The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I have a mobile mainly for mobile internet and texting, I cant actually use it to make calls with because Im deaf, and tell people this - still doesnt stop them phoning me up though.

In fact the sheer number of people who find the concept of a deaf person having a phone odd and insist on trying to speak to me down one drives me round the bend. Particularly companies like Virgin who insist that they have to speak to me ( the account holder) rather than my wife - so I patiently explain that I cant actually hear them and that they are going to have to talk to my wife and they still insist that they need me to speak to them....

Im rather looking forward to October when I do my first stint of on call work... That'll be interesting!

I've been enjoying telling people at work that the iPhone 6 they pre ordered is only nearly as good as my year old HTC one m7. My other colleague with an m8 is even more delighted as its way off the spec of his phone!

Of course we get the fanboy shit thrown back at us, but oddly their always interested when we discuss the latest ROM available for our phones, then download it reboot into recovery and install it... "But how can you do that Sam? Your phones well old..." Or "How can you download a torrent on your phone" or "how is that your home desktop showing on your phone"

Apple have made people stupid

I have a shitey old Nokia I found in a bin and pushed my PAYGO simcard into.  Bingo!   Mind you, I  never answer the fucker unless the number is in my contact list.   It only vibrates too, no ringing tone.   CBA with all this stuff but it is useful to have the ability to make a phone call (when I WANT to) now that all BT phone boxes are knackered or full of piss.  

I refuse to believe a 1ghz processor struggles against a 1.4 ghz dual processor. My PC must be nearly seven years old now, and it performs on Windows 7 very well.

Apple are dumping you unless you buy a new phone in three years. My IPhone 4 is struggling now on operating system version 7, but I'm not updating the next operating system as it render my phone into a floor tile. It struggles scrolling the screen on facebook ffs.

I have everything I need on it (music player, sat nav, email, phone) - I'm not being old fashioned, I like Apple stuff, but I don't like Apple's tactics.

Back to square one with my bank Santander. The fraudulant transaction of £359.99 reported on the 5th Sept has now been allowed to leave and debit my account!!! Phoned them and guess what..............

We're investigating, sorry we cant confirm when you'll have the money back.

Fuckers.

Back to square one with my bank Santander. The fraudulant transaction of £359.99 reported on the 5th Sept has now been allowed to leave and debit my account!!! Phoned them and guess what..............

We're investigating, sorry we cant confirm when you'll have the money back.

Fuckers.

Some woman was threatened with prosecution for fraud over a similar issue a while ago because apparently it is IMPOSSIBLE for chip and pin cards to be cloned! That's right, technology is fool proof and therefore you Mr EssDeeWon must also be a thief and a bounder!

I have a shitey old Nokia I found in a bin and pushed my PAYGO simcard into.  Bingo!   Mind you, I  never answer the fucker unless the number is in my contact list.   It only vibrates too, no ringing tone.   CBA with all this stuff but it is useful to have the ability to make a phone call (when I WANT to) now that all BT phone boxes are knackered or full of piss.

I think I found a picture of you connecting your phone to your car Bluetooth .

post-17414-0-57629200-1410883300_thumb.jpg

What the hell is this trend with youngsters using their mobile phones on speaker phone whilst holding it in front of them and shouting into it? Do these morons fundamentally not understand how it works or am I missing something?

FaceTime or something like that? Where you can see who you are speaking to possibly?

Sounds silly and pointless to me, but young 'uns today... Etc etc.

Santander are complete fuckdogs, and the most complained about financial institution in the UK. They temporarily "lost" 5 large of my money that was to go into an ISA.

This is what happens when you make all your most experienced staff redundant.

Fuck em. Ulster Bank FTW. Sure, the computer system shits itself now and again, but the manager of the local one is a chap that went to my school who I sort of knew. Never any big issues.

Because choice

A lot of my mates are into Genesis and kept banging on about how great they were so I downloaded the complete works of Genesis from one of these 'legal' downloading sites, the Blackbeard Bay or something,

It was not just Genesis, it was everything Genesis did, along with Phil, Peter and Mick in their solo careers or future collaborations.  Fucksticks thats why it took 4 days to download. You can stick your Sussudio up your arse Phil whatever that is. Took ages to delete it all.

