceiling, I occassionally wonder what would happen if inheritance tax was 100% of everything over say £1000.

Obviously people would take inheritance tax planning more seriously.   People would think carefully about how big an asset they needed to live in, and downsizing might be more a thing. People might spend money enjoying retirement, as they try to spend it all before its too late.

Also gifts during thier lifetime to offspring might be more likely.  In which case money might be transferred down to the next generation when they actually need it, when they have young kids and a mortgage.  Rather than, now, when people typically inherit when thier own kids have left home, and they've already paid off thier mortgage. 

I've spent 20 years telling my parents, spend it whilst you can, anything you leave to me will be spent on unsuitable cars and holidays to somewhere hot. 

13 minutes ago, New POD said:

Despite the fact that I'm going to attempt to leave my kids more than the inheritance tax ceiling, I occassionally wonder what would happen if inheritance tax was 100% of everything over say £1000.

Obviously people would take inheritance tax planning more seriously.   People would think carefully about how big an asset they needed to live in, and downsizing might be more a thing. People might spend money enjoying retirement, as they try to spend it all before its too late.

Also gifts during thier lifetime to offspring might be more likely.  In which case money might be transferred down to the next generation when they actually need it, when they have young kids and a mortgage.  Rather than, now, when people typically inherit when thier own kids have left home, and they've already paid off thier mortgage. 

I've spent 20 years telling my parents, spend it whilst you can, anything you leave to me will be spent on unsuitable cars and holidays to somewhere hot. 

whats the chances this lurgy ridden govt will change the rules weeks before you shuffle on from this existance having spent time ill being unable to update the will

I'm an executor of my Late Uncles estate,things are progressing slowly because I live in Ireland and he lived in the UK.

I received a council tax bill for £1,200 during the week,since it's six months since the Grant of probate was issued,and after that the local authority charge council tax again.

Can't say I'm impressed with this,seeing as the property is vacant,after next March it will be nearly 2k!!🙄

3 hours ago, Wibble said:

I don't see the problem really. The threshold for a spouse or child is €335k. Most people leave their money to their spouse or child. If you aren't one of the immediate family you pay 33% in tax on the bequest. Everyone wants services and there must be some way to pay for them.

57 minutes ago, artdjones said:

I don't see the problem really. The threshold for a spouse or child is €335k. Most people leave their money to their spouse or child. If you aren't one of the immediate family you pay 33% in tax on the bequest. Everyone wants services and there must be some way to pay for them.

Sorry, I disagree. She never married and had no children, so I would say my Mother was her immediate family. What services? From my experience in dealing with her estate, the only service she got was water and they tried charging for that for a while. She had to pay local property tax, pay for refuse collection and health care. I may be missing something as I don’t live there but seems a pretty raw deal to me.

1 hour ago, junkyarddog said:

I'm an executor of my Late Uncles estate,things are progressing slowly because I live in Ireland and he lived in the UK.

I received a council tax bill for £1,200 during the week,since it's six months since the Grant of probate was issued,and after that the local authority charge council tax again.

Can't say I'm impressed with this,seeing as the property is vacant,after next March it will be nearly 2k!!🙄

You are experiencing the same as me but from opposite sides of the water. I’m pretty sure you could get around the council tax as the property is empty. Worth looking into further. Good luck!