Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

10 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I feel the need to reiterate my fondness for Ian and the effort he goes to in order to satisfy his audiences thirst for shit old car reviews. I just find it quite queer that people want to throw their money at people who haven’t asked for it and have their own. 

People want to do something helpful. They probably feel there is nothing they can do directly to help Ian but setting up a crowd funder takes 10 minutes and it makes them all feel like they have helped.

Maybe in their heads they have been to wettest Wales and handed spanners and helped tinker and next time they see a video they can think, "I fixed that." 

Personally I would rather donate a few quid than buy some merchandise from HN which I don't really want. 

Although I won't be doing either as I agree, it's weird. 

In truth I don't fully understand the crowdfund thing, and actually declined someone who offered to set one up. But, another one was set up and folk have contributed and I don't want to tell them to piss off as that seems incredibly rude. It's hardly unprecedented though and it's happened on here for people too. People want to help, and being distant means they can't physically offer help, so they offer money instead. Fair enough.

Anyway, parts are on the way and may even arrive this week. 

As for tyre condition, the rears have about 5000 miles on them and despite the smashed rim, the affected tyre was somehow even still holding air. We've deflated it now because it looked like it'll just go pop at any moment. RatDat Rescues has some Mitsubishi spacesavers that'll do a decent enough job of replacing the full-size wheel that's now broken, and the spare is thankfully a matching alloy. Hopefully a bit of tyre swapping and we'll be good.

12 hours ago, trigger said:

I'm with BI on this, HubNut is a business earning money from video content and merchandise, whilst what happened is a terrible blow and shock for Ian it isn't really worth crowdfunding is it, that just screams of fanboiz trying to get themselves noticed in my opinion. 

There's a lot to be said of this crowdfunding thing...

HubNut is a business. The event will no doubt create content / channel views so it will almost kinda pay for itself anyways.
Distant viewers will want to help. It's a decent thing to do. Whether it be folk with parts or folk wanting to chip in for repairs. That's fine. But as otherwise mentioned above, would these people crowd fund every little thing that goes wrong? (e.g as mentioned, your favourite garage having a broken lift).

The problem I have with it is the virtue signalling aspect. OH MY GOD, A BAD THING HAPPENED. LOOK AT ME HELPING! LOOK AT ME!!! It's the way of the world nowadays with everything in the world that you HAVE to show support for a cause. Does my box in.

The other problem I have is the "celebrity" aspect. People see Ian several times a week in their own homes (on the telly, phone, computer) and genuinely start to feel like he is their long time personal friend. Just look at Chumly 2019 - when Ian was away doing his show coverage, there was a queue of people standing at the Cityrover wanting a chat. It's like those old school stories you hear of TV and movie stars being stalked by people who are obsessed with them. THAT'S the creepy part of the whole thing.

As a follower of all Ian's exploits and work and ex Ambulance service it would be remiss of me not to express here my gladness that he is ok,Betty can be fixed and I look forward to his future content regarding the incident and if I know anything about Ian and his lovely lady it will contain stuff we'll all learn from whether it be safety or just good ol' car stuff.

1 hour ago, davidfowler2000 said:

There's a lot to be said of this crowdfunding thing...

HubNut is a business. The event will no doubt create content / channel views so it will almost kinda pay for itself anyways.
Distant viewers will want to help. It's a decent thing to do. Whether it be folk with parts or folk wanting to chip in for repairs. That's fine. But as otherwise mentioned above, would these people crowd fund every little thing that goes wrong? (e.g as mentioned, your favourite garage having a broken lift).

The problem I have with it is the virtue signalling aspect. OH MY GOD, A BAD THING HAPPENED. LOOK AT ME HELPING! LOOK AT ME!!! It's the way of the world nowadays with everything in the world that you HAVE to show support for a cause. Does my box in.

The other problem I have is the "celebrity" aspect. People see Ian several times a week in their own homes (on the telly, phone, computer) and genuinely start to feel like he is their long time personal friend. Just look at Chumly 2019 - when Ian was away doing his show coverage, there was a queue of people standing at the Cityrover wanting a chat. It's like those old school stories you hear of TV and movie stars being stalked by people who are obsessed with them. THAT'S the creepy part of the whole thing.

Pretty sure there's no  virtue signalling here. It's just a collective 'we want to help' thing. I've helped other YouTubers out when things have gone wrong, because it's real life, and things do go wrong.

Thankfully, the vast majority of folk aren't very stalky at all and just want to show appreciation for content, which is fine. 

4 hours ago, davidfowler2000 said:

Not related to DWs mishap but... 

