The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I know there are "cat people" on here but I'm not weeding the front garden in order to provide some kind of communal cat shittery.  :angry008:

The one sauntering along the pavement side of the fence yesterday hoping to pop one out had to make a diversion when it rounded the fence corner found me there weeding when it thought I was at work,

I received a nice cheque today from Mr Card protection services refunding all of my payments for the last 9 years, a grand sum of £290.

Why is this in the grump section I hear you say?

I only opened the letter after dropping off the Accord coupe at my mechanic with sticking back brakes, believed to be shagged callipers. Rear callipers for these appear to be manufactured from unobtainium sprinkled with powdered unicorn cock.

Arse.

I received a nice cheque today from Mr Card protection services refunding all of my payments for the last 9 years, a grand sum of £290.

I only opened the letter after dropping off the Accord coupe at my mechanic with sticking back brakes, believed to be shagged callipers. Rear callipers for these appear to be manufactured from unobtainium sprinkled with powdered unicorn cock.

Arse.

Indeed they are. The previous Accord suffered from sticking rear brakes. The local garage freed them off a few times, but new ones were something like £360 each! It needed them. This and the gearbox rattle is why I ended up trading it in rather than selling it on here.... Great cars, but at 200,000 miles it just wasn't worth the expense sadly.

New grump as it happened!

Having a seagull shit on your head/glasses, then trying to wipe the mess off with the tissue that you just used to wipe the dipstick after checking the oil. No other tissues in pocket. Used tee shirt. Resulting mess had to be seen to be believed. Bastard.

Indeed they are. The previous Accord suffered from sticking rear brakes. The local garage freed them off a few times, but new ones were something like £360 each! It needed them. This and the gearbox rattle is why I ended up trading it in rather than selling it on here.... Great cars, but at 200,000 miles it just wasn't worth the expense sadly.

Aye same problem, as they are quite rare they might not have any in stock either, looks like a refurb is the only option.

Listed on Lings Honda as £340 per side, or 90% of the cost of the car to replace both.

Arse.

Have you tried...

http://www.brake-eng.com/

?

Have you tried...

http://www.brake-eng.com/

?

Honda used to be able to supply pistons and seals also try brakes international.

Thanks for the pointer Cav, I'll talk to Brake Engineering in the morning!

They seem to have a part number so hopefully they have the item in stock, no prices on the website but has to be way cheaper than Honda OEM.

I'll ring Kettering Honda and see if they have owt in stock, not holding any hope out.

Arse.

Don't know what year yours is, but Brakes International's dearest Accord Coupe rear caliper is £104.

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#page=parts&pageSection=BHR&mancode=HOND&brand=HONDA&model=ACCORD&modelversion=ACCO*%2898-02%29+CG4+2.0+COUPE

I've used them over the counter as opposed to mail order, and they really are shit hot.

To the junkie fucktard on the bike that shouted abuse @ me saying i almost reversed into him,,,, maybe if you weren't wearing earphones you cunt you would have heard the reversing buzzers from the van... exchange of verbals... then the skanky junkie tries to spit on me :o  when i got out of the van he made bradley wiggins look like a pensioner :D  don't worry i know your face...next time the fkin van will be going right over your skanky drug infested head

Thanks for all the brake based advice chaps, brakes international seem to have everything in stock which is feckin ace as I was worried that I would have to order from the US to get some recon calipers.

I'm not going to be rebuilding or touching any part of the brake system, last time I touched any brake parts was on my P100 rear drums which I managed to screw up so badly the AA guy couldn't work out how I'd done it. Much head shaking and tutting occurred while the drums were inspected.

I blame the Haynes book of lies, it made it sound easy.

Aside from the 2 days I spent liberating all valuable items off the orange donor car, I've not had a single spare moment to work on my car.  I also now have no car insurance after cancelling the stupid policy I had and no money to set up a new one because all my spare time and energy is taken up with trying to work through the house-move commissions and support JMP.

I suspect I am spreading myself too thinly again.  I do hope Alarm Clock Girl (neighbour's child, about 2 year's old) doesn't start screaming again at 5am tomorrow, even her Dad is bored of it.  First time I've ever heard someone sing a lullaby angrily at a child to try and get it to go back to sleep though.

Doesn't the Accord use Rover 800 calipers, which also use MGF calipers?

Vulgalour, I can put your car on my trade insurance if that helps? It only takes me a minute.