TBH I was not that impressed with the rest of the actual Genesis shit either, so really hope that Simon Bates does not turn up on my doorstep saying 'You wouldn't finger a dog so why would you pirate music' or something as I will be properly gutted to get done for downloading all that shit.

A previous grump of mine that, people having their mobile phones on speaker phone. I don't want to hear whatever shit you are talking, let alone your fucking mates, so put the bastard to your ear, speak quietly or fuck off.

A previous grump of mine that, people having their mobile phones on speaker phone. I don't want to hear whatever shit you are talking, let alone your fucking mates, so put the bastard to your ear, speak quietly or fuck off.

Loads of people at work do this with their work phones. I fucking HATE being on hold, why would I want to her other people being on hold too? Unless they are playing Men without hats, The Safety Dance as the hold music. Then you can put it on speakerphone. BUT ONLY THEN with added bonus points if you dance around like the little guy in the video.

My mobile is mortally buggered.  Impossible to actually 'phone' anyone, not that I do and typing e,p,w, and spaces is difficult to say the least.  Had it seven years so not surprising really.

Daughter got a Motorola E from Tesco, £7.50 a month for more stuff a month than I would use in a year, so decided to get one.

Tried online and that went all to hell.

Went to a Tesco on a big retail estate- only to discover there wasn't one there.

Called at a Tesco on my way back home.  Phone lady gone for the day.

Tried again online, a bit more success but it stalled with a 'Processing' spinner when it should have been verifying my card.

Did that for an hour. Shut it all down after clearing cookies etc, rebooted and tried again with the same results.

Went back to the Tesco the following day and spoke to the phone lady.  Great she said, I have one left.  BUT the computers are down so you can't have it, come back later or BUY IT ONLINE   :(

Tried an 'alternative' route home, got lost and had to rely on the satnav to get me home.

Tried again online - I now have three phones in my basket and I hope to hell they don't decide to send them all.  Customer service not much help - clear your cookies or go to a Tesco store  :-(  :-(

I don't think they want me to have one.

And loads of  urgent voicemail messages from Gentoo about the solar panels they have fitted.  despite me telling them I don't talk to people on the phone, only text or emial.

The latest in the OMGORLMERIVAZRSHIT saga...

SWMBO did a fair few extra shifts last month, so we found a nice chap in the village who fixes cars, who said he would be happy to fit 2 new track rods to replace the fucked joints.

I've just had a phone call, he got it all apart, and the drivers side track rod joint is fucked, passenger one is ok but... the steering rack is fucked. Not sure how yet, although it doesnt surprise me. He's going to put it all back together, ring around for a quote for a second hand rack and let us know.

Having a quick look on ebay whilst SWMBO was on the phone, ebay ones are £40-£60 for an unknown condition one, mostly with 'works well' on the description. I'm hoping he finds one, and says he can fit it for £200ish, obv we owe him some coin for stripping the lot down today and getting as far as he has.

Had a mild go at amy about this is why I keep teling you not to fucking drive over potholes, sunken drain covers etc, and se didn't shout at me back so she must realise now why I say it.

So, anyone ever had a good result in fitting a new steering rack to a modern vauxhall? painless and worth the job (she wants to keep the car), or should we swap cars whislt we save up until it fully dies so at least if it lets go it'll only be me rather than her and 2yo daughter?

My thumb nail is coming off from the bottom after a couple of months of being bruised.

Pushing babies out in the front room? No probs. Snagging said nail on socks, hair, washing etc? CALL AN AMBULANCE. Vom vom vom!

I am not one of life copers. I don't know what I would do if I was ever actually ill *shamefaced*

The bloody C2 had another Failure To Proceed today. City centre....busy roundabout....rolling up to the line and the car kangarood a few times then stalled, stuck in gear.

