The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, SH1TE said:

It brightens your otherwise dull day👍 Social service-seeing as cutbacks in care in the community. 

If you need help:-

FRANK or Samaritans  are 24/7. 

What a fucking weapon you are. 

Give us all peace. 

Changing the topic slightly..

Spotted a pair of poorly advertised Makita  nut runners on eBay, local with no delivery thus cutting out interest from bidders miles away. 

Set an alarm on my phone to remind me to bid.. the countdown begins, get ready with a bid 10 seconds before the end, the tension mounts enter a bid aaaand…the fucking screen won’t load. No internet connection, obviously miss the auction and have to go “cold turkey” with that buzz you get when you get a BARG. 

It seems to be an anomaly that you can still see the time ticking down on eBay even though the connection has been lost.  Not the first time I’ve been caught out but that’s life I suppose. 

6079C675-EB38-4ACC-83A9-4CE5C717C11D.png

1 minute ago, Remspoor said:

So now we can close this and all the other forums.

I think the "looking into things further" is key. The internet stranger is one source - if it seems to tally generally with other sources, it's probably good advice!

If it seems wrong and at odds to all the other sources you've researched, it's probably bad advice.

10 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

Spotted a pair of poorly advertised Makita  nut runners on eBay, local with no delivery thus cutting out interest from bidders miles away. 

Set an alarm on my phone to remind me to bid.. the countdown begins, get ready with a bid 10 seconds before the end, the tension mounts enter a bid aaaand…the fucking screen won’t load. No internet connection, obviously miss the auction and have to go “cold turkey” with that buzz you get when you get a BARG. 

It seems to be an anomaly that you can still see the time ticking down on eBay even though the connection has been lost.  Not the first time I’ve been caught out but that’s life I suppose. 

Had it many a time on ebay. 

25 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

Theres a couple of services you can use to automate the bidding. I use one called Gixen occasionally. 

5 minutes ago, davehedgehog31 said:

Theres a couple of services you can use to automate the bidding. I use one called Gixen occasionally. 

I’ve used most of those and used up all the “free” bids before you need to pay for service, although I haven’t used any in years. They did seem to work quite well. I should look into them again. 

5 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I would never rent a property to a relative or friend, you’ll always end up doing things to keep them happy that cost you money that you wouldn’t do for a stranger. And do you get thanks? No they moan about you charging them rent because they feel entitled to stay for free.

Cant pay the rent? Doesn’t matter , you’re their friend , you don’t mind do you? After all you have a spare house , you’ve got plenty of spare cash obviously. Rent increase? Never, they’ll be paying the same in 20 years time.

We got the mortgage over 15 years about four years ago. So in eleven years time I'll be 61 and it'll be a nice little lump sum in the hip for fuck all. 

Apart from the chew from my mother.

6 hours ago, SH1TE said:

...... is just shy of early teen.  

When they earn a full time wage they will be expected to pay or move out- exactly as we the parents were told. 

At 25 living with mortgage independently skint. 

No way will it be..... 

Serious questions here..... 

How long back were you 25? Late 80s, early 90s or previously?

Studied until 25 or at home saving a deposit? If a degree - still free then or loaded with debt? 

You ARE aware that wages against cost of living are a fucking catastrophe in recent years - rentals mentioned elsewhere being a prime example.

I'm hoping your kids are walking into Trader or Nasa spec positions and can just walk into an affordable life. There are working couples still not able to do that FFS - including medical professionals etc.... - they are all parasites too? Or just too dumb to get it right? 

My son is 12 and I've explained to him the massive disparity between previous generations pay and cost of housing etc... - his fault as he did ask when we complained about prices both here and in Brussels. 

Again... Seriously intrigued as to your viewpoint. 

Bearded fucking explorer on YouTube.

Been tramping around a house near here acting like it's abandoned despite the lawn being mown and signs of life inside.  Those signs being GFs mates dad who was inside and terrified.  It was 6 months ago but they've only just found out about the video.

