ST170s

Jim Bell

After chatting to Phil_lihp and Loser1 about their past and current escapades in these warmfords, Ive decided I'm having one. Lackappeal is setting orf from THE VERY NORD to collect the Passat as we speak so the race is on to find a decent one in meagre budget territory. Theres a decent number out there, including good expensive ones and the common cheap lesser spotted barried hammered ones. Ideally Im shooting for somewhere in the middle ground.

I know a few of you lads have niw or have had in the past, one of these pseudo-sports trolleys, so how did you get on with them and whats to look for when poking round them (barring the obvious)?

performance is a bit meh and they can be a bit thirsty

^^ this. I reckon you'll get fed up with the sub 30mpg and performance that isn't that much quicker in real world midrange punch than a PD/CR diesel. The rated power is reckoned to be a bit optimistic too. I remember looking at them a few years back when they were a fair bit newer. The Clio 172/182 and CTR are much better. But also much more expensive.

^^ this. I reckon you'll get fed up with the sub 30mpg and performance that isn't that much quicker in real world midrange punch than a PD/CR diesel. The rated power is reckoned to be a bit optimistic too. I remember looking at them a few years back when they were a fair bit newer. The Clio 172/182 and CTR are much better. But also much more expensive.

Youre probably right man, we will see. Much more expense usually does get you a better car.

A mate had a 182, quick car but it was always going wrong.

Focus might be a bit crusty now, if the trailing arm mounts are rotten its finished. Check the seam between boot floor and inner arch. Chances are the entire seam will be rotted all the way down to the suspension mounts under the seat.

For what its worth I'd just get a cooking Focus 2.0 3dr, should be able to pick one up cheap as they are practically unsellable. Everyone wants the 1.6 or the diesel.

My brother had one for a couple of months. He didn’t get on with it as it has a fairly stiff gear change and comparatively heavy clutch, but he had always driven autos so it was hardly surprising.

I loved it. Needed revving to really get a shift on but equally could do almost anything in third gear iirc. Some bits are standard Focus, some are not. Handling was excellent, as expected from a mk1 Focus.

Watch out for engine light on (likely o2 sensor or imrc needs looking at), rust (obviously) and make sure the clutch doesn’t slip as they’re a DMF so are expensive to replace.

Please let me know when you sell it, particularly if it’s got a sunroof.

I don't think the ST170 ever existed as an estate out of the factory?

They did but they are very scarce. Anything at this age/budget will want work, the type if car it is, it will likely have been used in anger on a regular basis and a lot of them be it 182's Focus ST or whatever are likely to have fell into some fairly inexpert hands. I'd just set your budget and buy whatever seems to have had a bit of care lavished on it.

I reckon people get a bit blasé about power nowadays, 170ish bhp in a smart handling hatchback is plenty much enough to have fun surely, unless you are Marku Kankkunen or Colin Burns or whoever. I've genuinely never had more driving fun than in my 1.1 PSA hatches. I can keep up with pretty much anything on B roads and the thrill of sliding around, engine singing, on the ragged edge, at 32.4mph is intoxicating. It makes me feel like a teenager again. Anti-ageing cream in rusty Gallic biscuit tin form.

Anyway, I think you should definitely get an st170. They're not going to go down in value (certainly not in the two weeks you own it) and it should be a decent laugh.

Buy one, drive it everywhere like your balls are on fire, then when something goes pop/falls off you can retire it off to Cavcraft's MUFF (Meadow of Ugly Fetid Fords).

Get the back seat up and check the trailing arm mounts...

May as well get one with HID’s and other shit, too. Also, the roof racks are hilarious.

Source: My Ford tech mate has a very good one, where he has powder coated bits etc. Plus another mate had a rusty one.

Not many nice Fiesta ST left though. A lot have been barried up.

What about a Fiesta Mk5 1.6 Zetec S. Drop a 1.7 Puma in it.

A mate and I used to do loads of these conversions. Back when Pumaspeed charged a fortune to convert a Zetec based car.

His car ended up the best. Racing Puma inlet and LSD box, Alcan 4 pots etc. That was a fun Fiesta.

But not as fun as a genuine FRP...

Fiesta Zetec-S are quite rare now and up on price. I always wanted one when I passed my test and were quite new - along with the Yaris T-Sport. A bit too expensive for me now - especially when I can get a Clio 172/182 for similar and insurance is zero problems.

I nearly swapped my Saab aero estate for one.  I liked it but I found it a bit too "Ford".  Not sure if that makes sense or not.  Steering and brakes were quite nice.  This one was quite rusty too - I think that was the deal breaker. 

The thirst to performance ratio seemed poor.   Insurance was high for me too but insurance seems to pick on me for some reason.

This is why I spend so much time looking on eBay for rubbish cars lately.  My Saab ticks every box a little too well.  It's just too good. 

Having seen all the issues various folk on here have had with the 182's plus the smaller cabin I'd be striking them off the christmas card list. The ST170 is only warm but it is larger, quickish, easier to work on and less likely to disappear in a puff of it's own electrical smoke.

Here's a nice looking one for cheaps. It even has all it's wheel centres

post-1514-0-74134500-1531046178_thumb.jpg

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806257838057?

The performance gets slated but honestly mine goes like stink and I don't want or need any more power in it.  It was definitely a bit 'meh' at first and I was disappointed but it turned out it hadn't seen a proper service in a long time, that's now sorted and it's a lot happier - changing the clogged, original fuel filter and the coil pack were the two things which really woke it up.  It is a fun thing to hoon about in and it is deceptively fast.  Fuel economy is OK - anything is better in that respect than my 4.0 XJ40 though and I don't do huge miles so I'm easily pleased.  It was dreadful until I changed the thermostat, it was doing about 280 miles on a tank, now does around 400-450 depending on weight of right foot.

I reckon a lot of the performance criticism probably stems from the long-legged 6 speed gearbox taking away from acceleration.  The gearbox itself is cable-operated and is a fairly horrible thing to use compared to, say, a Puma - rifle-bolt it is not - but it's OK generally.  I haven't ever driven another hot hatch to compare it to other than my Puma, which isn't a totally fair comparison.  It's heavier, not as responsive and generally feels more grown-up and sedate but it's plenty fast enough, handles extremely well and is practical too.

This is mine - scruffy but solid.  I really like it.

post-5492-0-04061500-1522491653.jpg

I'd check the mounts from underneath, give them a poke from underneath with a stout screwdriver. Same for the inner sills at the back, good firm grasp of them might be crunchy. Floor goes at the back where the fuel filter goes. Sills go as well at the back and oddly enough bang under the centre of the driver/pass doors. Brake pipes at the back as well.

Get one in that blue colour Phil_lihp pictured, mega fit.

Also go on condition, not age. There isn't half some crap out there riddled with faults and at strong money. The numbers are thankfully (for those that own one) decreasing by the day it seems, shit loads get broken for spares for conversions into other Fords. I'll add you to a page on Facebook anon.

Edit: You're already on it M9.

They’re not slow but you have to rev them hard to extract the performance. They’re quite tall geared which takes the 'zippyness' out of them a bit too

Usual ford lookouts, dual mass flywheels and clutches, the dreaded rust, if the EML is on it will probably be the IMRC solenoid. This can be ignored, some people disconnect it and leave it in the full throttle position but it will lose some low end torque. As mentioned fuel economy is poor, mid to low 20's if you have any sort of fun.

37 and 44 in the roffle please