Since it was in gear the brains refused to let the engine re-start so I couldnt push it, couldnt drive it on the starter, I could only sit there like a fat man in a broken Citroen blocking the lane and wonder what to do.

I got my silly little obligatory warning triangle out and plodded up the road a bit to try and direct traffic into the next lane. Since its cheap shit too, as soon as I placed it on the ground and turned my back a moderate gust of wind sent it flying off never to be seen again. Bastard.

With the bonnet up and ignoring the honks and insults I took the airbox off and got all John Cleese using the jack handle on the gearbox actuator.

0.jpg

And to my surprise it sprang to life, slipping the car into neutral.

I jumped in, fired it up, banged it into manual mode first gear and pegged it out of there in a cloud of tyre smoke. I was a little worried about it dying again during a gearchange and it was too far to drive it home in first gear so I nursed it until there was more room for potential breakdown without obstructing traffic and went for second gear. It worked fine and drove perfectly all the way home in either auto or manual.

All moderns are shit and fuck piloted DSG style gearboxes in particular.

The latest in the OMGORLMERIVAZRSHIT saga...

SWMBO did a fair few extra shifts last month, so we found a nice chap in the village who fixes cars, who said he would be happy to fit 2 new track rods to replace the fucked joints.

I've just had a phone call, he got it all apart, and the drivers side track rod joint is fucked, passenger one is ok but... the steering rack is fucked. Not sure how yet, although it doesnt surprise me. He's going to put it all back together, ring around for a quote for a second hand rack and let us know.

Having a quick look on ebay whilst SWMBO was on the phone, ebay ones are £40-£60 for an unknown condition one, mostly with 'works well' on the description. I'm hoping he finds one, and says he can fit it for £200ish, obv we owe him some coin for stripping the lot down today and getting as far as he has.

Had a mild go at amy about this is why I keep teling you not to fucking drive over potholes, sunken drain covers etc, and se didn't shout at me back so she must realise now why I say it.

So, anyone ever had a good result in fitting a new steering rack to a modern vauxhall? painless and worth the job (she wants to keep the car), or should we swap cars whislt we save up until it fully dies so at least if it lets go it'll only be me rather than her and 2yo daughter?

Minor update, he can source and fit a new rack for £210, drop it off tomorrow before we go on holiday and it'll be ready when we get back. He refused to take any money for the 3 hours he spent on it today, might get him to do the cambelt next year as a thank you!

Apparently, one of the CV gaitors was loose, and the steering rack was full of water. Thinking back to the floods, I remember Amy following me through rapidly flooding roads, me in the XM on high away from it all, the water lapping the grille on the meriva, he thinks it's got in then, and just been eating away at it. He's fitted a new CV joint FOC, and bolted it all back together. Luckily Amy got £250 out for the job, that will stay on the shelf until next week!

Annoying, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Must be a fair bit of labour getting a steering rack out, he said he would need to borrow his mates ramp over the weekend to do it, £200 sounds fair!

Louise - I agree about the fingernail, felt queasy reading your post, and a fb friend of mine posted a picture of her toenail after she caught it on a shopping trolley whilst wearing flipflops and I nearly unfriended her...

Bought a Dell laptop with office 365. Was expecting a disc but apparently Dell now have a software download section where you can download your stuff.

Got laptop, all good, went to my locker to collect my software. Not there.

Tried later, not there.

Called Dell - actually spoke to 5 people at Dell who didn't know what I was talking about. Answers included

You haven't bought a laptop from us sir

There is no such thing as a Dell Locker sir

The disc is in The machine (no drive with this one)

There is a 25 digit key in the box

You haven't actually bought the software sir and the receipt you have is a fake

Tired of this so made a complaint and got my money back for the software. Which I thought was quite good considering I didn't exist and hadn't bought anything from them.

Bought a copy from PC World instead. Office Setup site keeps saying there is an error and the contacts page is down for maintenance. Fuck you Microsoft and Dell, I tried to do it properly and honestly but you really aren't helping yourselves and buying Minecraft won't offset the number of customers you are going to lose to Apple

Never had any problems with BBC Basic or DOS.......