The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Done.

If anyone has a damaged seat and is thinking of just changing out the affected section, do not do this. Buy the whole seat. This was the worst and most foutery job I have ever done. It literally broke me this afternoon. 

Once I finally finished it, I just humfed what is the heaviest seat in the world in to the car and left it for the evening, I'll install it tomorrow.

Looks nice though.

20231209_161802.jpg

Glad you said that as I have pondered about replacing just the heat mat on the TT seat rather than the whole thing!

Waved this little thing off today. Still needs work.

in my ownership of two years I managed to get as far as clearing a mouse nest out the air box, blasting the moss off it, new front discs and calipers and the spark plugs twice (because I  did before one winter shutdown and forgot and did it again in spring).

it’s off back to @richbraith now he has storage. Should be enough bits in the boot to finish it off, I had the parts not the time.

Drives but only been near a road once when I forgot I hadn’t topped up the brake fluid and careered at a barely pedestrian pace.

7B6EC3DE-E668-4733-A9F3-F884864762B0.jpeg

161BE7BF-C63A-42FA-8D38-B7BDE783E6C1.jpeg

5D23D27C-3F33-4144-B72B-32FB2DE590A2.jpeg

3404EF81-05BD-408F-B407-851F2B6347A3.jpeg

Thought I'd try and get The Volvo running today, given that I've owned it for 20 years tomorrow; a heck of a long time to own anything, let alone a car. I reconnected the battery, turned the key and it started right up, despite it not being touched since October when I lost interest in it after it wouldn't start when I fitted a new idle air control valve to it - I promptly refitted the old one, with the same result. 

It runs like garbage for a few minutes unless I disconnect the mass air flow sensor, though. I presume that's due to the idle control valve being goosed. I've not refitted the new one yet, as the weather's horrible and I feel a bit rough; hopefully, now it starts and runs again, fitting said valve will make the car run properly for the first time in two years.

The car still has the sweetest sounding B200F engine I've ever encountered, despite having piston slap when cold, which it's always had (TADTS) but has never got worse.

It's currently without an MOT and on SORN, but time permitting, hope to get it back on the road in the new year 😀

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Somewhere on the M1 @Crackers was derated from 250bhp to 100bhp and was grateful to @Andyrew.

IMG_20231210_171244 broad.jpg

IMG_20231210_171307 broad.jpg

DIC gone dicky?

(Edit: Direct Ignition Cassette for those wondering. On this age Saab they are used for piston position from a clever electrical feedback on the spark plug. So when these coil pack modules, the engine stops dead.)

Got the heater working again on the Renault 4 today.  Turns out it wasn't air in the system (there was a bit, but not much) - it was the plastic temperature control lever which had lost its grip and was just spinning on the water valve shaft.  Must be a TADTS as the Renault 6 had the same issue a few years back.  So I removed the lever and turned the shaft using a 6mm spanner and got warm air straight away.

So that's good as it means the car's a bit more usable in the winter months.  It started a bit easier today too.  I'm still contemplating selling it mind - in an ideal world I'd keep it but I've struggled to keep up with them all this year.

That's about all I got done as it was raining for pretty much the whole of the rest of the weekend...

4 hours ago, SiC said:

DIC gone dicky?

(Edit: Direct Ignition Cassette for those wondering. On this age Saab they are used for piston position from a clever electrical feedback on the spark plug. So when these coil pack modules, the engine stops dead.)

Was more important to have one of those in the boot than a spare tyre…

58 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm concerned to note that there are only 3 taxed Gen 1 Kia Mentors left on Britain's roads according to HML. Assuming 1997 was last Gen 1 year, then another 30 SORN'd.

#won'tsomebodysavethekiamentor

(this shape)

7113524815_efebe59d6f_b.jpg

I`ve always had a soft spot for these and the Shuma II. Could have bought one on the knock when new when I left college but they cost around the same as my gross salary back in 2000. 

Come to think of it my wages probably haven't kept up because I'm sure the price of a base model C'eed is higher. 😕

1 hour ago, Metal Guru said:

No doubt it will be enforced in the same way as litter and dog shit. I.e no one will ever get a fine.

I'd guess 100% of 'hazards on pavement parking' delivery person would hope so, but I doubt it, as cooncils love PCN revenue and any means of expanding it. There are also locations where pavement parking is for the good and eases traffic flow, not that I'm condoning it. 

15 minutes ago, Hawkeyethenoo said:

I'd guess 100% of 'hazards on pavement parking' delivery person would hope so, but I doubt it, as cooncils love PCN revenue and any means of expanding it. There are also locations where pavement parking is for the good and eases traffic flow, not that I'm condoning it. 

Where I live , there is a traffic warden about 1/2 day per month, because the council says they can’t afford more, so people park everywhere , double parking on double yellow lines. People even park on the yellow lines when there are legal spaces , just to park outside a particular shop. I do not know or have heard of anyone getting a ticket.

18 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Where I live , there is a traffic warden about 1/2 day per month, because the council says they can’t afford more, so people park everywhere , double parking on double yellow lines. People even park on the yellow lines when there are legal spaces , just to park outside a particular shop. I do not know or have heard of anyone getting a ticket.

If you want my advice, don't move house. 😀