Several years ago I got in a big argument with a well meaning but misguided guy in a busy bar who was collecting money for a pair of young local girls who were famously abducted and killed. 

When I wouldn't chip in, he got very aggressive and tried to loudly call me out as some sort of uncaring bastard who supports peado murders just because I wouldn't give him a tenner. 

I tried to tell him that even if I gave him a million pounds it wouldn't bring them back. I don't think he had given the slightest thought to what the money was for. 

I vaugly knew one of the families. They didn't need the money. 

Sounds like my first crash. Was too inexperienced to even kmow it was happening until it was too late, but when my stepdad came round the same roundabout 40 minutes later after a 2am tearful phonecall he mentioned his tyres were squirming a bit. 

Ignore all the shitty youtube/social comments, could happen to anyone. I've wheelspun the xsara out of the road to my estate a few times without meaning to, and that's with alright British* tyres

Ignore all the bollocks comments flying about that you were driving fast etc Ian. I come a cropper in Lincoln about 13 years ago in my BMW e23 , came off roundabout same thing happened but ended up Futher in ditch , car was totalled , I wasn't driving fast either , rear just broke away and I couldn't get it back . It looked very similar to where you spun , . Main thing is no one was hurt , as much as we all love cars on here , they are repairable , or worst replaceable . I really enjoy your videos on YouTube keep up good work , and as I've said before when it's the Yugos turn for some TLC , I'd happily drive over to Wales and get multimeter out and sort that wiring out. 

43 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers Beko. I do think the ditchfinders need to go, having narrowly failed to live up to their name, but the speed of the slide still suggests there's a genuine issue there, especially when you look at the number of fault reports on the Highways England website. 

Certainly seems as though there is a problem at that roundabout, as I said on YouTube I know it well as we take the coaches round there a lot. As others say ignore the bollocks about you driving too fast. 

watched the video when it was released

once more @dollywobbler glad to hear your ok! and that betties damage is minimal 

and I can certainly say that if that had happened to me I dont think I would of been in any state to make a video/record any footage

(and I speak from experience with that!)

also pleased to hear that she had a full sized spare :) I know its reletively small fry all things considered

but im glad she is able to retain a full set of alloys I was worried that with the broken wheel you would have to move to steelies or some other wheel, because I think Betty looks really good on those Ghia alloys, so im glad to hear you do/did have a spare :) 

I wonder if theres a closer source of parts, the rear half shafts are not shared with anything more local are they? or failing that would Coleman Milne have the part in stock? or where all their conversions done on IRS spec Falcons?

as a side note I love this estate! :)

On 06/08/2021 at 23:43, morrisoxide said:

Have a spotted pic from a few years ago to cheer you up.

441283435_Spotted(254)small.thumb.jpg.9b4d63e6ad49c2d9ce1347fd331e15b3.jpg

I was thinking the other day if Betty was a Wagon she would litreally be the perfect Hubnut family car :)

(although I like Betty in her own Large saloon car way as well, I do love me a big Barge! especially Aussie ones, because they are like big US Cars but RHD! :) )

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers Beko. I do think the ditchfinders need to go, having narrowly failed to live up to their name, but the speed of the slide still suggests there's a genuine issue there, especially when you look at the number of fault reports on the Highways England website. 

For your location, if Betty is to be a year round proposition, I would look at Michelin Cross Climate or Goodyear 4 Seasons.

If she’s going to be on the subs bench November to March, I can highly recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 3.  The initial cost will probably make you feel unwell but over the life of the tyre, they’ll be cheap as chips.  My current set have just under 3mm left at 52,000 miles covered.

28 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

For your location, if Betty is to be a year round proposition, I would look at Michelin Cross Climate or Goodyear 4 Seasons.

If she’s going to be on the subs bench November to March, I can highly recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 3.  The initial cost will probably make you feel unwell but over the life of the tyre, they’ll be cheap as chips.  My current set have just under 3mm left at 52,000 miles covered.

Quite a UK focused video.

Both the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons and the Michelins did really well in tests.  I put the Goodyears on the Primera and whilst Betty has more poke, the Primera is quite happy to be chucked about.  They're a good tyre, great grip with them.

The Michelins we have at work on our ambulance cars.  They get a hard life but do drive well.  I'd be happy with either tyre to be honest.

1 minute ago, stuboy said:

wet road>? rwd?? old skool..... couple paving slabs in the boot required?

Wouldn't that just make it snap faster?

Mrs L1 spun our LS400, she overcorrected.  I should have bought good tyres though, we had plenty of warnings of its propensity to lose it at 5mph or less.

Just watched your last video. You can see the shock in your face and voice.  I think we have all been there when we have had an accident like this. Then you have obviously felt obliged to give us a video update and post it  on YT.