Edit, if you follow the link could you like the comment from 'Emily Unknown'.  We'd prefer the top comment was from someone (my girlfriend) calling him out rather than someone speculating how much the Land Rover is worth.

Thanks to Dave Hedgehog.

48 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

Serious questions here..... 

How long back were you 25? Late 80s, early 90s or previously?

Studied until 25 or at home saving a deposit? If a degree - still free then or loaded with debt? 

You ARE aware that wages against cost of living are a fucking catastrophe in recent years - rentals mentioned elsewhere being a prime example.

I'm hoping your kids are walking into Trader or Nasa spec positions and can just walk into an affordable life. There are working couples still not able to do that FFS - including medical professionals etc.... - they are all parasites too? Or just too dumb to get it right? 

My son is 12 and I've explained to him the massive disparity between previous generations pay and cost of housing etc... - his fault as he did ask when we complained about prices both here and in Brussels. 

Again... Seriously intrigued as to your viewpoint. 

Maybe people will be horrified,  but just the way it was:-

No heating in house and ice on inside of windows,  may have been warm in living room but bloody freezing elsewhere. 

9 years old hand throttle and Land rover across fields feeding sheep etc

11 driving tractor on dairy farm,  chain harrows,  ploughing etc -  sandwich if lucky with you. 

Drinking in the field or local pub Sunday - way it was

100 head of cattle  to milk and clean stalls in winter. 

Earned a small sum and it went on bus fare an a cinema ticket once a month,  clothes treats etc were Birthday or Christmas. 

Any extra money expected to be handed over for family household expenses -  no snazzy clothes,  LP, Tapes etc. 

The holidays I haven't had,  the working like a dog,  health issues I have from working - paid for a better standard of living than I had as a child. 

My children haven't had to experience the grim realities I did, of ice on the windows and cold wash on freezing morning. 

I didn't go to university getting pissed and shagging about as couldn't afford it,  went to college and have a few qualifications. 

You asked my point of view and it appears youth trained to be hard core consumers,  fuck about at university for a world of debt- some end up stacking shelves at Tesco. 

Had my time come again,  passport, rucksack and just piss off somewhere as a Rep or similar. 

My point of view 2007 totally fucked it and never right since,  our Children will have to take their chances. 

Getting a house,  paying it off in full and where we find ourselves now,  Just feel my time is done and cheated

Hard work,  honesty etc doesn't pay and the only person to blame is myself for swallowing societies bullshit. 

Should have been reckless,  care free and not given a fuck. 

Hindsight a wonderful thing and the reason rough arsed bastard I am. 

The people who I really wanted approval from are long dead and gone. 

I've got another grump which is slightly controversial but has been bugging me for a while....

The Wife's 93yr old grandmother had a fall at home and was hospitalised for a short time. It was deemed that she was too frail to return home and should go into a care home to be looked after. The house that she and her late husband slaved away to buy obviously needs to be sold to pay for that care. When they first met during the 40's the were both dirt poor but managed to scrimp and save and buy a modest 2 bedroom home. It's only worth £120k odd so they wasn't exactly rolling in money.  

In the same care home is another elderly lady we know from Church. She's from a wealthy family with various business interests and lived quite a comfortable life,  however a few years ago her large bungalow and monetary assets were signed over to her daughter and son-in-law so when the time came for her to go into a home the local authority picked up the tab as she had no assets on paper.  

The local authority pay the care home a reduced rate for their residents (£500 odd per week Vs the £800 residents paying for their own care) so the wife's Granny is effectively subsudising the care of the wealthy resident we know from Church. 

Is it unethical or financially savvy to dodge care home fees in this way? I'd tend to lean towards the latter because who do you want to leave your estate to? Your children and grandchildren or the local authority? Talking to some guys at work I've found it's very common to place properties into trusts to avoid paying for care homes when the time comes, either that or just signing property and assets over to the next of kin, although the local authorities are pretty good at clawing that back if it's happened within a certain time frame.  

The council have been good enough to pay for the care home for the first 12 weeks to allow the house to be sold, although when it does sell it will need to be repaid. 