Accord coupe V6 in my case, it's made in the good ole US of A, seems to share absolutely nothing with the UK 6th gen accord apart from some badges and trim clips.

5th gen accord was the model that had lots in common with the Rover 600 I think.#

Latest news from my mate is that the calipers are ok and it was just the pads jammed in the sliders, new pads have been fitted and the brake fluid has been changed, I'm a very relived man.

I can now spend the cash i got back on getting the S2000 serviced prior to it going up for sale.

I've taken out a new insurance policy for my SD1. It was a classic policy and to be fair it was  cheap so they obviously tried to up sell me other stuff like monkey attack insurance and eagle protection. You never know there are lots of low flying eagles in glasgow looking to steal wheels and wind screen wipers for their nests.

I obviously don't want any of this shite but you're kind of lumbered with listening to them pitching it (twice) while they setup your insurance. I paid for it then the next day I get a phone call saying "hi we have some questions about your insurance policy we're going to put your through to an insurance advisor" . Okay says me worrying that they've found out about my Lebonese alter ego Cortinious Al-Sexteen and are about to cancel my insurance.

After this they flippin put me old hold. There's something wrong with being calling then put straight on on hold. It's like you calling a mate and saying "hello what do you want" when they pick up the phone.

Anyway after waiting a few minutes it was just them trying to sell me the eagle insurance again basically calling me mentally retarded for not buying their excellent eagle protection. Hopefully they've now given up on that angle having deamed me too thick to care but I then get my policy email through saying "please fill in and return the attached mileage decleration form". Obviously there is no mileage form attached and under this there's a note saying "any problems call our premium helpline at 10p a minute".  There's no way they're getting 60p out of me (the bastards) so I've sent them an email. Ha! Get that insurance comany.

God only knows what it'd be like if I have to make a claim. I imagine a lot of these insurance companies are just 5 folk on an old frigate floating about in the English channel wearing eye patches, flying the jolly roger flag and their MD is a Parrot for tax avoidance reasons.

Alarm Clock Girl started at 6.22am, accompanied by the harmony of her parents both shouting "stop throwing things!", I have no idea what's going on there...

Vulgalour, I can put your car on my trade insurance if that helps? It only takes me a minute.

Another kind offer from the AS Rust Cube**  To be honest at the moment it's probably better to just sit back and save having to pay for insurance.  I don't need the car until October/November time so if I'm stuck then I might shout again, but I shouldn't be.

**We are the Autoshite.  Rust prevention is futile.  You will be corroded.  Your Corolla and Metro City will be added to our own.  Lay down your tools and prepare to be defeated.

No problem!

Currently feel like my temperature is at maximum and my innards are being rejected through my bum hole.

I use one of these to drain my oil into:

P1020347.jpg

As a consequence, the area outside of my garage is a sea of black oil staining. They are -crap-. As soon as the oil hits it, it deflects onto the floor. Unless the flow is aimed into the hole, it is impossible to stop the oil deflecting.

If you're driving your marina and a piano drops on you then their crack* legal team will hound Half-arsed-Piano-movers inc to the point that they've all lost their homes and jobs for no fee (to you). If you go to one of the ambulance chaser types they'll take 25% of your dirty money. This is how they explained it to me anyway.

I imagine if you take it calls will go up about 200% as you'll have been added to the "he'll buy anything list". They'll be on the phone trying to sell you tyre and volcano insurance 24/7

No problem!

Currently feel like my temperature is at maximum and my innards are being rejected through my bum hole.

P1020347.jpg

As a consequence, the area outside of my garage is a sea of black oil staining. They are -crap-. As soon as the oil hits it, it deflects onto the floor. Unless the flow is aimed into the hole, it is impossible to stop the oil deflecting.

I use the washing up bowl and chuck it, buy a new one.

Have a 25L bottle from work to put the old oil into for recycling.

No problem!

P1020347.jpg

Someone needs a Pela Pump for Christmas......

No problem!

P1020347.jpg

I have one of those, and find it ok for sump plugs, however I positioned it under the auto box of the XM, undid the filter housing, which then dumped all the fluid at once onto it, which overwhelmed it, overflowed faster than the tiny hole could cope and necessitated me raking mums driveway for an hour to hide the fluid.

Then there was the time I forgot to take the bung out at all, whilst doing an oil change on SWMBO's car whilst it was still hot...