Your reporting afterwards was very calm, no beeping out of words, no real anger.

I do hope you have managed to get more than the half shafts in the package being sent from Aus. I would be thinking about possible brake fittings, shields and calipers etc. How about bearings? I suppose you can get them anywhere.

1 hour ago, loserone said:

Mrs L1 spun our LS400, she overcorrected.  I should have bought good tyres though, we had plenty of warnings of its propensity to lose it at 5mph or less.

LS400s are notoriously snappy for such a big car.  I had a couple of "moments" in my Celsior.

Never had an issue in the LS400 and never had an issue in the Fairmont until Friday. You usually know when you've got cheap rubber fitted as things get squirrelly. 

Interesting to discover that today, they are resurfacing that stretch after an oil spill yesterday... Which seemed to happen just after I'd emailed Highways England asking how long that spot had been an issue.

Fresh rubber will be purchased as I'm reminded that one front tyre is a bit low, and has a nail in it. The care package is on its way from Aus - halfshaft, packing plate and the shaft already has a bearing on it. It's so easy to get the halfshafts out that the plan is to just fit it and if the bearing is a bit sloppy, replace it later. In theory, the parts should arrive on Thursday!

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Never had an issue in the LS400 and never had an issue in the Fairmont until Friday. You usually know when you've got cheap rubber fitted as things get squirrelly. 

Interesting to discover that today, they are resurfacing that stretch after an oil spill yesterday... Which seemed to happen just after I'd emailed Highways England asking how long that spot had been an issue.

Fresh rubber will be purchased as I'm reminded that one front tyre is a bit low, and has a nail in it. The care package is on its way from Aus - halfshaft, packing plate and the shaft already has a bearing on it. It's so easy to get the halfshafts out that the plan is to just fit it and if the bearing is a bit sloppy, replace it later. In theory, the parts should arrive on Thursday!

It is wishful thinking to blame it on the road. It may be that stretch is a little slippery but having poor tyres has made the difference between the car feeling a little twitchy and going off. You say yourself on this thread that , "it's practically impossible to pull away in the wet without wheelspin, which kicks the traction control in, which is dim-witted and basically just shut the throttle off entirely".  You shouldn't drive a powerful old RWD car on poor tyres and this is why. We've all made mistakes and we've all had the car point the wrong way at some point, there's no shame in it. I learned about the importance of good tyres in a 200SX which became wayard like this.  Replace the tyres and move on -  but don't blame the road, that's silly.

Anyway, thankfully the car seems not to be substantially damaged and no one was injured, which is the main thing. 

21 minutes ago, Magnificent Rustbucket said:

It is wishful thinking to blame it on the road. It may be that stretch is a little slippery but having poor tyres has made the difference between the car feeling a little twitchy and going off. You say yourself on this thread that , "it's practically impossible to pull away in the wet without wheelspin, which kicks the traction control in, which is dim-witted and basically just shut the throttle off entirely".  You shouldn't drive a powerful old RWD car on poor tyres and this is why. We've all made mistakes and we've all had the car point the wrong way at some point, there's no shame in it. I learned about the importance of good tyres in a 200SX which became wayard like this.  Replace the tyres and move on -  but don't blame the road, that's silly.

Anyway, thankfully the car seems not to be substantially damaged and no one was injured, which is the main thing. 

Aye, I accept that to a certain extent, but the number of vehicles going off there confirms there is an issue with the road surface. Crap the tyres may be but there's not been the merest hint of a loss of grip like that on any other roundabout. Usually, with shit rubber, you feel that shitness all the time. Especially in something big and RWD.

There are simply no guarantees that better tyres would have made any difference. 

Like all good* accidents, it's undoubtedly a combination of factors:  A section of road with less friction than expected, a RWD car that shoves a significant amount of torque through the rear wheels,  tyres with reduced friction and/or issues with water clearance and a driver who isn't a drift king.

Had any one of these things not been true, the accident *may* not have happened.   The fact that they all came together at that particular point in time meant that it did.

You can make a very good reasoned argument for it being any one of the factors above, but in truth, it's all of them.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Usually, with shit rubber, you feel that shitness all the time. Especially in something big and RWD.

I only discovered the from Sailun's on my 107 were shit when I got to a roundabout in the wet, and I couldn't work out why I had the steering wheel turned to the right but the car was still going forward. Never an issue in the dry, but as soon as someone dropped a wet wipe on the tarmac the car decided to be all american and go straight. 

Now with good tyres (Falken All Season ones for the absolute win), it decides to oversteer off throttle instead. It's now harder to go straight with good tyres than it was without!