gm's unhealthy obsession with mx5s - Exo on taxi duty

gm

On 24/02/2024 at 14:41, gm said:

it’s a lovely sunny day here in county durham so i took greenie out for a quick spin, stopped for fuel and this lovely old Honda pulled up next to me

IMG_6251.thumb.jpeg.6ae053fa487469e83db77117009313a9.jpeg

maybe summer is coming early this year ?

IMG_6252.thumb.jpeg.380c088d567f440b6bafed566b499ae3.jpeg

a replacement carpet has been ordered, i’ve gone for black as tan was surprisingly hard to get hold of and way more expensive - considering how little of it is on show, i think it will look just fine

IMG_6253.thumb.jpeg.5c7f2aac94a39697ea96179e6fd9e3fe.jpeg

we have a black mk2 carpet in our tan mk1, I think it looks better, the original tan had gone threadbare in patches and fairly orange though. I also fitted black kick panels and speaker covers.

the “new” carpet arrived today

yuk ! 

IMG_6273.thumb.jpeg.a185dbf212acdc3c43432770a11fa16e.jpeg

laundry liquid and jet wash to the rescue

IMG_6275.thumb.jpeg.262103e018d06b93a925dbaf05841bde.jpeg

hung it on the wall to rinse

IMG_6276.thumb.jpeg.2236d63336380cfbfa9b0d307cbdbde7.jpeg

aaargh !

IMG_6278.thumb.jpeg.505aed0cecd75b94ff3d62506e75c4dc.jpeg

and into the garage to dry overnight 

IMG_6280.thumb.jpeg.2cc0425b52636eb6458c83a6f76a0c81.jpeg

the intended recipient is away up at andy’s garage for its mot - fingers and toes crossed 🤞 

in the meantime i thought i’d have a tidy up but couldn’t be arsed so sat in the middle and played metallica’s ride the lightning very loudly and caught up on AS :) 

IMG_6279.thumb.jpeg.0f858f1ceb8702596543fff15f6778b1.jpeg

great news ! 

IMG_6297.thumb.png.3307479a54f60c6ce1bb600592194891.png

both chassis rails are a bit bashed but still solid and a small hole needing patched on the inner sill. i’ll take that as a result. the exhaust mounting is because i chopped one of the hangers off when it was fitted to the exo ! 

so time to get the new carpet fitted, underseal the hell out of it and get a for sale ad up.

shame, as it drives very nicely - but the exo needs its insurance policy back at the end of march :) 

• gm changed the title to gm's unhealthy obsession with mx5s - green is GO !
12 minutes ago, DVee8 said:

As it's an automatic it could be right up @LightBulbFun's London street.

@gm you could put the strip lights that you saved for  LBF in the passenger side. 2 birds in one hand.

if it went to Roffle I'd have a ticket, as is tradition for me and GM Roffles,  if I win, someone else can have the car as long as they can get the lightbulbs to me :) 

but not an outright purchase im afraid,

Automatic=good

low-slung-sports-car=bad (for my back)

dont get me wrong, I have got nothing against MX5's in-fact I would quite like to get a drive of one, especially given the legendary reputation they have, but I dont think me trying to live with one would end well LOL

i’d agree - it’s a lovely place to sit :) i reckon it wouldn’t be too difficult to fit heating elements to the seats then it would be perfect 

28 minutes ago, loserone said:

I found the seats in a V special to be about the most comfortable seating position I've ever experienced 

15 minutes ago, gm said:

i’d agree - it’s a lovely place to sit :) i reckon it wouldn’t be too difficult to fit heating elements to the seats then it would be perfect 

its not so much the sitting I am worried about, its the getting in and, especially the getting out of part that worries me LOL

its bad enough me trying to get out of the bath! (sorry for that mental picture LOL)

We've got heating element sin our V special seats, I took it t work tuesday, roof down heated seats and heater on a great place to be. you do need to remove te seat covers to fit them properly but that's not too major an issue on these, I'll be doing it again later this year when I fit new covers.

