Tell me about: Triumph Mayflower

vulgalour

It’s a shame about the number plate. The first one I viewed in South Wales did have its original plate but the car itself was a dog, awful paint, poor welding underneath  and lopsided. Also very overpriced for the condition. This one might have lost its plate, but it was cheaper and there’s no comparison between them in terms of condition and how much more original this one is.

It’ll look better once I’ve got some half decent number plates from Tippers on it, the el cheapo ones currently on it look dreadful and the rear one hasn’t even been stamped straight.

48 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

It’s a shame about the number plate. The first one I viewed in South Wales did have its original plate but the car itself was a dog, awful paint, poor welding underneath  and lopsided. Also very overpriced for the condition. This one might have lost its plate, but it was cheaper and there’s no comparison between them in terms of condition and how much more original this one is.

It’ll look better once I’ve got some half decent number plates from Tippers on it, the el cheapo ones currently on it look dreadful and the rear one hasn’t even been stamped straight.

This looks like a really nice example, and I wouldn't be too fussed about the number plate.  It's part of its history like anything else.  I do have a soft spot for these, as I was given a small model of one as a child, and thought it was unusual even then - I think that was when my interest in old cars started.

As you say, cars like this don't really feel "slow" when you are driving them, and most roads are so congested now that it is easy to keep up with the traffic and your average speed is the same as in any other car.  I often find in an old car that someone dawdling along in a modern is holding everyone up.

11 minutes ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

Spotted today - Fits in here.

DSCN2582.JPG

Interesting to see them coming down the line side on. The wooden moving track-way can be seen flush with the floor at that point.

Note: the pile of new steering wheels right. These would have gone on last to allow movement in the interior until the last moment. They would have been supplied by one of Standard-Triumph's sub contractors.

Quite tidy for a 50's British car factory - thought there are some spectacular trip hazards to be seen...

On 01/03/2024 at 06:48, lesapandre said:

I'd doubt that. These are interesting cars but not really in so much demand - like a lot of the cars of the era they are very slow. Nice - but slow.

When these were designed - car design overall was in a real flux - moving from traditional 'upright' to ponton styling and the three-box template.  So I think Triumph had a stab at what they thought would look good and sell especially abroad. This is a US ad.

Screenshot_20240301_124937_Chrome.jpg

That's actually an Australian ad.

23 hours ago, artdjones said:

A nice car. Apparently some Standard Flying 10 engines had an oil filter. It might be worth researching whether parts could be adapted, as the engine is basically a Standard 10 engine.

The bypass oil filter used on a lot of ye olde side valve engines was one of these:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375280251583?

Canister bolted to the cylinder head, containing a non replaceable element with two unions for hose connections to the oil system.  So you would bleed oil off the main gallery with  a union at some point upstream of the pump, filter it, then return it to the sump via another union in the crankcase.  The return flow has to be restricted to maintain oil pressure, so it is not very efficient, but it does work.  There are various ways of doing this with modern components but it gets quite expensive, and may involve drilling and tapping holes in the engine if there are no suitable fittings.  So it is not a five minute job - maybe best done as part of an engine rebuild. 

Fitting a filter is a nice idea, but to be honest I’m not that bothered. I’ll just change the oil regularly. I’ve already changed it once. I don’t like SAE 30 (it always seems too thin for cars) I settled on a quality 20w50 instead. Oil pressure at idle when cold is 50psi and about 20-25psi when hot. That’s pretty decent for an old sidevalve and I’ll happily take that. The oil is staying very clean on the dipstick which shows the sump is good. The engine must have had work done over the years but I really don’t know exactly what. It’s nice and quiet and doesn’t smoke.

I bought a new set of number plates from Tippers to replace the dreadful, cheap rubbish it had fitted.

Also fixed the headlights, the switch was faulty so I got a good secondhand switch and swapped the original ignition barrel into it to keep the original key. 
Not a lot else to do on it really. I’ve trundled around a bit in it locally, the longest trip was about 15 miles. It’s definitely no speed demon. Quite like driving a prewar car with better steering and suspension. Great fun though.

0BCC53BD-0FB2-494B-83A0-D4A572DEE4F0.thumb.jpeg.f668f8122aa50a63fee2d1594801f2f9.jpeg

2A6FFC05-0669-4DAE-BF0B-AF553CB6A1FF.thumb.jpeg.530aa5b1c27dbc82ca98565fbc0b4948.jpeg
4E4728E1-E8E4-4A58-9266-0D0433903EF3.thumb.jpeg.723a35996e3057ed68984d11e169b898.jpeg

9F92ECDB-08DD-4E1B-8E8F-343C98611A2B.thumb.jpeg.eff577bc87149be86cf98787244e12d1.jpeg

E6F7C1F1-931D-448A-B3C4-8EE96FE0BC1B.thumb.jpeg.89cd48d681ab959dab844afde83e62af.jpeg

88CF33FF-16F8-4029-89F5-3DE9D62F44B0.thumb.jpeg.71f90d71142612b92e6072e110b94fb4.jpeg

C8D0B112-24CB-427A-9157-5A20876DECE6.thumb.jpeg.a0028f45a80aa68bba21e938e06840a5.jpeg

new number plates are looking sweet as! :) a set of proper number plates is properly satisfying 

tho I still wonder why Tippers dont use their unique style of 1 anymore? they still do it if you specifically go out of your way to ask for it, but by default they dont seem to use it anymore, which is a shame, as its one of those unique things about the Tippers font set that define a tippers plate IMHO, last I got someone to ask them about it, they where not even aware of it themselves, but upon some prodding found the die in the stores still thankfully!

but I get the general impression from them that although the Tippers Vintage plate company in Cornwall has all the tooling etc from the former Tippers Southend works, they dont have/know any of the history of the company and the styles they themselves used in period, which is a bit of a shame, so I suspect thats when/why their unique style of.1 vanished, simply because the new company did not realise what it signified/meant

19 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

It’s definitely no speed demon. Quite like driving a prewar car with better steering and suspension. Great fun though.

How does it feel in relation to (your admittedly upgraded) A40 Somerset?

1 hour ago, egg said:

How does it feel in relation to (your admittedly upgraded) A40 Somerset?

There's no comparison, the Somerset is like a rocket in comparison!

I'm actually going to be moving it on soon. I prefer driving the Hampshire and it's just sitting there not being used so it deserves to go to a new home with someone who can lavish more time and attention on it than I can.