The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 minute ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

I agree, my confusion is to how? I can put my hand between the airbox and the wires when it's on the car!

I am really tempted to get a cheap eBay pod filter job and bin the OEM setup and see how it goes, surely worth it for the chance it runs long enough for us to save for a replacement vehicle!

I might be barking up the wrong tree but would actual air pressure/flow as a result of the OE filter housing be causing an issue somewhere? I guess the best way of trying is clamping a cone filter on it.

5 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

I agree, my confusion is to how? I can put my hand between the airbox and the wires when it's on the car!

I am really tempted to get a cheap eBay pod filter job and bin the OEM setup and see how it goes, surely worth it for the chance it runs long enough for us to save for a replacement vehicle!

Hmmm, try putting the airbox in place, assembling it, but dont connect the intake hose, so the air isnt being drawn through it. Then connect it. If it plays up before connecting it then you know its to do with the airbox's presence somehow affecting it but if it only starts playing up when connected then surely that means the airflow (or perhaps lack/abundance of) is somehow upsetting it. I dont see how, but nothing is logical at this point!

edit - kind of cross posted Fumbler there!

Not been as productive a weekend as I'd hoped.  Annoyingly the 107 failed its MOT - the other front to rear brake pipe was deemed corroded enough to warrant a fail (didn't look too bad when I looked at it) and one of the front brakes must have been binding because the nearside pads, which were an advisory before, are now almost down to the metal on the inside.  I've ordered the pads which I'm hoping will be here by Wednesday, and I've got another brake pipe made up ready to go on, so that's my Jubilee bank holiday sorted.  I did manage to get the bleed nipple freed off this time so I should get away without having to buy another wheel cylinder.

The other job I'd been meaning to get around to for a while was having a good old poke round the offside rear sill on the Maxus, which was looking a bit wobbly.  Much stabbing with a screwdriver (and hammering) later and this was the result.

20220528_191148.thumb.jpg.73882b0f4fbb9c6ace13a24c34ff57ef.jpg

Yes, that is concrete.  The sill seemed to be mostly made of it, with some chicken wire and a random bit of red plastic shoved in there for support, and a skim of silicone over the whole to smooth it off.  It really is the most extraordinary bit of bodgery I've seen in a long time.  I now need to try and find someone to repair the sill - even if my bodywork skills were up to it I wouldn't be able to do it myself as the van won't fit in my drive and I have nowhere else to plug in a welder.

Last night I went to see a mate and I decided to take the Mazda 121 as it hadn't had a good run in a while.  I set off just after 8pm when it was still bright and sunny.  I realised when I got to his house that I'd put my sunglasses on before leaving the house and left my normal glasses on the kitchen counter.  So I had to drive home in the dark with my sunglasses on.  Which wouldn't have been too bad except that the headlights packed up not long into the run home and so I had to drive 12 miles or so on unlit country roads in the pitch dark with only the sidelights working.  And sunglasses on.  That was not fun.  Thankfully it's a road I know well - if I'd been somewhere unfamiliar it would have been a lot worse again.

So this afternoon was spent trying to fix the headlights.  Fruitlessly, as it turned out.  I'd worked out that it had to be a relay problem, but I couldn't find the headlight relay anywhere.  There are only two relays under the dash, one for the horn and the other is the flasher unit.  The intermittent wiper relay is built in to the back of the wiper stalk, but there's no similar arrangement on the headlight stalk.  I gave up in the end and I'm probably going to bypass it and fit a separate switch - it's not urgent as I don't use the car much and at this time of year I only need headlights if I'm out really late.

I've been doing some further investigation on the 164 and I've (provisionally) concluded that the running issue is due to the plugs having done an NGK.  When I took the front plug out it was soaking wet with fuel.  Laid it on top of a convenient earth point, cranked the engine and nothing.  Tried a known good plug in its place and was rewarded with a nice fat (albeit orange) spark.  So I've ordered some Bosch plugs for the front three cylinders, which are the ones that aren't currently firing.  If that fixes it I'll order a full set - it'll be a nice cheap fix if that is the issue...

In other news the TF is in to the MG place for work to get the emissions sorted for the MoT… I hate jobs like this which you really have no idea of cost beforehand!

EDIT: And it’s pissing down… wonder how long my MoT bodge wiper linkeage will last… 

Driving back down the m40 yesterday afternoon I passed a suitably shabby x reg red Porsche (924 non turbo?- the badges were missing / dropped off). Anyone here? It was well filled up, and looked like a young guy driving. If it’s a student hack then it’s very well done!

I bought myself a new project today.