TL:DR when you enter old age and end up in a home, make sure you don't have any assets. 

5 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

I've got another grump which is slightly controversial but has been bugging me for a while....

The Wife's 93yr old grandmother had a fall at home and was hospitalised for a short time. It was deemed that she was too frail to return home and should go into a care home to be looked after. The house that she and her late husband slaved away to buy obviously needs to be sold to pay for that care. When they first met during the 40's the were both dirt poor but managed to scrimp and save and buy a modest 2 bedroom home. It's only worth £120k odd so they wasn't exactly rolling in money.  

In the same care home is another elderly lady we know from Church. She's from a wealthy family with various business interests and lived quite a comfortable life,  however a few years ago her large bungalow and monetary assets were signed over to her daughter and son-in-law so when the time came for her to go into a home the local authority picked up the tab as she had no assets on paper.  

The local authority pay the care home a reduced rate for their residents (£500 odd per week Vs the £800 residents paying for their own care) so the wife's Granny is effectively subsudising the care of the wealthy resident we know from Church. 

Is it unethical or financially savvy to dodge care home fees in this way? I'd tend to lean towards the latter because who do you want to leave your estate to? Your children and grandchildren or the local authority? Talking to some guys at work I've found it's very common to place properties into trusts to avoid paying for care homes when the time comes, either that or just signing property and assets over to the next of kin, although the local authorities are pretty good at clawing that back if it's happened within a certain time frame.  

The council have been good enough to pay for the care home for the first 12 weeks to allow the house to be sold, although when it does sell it will need to be repaid. 

TL:DR when you enter old age and end up in a home, make sure you don't have any assets. 

I plan to liquidate assets,  spent the lot and leave fuck all

14 minutes ago, chadders said:

I believe that there is soon to be a lifetime cap for care home fees and also a cap on what can be charged for meals etc..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/build-back-better-our-plan-for-health-and-social-care/adult-social-care-charging-reform-further-details

I did read about that, it's being introduced next year however so won't affect what's happening now unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, chadders said:

It's caused us to rethink things a bit as our sons are a scientific researcher and a teacher, neither of which are well paid professions. It looks like we might be able to help them a bit more to get on the housing ladder.

What were you thinking? Equity release? 

Yes, it also helps with Inheritance Tax.

As it is the youngests, the researcher, current contract expires soon and then he's planning on going for another 3 year one so we've got some time yet as he'll almost certainly carry on renting. He may end up in Vienna with his girlfriend, who's also a researcher albeit in a different field, in which case they'll rent there. 

My parents would probably have been happy to do something similar with their house, except that their mortgage is going to be paid off two months before my Mum turns 80 (the joys of having lived in France for 20-odd years and missed out on price rises) so unless they both manage to stay living at home into their 90s it's unlikely to work.

The Irish system is pretty fair. They take 5% of your assets every year to pay for care, also 80% of any income from pensions, including the state one. After three years the family home is removed from the equation, so whatever happens 85% of it's value remains for the estate when the person being cared for dies. Obviously richer people don't take part in the scheme, as it's cheaper to pay full fees, so they aren't subsidised, while those who are dirt poor (i.e. with no assets or private income) get fully funded. And for those in the middle the main family asset isn't totally dissipated, leaving nothing behind for the family.

4 minutes ago, artdjones said:

The Irish system is pretty fair. They take 5% of your assets every year to pay for care, also 80% of any income from pensions, including the state one. After three years the family home is removed from the equation, so whatever happens 85% of it's value remains for the estate when the person being cared for dies. Obviously richer people don't take part in the scheme, as it's cheaper to pay full fees, so they aren't subsidised, while those who are dirt poor (i.e. with no assets or private income) get fully funded. And for those in the middle the main family asset isn't totally dissipated, leaving nothing behind for the family.

According to my brother, who's lived there since 2004, the German system is pretty unfair. If you need care but don't have the €1000-1500 pw or more it costs the state will take your house to pay for it. If you die six weeks later your family don't get a rebate, and your care has actually cost tens of thousands per week.