The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I do 8.5miles each way commuting on my bike and have no cycle lanes to ride on anyway.

As for 213 - well quite.

When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162 to 167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

I'd be happy if more people followed this rule..hc_rule_163_give_vulnerable_road_users_a

I love cycling but I ain't avoiding no wet patches, crazy fool.

*Edit: I have to say that I find 99.9% of motorists are fine these days. There's always the odd knobhead (same as there's always the odd knobhead cyclist) but mostly driving standards seem a lot better these days regarding cyclists. I suspect it's because more and mor drivers are cyclists themselves now.

The driver probably looked as he approached the junction and it looked clear for a right turn, couple of seconds later a 100mph bike comes flying along, feel abit sorry for the poor bugger tbh, no one is expected to go out and look for 100mph bike on a 60mph road.

The reason the biker is dead is purely down to his speed, and as I heard it on the news the other day the mum was giving out a warning to bikers rather than drivers.

Even if he hadn't been convicted of anything he'd still have to spend the rest of his life knowing that he was responsible for another person's death. Could only watch the video once,  but it seems  a mix of the driver turning too soon and the biker going way too fast. Sadly there seem to be far too many bikers out there who treat the road as their own racetrack and all other road users as mere obstacles to be passed as quickly as possible.

I appreciate this makes me sound like my Dad, but a part of me does wonder if superbikes are simply too quick to be on the road...........

I appreciate this makes me sound like my Dad, but a part of me does wonder if superbikes are simply too quick to be on the road...........

I had a near miss this afternoon, on the way to Lincoln. A gormless-looking man in an Iveco pick-up came very close to T-boning me as he turned right on to the A46 at Caistor. He just didn't see me, it seems, until it was nearly too late. I was driving over a tonne of car, at 45mph; had I been on a motorbike, travelling at 90-something like the lad in the video, I'd have had no chance. Iveco-driver would've had a new bonnet mascot :-(

i was gonna put this in the "stupid question amnesty" but seeing as it's bike related i will stick it here... but just so i don't bend the grumpy old man rules.... the biker in the video was going way too fast IMHO.... ok the question i want to ask... i am sure everyone has seen them on the roads... scooters with clipboard in front of their line of view... doing the knowledge or whatever.... are these people "driving without due care and attention" if they are too engrossed in checking a route rather than watching what is on the road??

Santander

There's your problem. Having worked for them I reckon Santander are one of the worst banks in terms of customer service. Apart from constantly fiddling with systems and procedures, cack handed complaints processes and making it impossible for staff to actually take control of a situation there's the deep mistrust between branch and call centre fostered by poor training.

And their hold music is shit.

3 people tried to just walk out in front of me yesterday whilst I was driving in St. Albans. Luckily for them I was driving the MGF with lowered soft top. This enabled me to educate them verbally at full volume using quite 'direct' language. Had there been a fourth, I would have played Death Race 2000. I really would. 

Im a nervous wreck on a road bike these days and am gradually working my way back down the capacity ladder , and having more fun doing so.

I used to do track days and ride the same on the road but these days I just see danger everywhere. As a motorcyclist you have to both ride your bike and drive other peoples cars for them .

In the last 3 years I have had 2 lads on 125's ride into vans ive been driving . Both times injuries were suffered by them . Both times they were going too fast for the situation . Ie I was turning right on both occasions and (indicators on and witnesses etc) and they have been going too fast to stop behind me .

Defensive riding comes with age and I certainly feel safer now than I did 10 years ago. ( christ I feel old , been riding for 19 years on the road now).

Im not saying I dont crack on but only where situations are safe to do so.

No real point or moral in what ive written but thought I would share my experences.

Have more fun now either greenlaning on my ktm or bumbling round on my old ke175d

Oh and my Ducati is now for sale

3 people tried to just walk out in front of me yesterday whilst I was driving in St. Albans. Luckily for them I was driving the MGF with lowered soft top. This enabled me to educate them verbally at full volume using quite 'direct' language. Had there been a fourth, I would have played Death Race 2000. I really would. 

But as with hitting bumble bees with the roof off, you're likely to end up with a mildly stunned ex-pedestrian sitting in the car with you about to get angry. :-P

Shiply took a deposit twice from me in error getting Hillmanimps Audi delivered. They've agreed to refund it but so far nothing has happened and now are ignoring me.

Wankers!

Their only customer service representative is starting secondary school this week but will be catching up with emails at lunchtimes.

My work mate was telling me this morning how his girlfriends ex husband was killed in a bike accident on Sunday in Norfolk, he ended up crashing head on with another motorbiker at high speed, he'd only just dropped his daughter off for her CBT test just before.

The poor girl is distraught and has to view the body on Thursday, if she didn't have the call about the CBT she would have been on the back. Awful stuff.

All comments from the cyclists of this electronic parish acknowledged and accepted without question.  However, the knob in Bloxwich yesterday had invented a new rule: "exit side road into busy traffic without slowing or looking; proceed to traffic lights and abuse drivers".

I should have been clearer.  Apologies.

;)

Pharrell Williams: not only am I not 'Happy' listening to your shit fucking bastard song on the pissing arsebucketing radio, I get more and more fucking frustrated every time my ears are assaulted by that shit.

Take your hat, have a crap in it and fuck off.

I'm now stuck in the middle of a stand off with the customer, who apparently hates Stobart.

Customer can tip me, but it will take 10 hours, and Maersk cant wait that long, so I've been told to sit tight and wait for further instructions

Edit.

Manager and yard supervisor at the delivery point have just told me to fuck off site and never come back.

Feels like a monday

Pharrell Williams: not only am I not 'Happy' listening to your shit fucking bastard song on the pissing arsebucketing radio, I get more and more fucking frustrated every time my ears are assaulted by that shit.

And what the wholly buggering fuck does a room without a roof feel like?

Have we had potential future additional Royal Parasite mentioned yet? Or rather the meeja coverage thereof. I do NOT want to be deluged with Facebook feeds drivelling on about about it and am clicking on "Don't want to see/don't like" on every single one, in the (probably vain) hope that FB's evil algorithms which guess what I'm interested in might cotton on and work in my favour for a change ...

Another 6+ months of this crap. Then a further several months of "OMG, she still has a STOMACH a whole TWELVE MINUTES after popping the sprog, she must eat only lettuce, do 70 abdominal crunches 4 times daily and run 14 miles after every meal until we start publishing 6 articles every day from rabid feminists that she's too skinny."

(NB I'm as happy for the parents and wish them well as I would for any other couple I have never met who are in the same situation. Hourly updates not required kthx.)

A combination of CDs and Radio 4 may not be perfect, but it'll solve that problem. I don't believe I've ever heard any of Pharrell (sp?) Williams' music.

Words cannot sum up how much I hate that song.

My work mate was telling me this morning how his girlfriends ex husband was killed in a bike accident on Sunday in Norfolk, he ended up crashing head on with another motorbiker at high speed, he'd only just dropped his daughter off for her CBT test just before.

The poor girl is distraught and has to view the body on Thursday, if she didn't have the call about the CBT she would have been on the back. Awful stuff.

That was on our local BBC news Look East programme yesterday.