280764303_710846483581530_489281164354837314_n.thumb.jpg.7bd03f57e4bb4549f9ad56f0ed0d9e06.jpg

281799441_497720948756350_8519626895639134348_n.thumb.jpg.5d61cf95f469aeb478482bed34dcf015.jpg

this 1992 K reg 240 2.0 Torslanda Estate, a friend won it in a raffle from a banger racer 6 months ago and it's been sitting at his yard since, he wanted to get it back on the road himself but too many projects etc meant i was able to buy it off him.

The crash damage is unrecorded and the damage looks superficial to me so hopefully a easy fit, something has ripped the back bumper off, the paint is proper pogwiesel pink so needs a good polish but it fired up ok and has only done 49000 miles and has mot until November so fingers crossed its ok!

Helped our friend move house today, clearing the last bits out of a cupboard and spotted a Henry hoover.. she said it was in there 10 years ago when she moved in and the landlord said she could have it, she hadn’t touched it and was going to leave it.

She told me to take it if I wanted it so it went straight in the boot. 

He’s vintage! 1994 model. Fired straight up.

Gonna give it a good clean up, new bag etc and bang it on eBay. Seems to be worth £50 odd so happy days. 

CF221593-6967-4B5F-80D9-6DB961D0CD7E.jpeg

971CD019-07FB-4F9B-835A-786A92D424CD.jpeg

On 5/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, HillmanImp said:

It sold before I could look at it. :(

Screenshot_20220525-215303_Facebook.thumb.jpg.cb935b84a9b70143febec064f13e0dfd.jpg

Should've gone earlier. Thats the 2nd one up for sale locally that I've missed out on in as many weeks. 

Think someone somewhere is telling me to finish the one I already have. 

I am having yearnings for an Imp at the moment too, got a lift to pick up a Fusion for my dad in one which had a mid engine MGF conversion. 

1 hour ago, trigger said:

I bought myself a new project today.

280764303_710846483581530_489281164354837314_n.thumb.jpg.7bd03f57e4bb4549f9ad56f0ed0d9e06.jpg

281799441_497720948756350_8519626895639134348_n.thumb.jpg.5d61cf95f469aeb478482bed34dcf015.jpg

this 1992 K reg 240 2.0 Torslanda Estate, a friend won it in a raffle from a banger racer 6 months ago and it's been sitting at his yard since, he wanted to get it back on the road himself but too many projects etc meant i was able to buy it off him.

The crash damage is unrecorded and the damage looks superficial to me so hopefully a easy fit, something has ripped the back bumper off, the paint is proper pogwiesel pink so needs a good polish but it fired up ok and has only done 49000 miles and has mot until November so fingers crossed its ok!

I'm so glad the banger racer let this live, what a lovely thing. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress with this one.

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Helped our friend move house today, clearing the last bits out of a cupboard and spotted a Henry hoover.. she said it was in there 10 years ago when she moved in and the landlord said she could have it, she hadn’t touched it and was going to leave it.

Gonna give it a good clean up, new bag etc and bang it on eBay. Seems to be worth £50 odd so happy days. 

@beko1987...? :)

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

I like seeing stuff like this, reminds me there's still some British eccentricity left

20220530_150257.thumb.jpg.04c169fe4274b9f55e169da35218b9c5.jpg

Until an unruly scrote comes along to vandalise it, or it gets branded offensive in some spurious way, a true reminder of the Britain we live in today!

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

A proper Henry that is! 

On 27/05/2022 at 17:04, SiC said:

Pulled the BGT out of storage earlier. Took it shopping.
740818a779265dedd9c4827390e3a27f.jpg

Going to venture into Bristol tomorrow and go to the local Moss Motors open day. Hopefully it's not going to misbehave itself in the city! It's not been back for a while and I'd rather it not have a fright.
Probably should wash it but I don't know if I'll get time to.
afbcca6d9df7867326b6620e3e7c5a50.jpg

Don’t car dealers have “open days”, everyday?

20220530_202542.jpg

My welder has decided to pack in after a year and a half of shitty bodges. Very convenient given my M.O.T is tomorrow and you can still see the road through the floor. I had planned on joining another patch to the one already tacked with the ridge in the floor pan formed into it but that's not going to happen now.

An old mate, who I've not seen for a while popped round at lunchtime to show me the car he'd just bought for his 17 year old daughter. I think it was a FIAT. I'd not seen his daughter for ages either, probably since she was about 9 or 10. It turns out that it’s really poor form for a chap to say, 'Christ Bill, she's certainly got her mother’s tits hasn’t she?'

The balance of the universe is now restored, I have a van again. I’ve bought and collected a reasonably priced Citroen Dispatch, with DW8 engine, from west Norfolk. 
It drove back to Tamworth with no issues, although it does appear slower than normal for one of these. The exhaust has a strange whistle, almost as if it’s clogged / blocked - one to investigate. 
Over the next few weeks it will get a full service and timing belt, oil leak and tardiness sorted. I’ve missed having a van around, they make life so much easier.