I'm 6'3 and 57 years old and don't find it a problem to get in and out of, (much better than my elan)  only issue is if you park it next to a high kerb.

a couple of smoll jobs today

first up the mildly melted doorcard

IMG_6216.thumb.jpeg.8e016cb5a37ba50cb5ddf0fb39923e74.jpeg

scrubbing with various potions and products got rid of most of the soot but the vinyl had blistered with the heat - i peeled it back and slapped a bit of glue in, a strip of tape over the burn and it turned out surprisingly well we might just get away with it

IMG_6302.thumb.jpeg.aca9da6b87217242f34c81a30f8822ee.jpeg

in the meantime, i ripped out the old knackered carpet 

IMG_6301.thumb.jpeg.b6030706a23cff2d96cc21bc347a769f.jpeg

and hung the new one out to dry

unfortunately it snowed :( ffs

IMG_6300.thumb.jpeg.50c794e2d980c6dc8e5ed53cc087748d.jpeg

enough fannying around, it’s coming in the house to dry properly 

IMG_6303.thumb.jpeg.af635ea5628009fca3be15fe922b8dac.jpeg

it’s all progress :) 

11 hours ago, kevins said:

We've got heating element sin our V special seats, I took it t work tuesday, roof down heated seats and heater on a great place to be. 

where did you get the heating elements from ? i’m definitely tempted to try them 

for an auto to manual conversion, you will need :

manual gearbox

flywheel

clutch kit

propshaft

power plant frame

master & slave cylinders and a hydraulic line

pedal set (all three need to be changed)

gear lever and gaitor

realistically it’s not much more work than changing a clutch

although the autobox is surprisingly good to drive @loserone i suggest you come and have a go 

i got a message this morning from @DVee8 saying he had the car cleaning kit out - i wolfed down my krispies and hot footed it round to his place where he worked his magic with the polisher - how nice does this look now ? 

many thanks for doing an excellent job, the beers are on me next week 🍻 

fancy phots taken at Lumley Castle, two posh ladies gave me a wave as i drove past them at the entrance :) 

IMG_6321.thumb.jpeg.d11fd7e959c6566ead8f04c64580201e.jpeg

IMG_6325.thumb.jpeg.a1fc9f454fba35b57ef93d2be8d00ddb.jpeg

IMG_6334.thumb.jpeg.5fde0743798e1980b11ef953a3c06243.jpeg

IMG_6336.thumb.jpeg.b1b7e1315f7beeafe289bee2356af829.jpeg

look at the shine on that !

IMG_6337.thumb.jpeg.0956e732a8c7ea2f73dc4baa9f4fd4fe.jpeg

@gm, the wheels came up so well.

many thanks for doing an excellent job, the beers are on me next week 🍻  Also you are travelling a long way for a beer considering where I'm going next weekend and you are going to see the Stranglers.

23 hours ago, gm said:

for an auto to manual conversion, you will need :

manual gearbox

flywheel

clutch kit

propshaft

power plant frame

master & slave cylinders and a hydraulic line

pedal set (all three need to be changed)

gear lever and gaitor

realistically it’s not much more work than changing a clutch

although the autobox is surprisingly good to drive @loserone i suggest you come and have a go 

How much more work to put that at the back of a longitudinal a series??

8 minutes ago, Matty said:

i’m afraid i wouldn’t have the foggiest - all i know is these modern* mazda engines :) 

but mx5 running gear is generally cheap and readily available, loads get used for kit car builds or transplants into cars as diverse as morris minors, model T hot rods, @grizz’s jeep etc

@gm weirdly I cleared out the last of the Mk2.5  MX5 donor today. 

Have left a message for a local guy with a Mk1 in case he wants any or all the bits FOC before I list it for pennies, just to prevent it getting weighed in. 

52 minutes ago, gm said:

i’m afraid i wouldn’t have the foggiest - all i know is these modern* mazda engines :) 

but mx5 running gear is generally cheap and readily available, loads get used for kit car builds or transplants into cars as diverse as morris minors, model T hot rods, @grizz’s jeep etc

I've been doing a bit of internetting in the meantime. It has been done.

1 hour ago, Matty said:

The answer is..... an absolute shit load 🤣