Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - An evening with the cows!

Six-cylinder

An experiment for @Talbot!

The Sigma had MOT failure headlight internal reflectors. Talbot tried to separate the glass off the plastic case to try and chrome paint the reflectors but no amount of prizing would separate the glass. In the end with the help of @MorrisItalSLX I bought new headlights from Australia.  The question is would heat separate the glass, Talbot was reluctant to try heat with the original headlights, but the Sigma has new headlight so I had nothing to lose.

I popped a headlight in the oven this afternoon and the glass just peeled off. The only thing is I think 175° C for 15 mins was too much and I melted the case beyond saving!

IMG_20231211_150234 broad.jpg

IMG_20231211_150351 broad.jpg

IMG_20231211_152016 broad.jpg

IMG_20231211_152202 broad.jpg

47 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

The Sigma had MOT failure headlight internal reflectors. Talbot tried to separate the glass off the plastic case to try and chrome paint the reflectors but no amount of prizing would separate the glass. In the end with the help of @MorrisItalSLX I bought new headlights from Australia.  The question is would heat separate the glass, Talbot was reluctant to try heat with the original headlights, but the Sigma has new headlight so I had nothing to lose.

I popped a headlight in the oven this afternoon and the glass just peeled off. The only thing is I think 175° C for 15 mins was too much and I melted the case beyond saving!

Definitely a tad more than needed.  Bet that smelled good* too.

On 01/12/2023 at 21:50, richardmorris said:

How does headlamp alignment change unless it’s been replaced or rammed into a passing wall?

Sometimes, Citroen headlight adjusters self destruct, which is a fun thing to learn on an unlit narrow road in the depths of Lincolnshire during the Unaliving Season for Pheasants.

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

banned from ever using the range again

5 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

It did smell of burning plastic for a while!

I *definitely* didn't do something similar a number of years ago - and forget it was in the oven.

...Then turn the oven on several hours later to preheat to 220C.

Oops.

Only took a month or so for the smell to totally leave the kitchen.

An excessively large ham roll later and the brain is working again.

There had been some stray pops while cranking and that suggested the spark was going astray, distributor cap, rotor arm or HT leads so I took the cap off. The HT leads and cap look very dirty outside but ok inside. When I took the cap off the culprit was staring me in the face, the rotor arm has tracking lines and a burnt end.

IMG_20231212_144158 broad.jpg

IMG_20231212_144302 broad.jpg

IMG_20231212_144324 broad.jpg