Six-cylinder

Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - WANTED Hazard Switch for 1985 Range Rover

On 11/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, Six-cylinder said:

@richardthestag What should this nozzle be connected too, you can feel it sucking air?

The engine is from a 1988 3.5 EFi with ZF Auto gearbox.

IMG_20191116_141732 connector marked.jpg

Vacuum hose connects it to the black plastic vacuum ball that sits on the n/s inner wing. It operates the fresh air vent on the heater unit 

Vacuum hose connects it to the black plastic vacuum ball that sits on the n/s inner wing. It operates the fresh air vent on the heater unit 
I've blanked it for the time being.....its a bit of donkey being a pre 3.5 shell!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Does the heater unit have a solenoid and vacuum pipe on the passenger side?

Fresh air flap on early cars with the metal heater units were cable operated. Early 80s it got more complicated for some reason, the 1990 LHD car I am doing has a metal unit with later controls on the front and vacuum operated fresh air vent.

Does the heater unit have a solenoid and vacuum pipe on the passenger side?
Fresh air flap on early cars with the metal heater units were cable operated. Early 80s it got more complicated for some reason, the 1990 LHD car I am doing has a metal unit with later controls on the front and vacuum operated fresh air vent.
Hang on there. My instructions are to make it MOT worthy, not for everything to work!

Its abit of a bitsa....so I will check at the weekend.

It needs a mot first

19 minutes ago, ianbmw said:

13 years of Range Rover ownership has taught me to aim low and always be pleasantly surprised when you exceed your target

Pessimists are happier than optimists. Optimists are always disappointed with some aspect of life, but pessimists are occasionally proved wrong.

48 minutes ago, ianbmw said:

Most 80s Land rover products do, it developes over time

This is true, 

My disco has developed new tech all on its own

Self cleaning deep soak carpets,  automatic wipers that come on by themselves rain or shine, additional floor ventilation to help the self washing carpets air out, And a self emptying engine oil system. 

It's just last week upgraded to a self draining coolant system now aswell. 

2 hours ago, ianbmw said:

13 years of Range Rover ownership has taught me to aim low and always be pleasantly surprised when you exceed your target

15 years of Range Rover daily drivers has taught me that they are nowhere near as unreliable as folk* would have you believe. Plus you can fix em with hammers and ....

welders 😁

23 hours ago, richardthestag said:

15 years of Range Rover daily drivers has taught me that they are nowhere near as unreliable as folk* would have you believe. Plus you can fix em with hammers and ....

welders 😁

should keep my stupid fat mouth closed, 11 miles into a drive home and it shat a core plug! gah, no lasting damage but no idea why it shat Plus took 4h 30m from incident to get 11miles back to Devon base. 

still at least I can fix it by hammering another coreplug back into the hole, with more threadlock this time tho 😂

I'm sure you know ..but just in case not ;  core plugs (which were once good and properly fitted) tend to pop either because they are corroded and then the block's heat expansion allows them to let go, or else the head gasket's blown and pressure build up in the cooling jackets finds the easiest route out. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Bfg said:

I'm sure you know ..but just in case not ;  core plugs (which were once good and properly fitted) tend to pop either because they are corroded and then the block's heat expansion allows them to let go, or else the head gasket's blown and pressure build up in the cooling jackets finds the easiest route out. :wacko:

At the risk of hijacking 6c most venerable thread, yep know that, just replaced core plugs with new and done head gaskets, more on my RR thread later

At the risk of hijacking 6c most venerable thread, yep know that, just replaced core plugs with new and done head gaskets, more on my RR thread later
Incorrect, Brexit causes core plugs to blow out

Maseratis will be Maseratis!

All the rubber fuel pipes have been replaced because of fears of further rubber hoses cracking and leaking, bearing in mind there are rubber fuel hoses in the plenum chamber feed by hot turbos. MOT is now completed with just minor stuff like washers and number plate lights.  

So the car rewards us by the drivers window packing up, motor turns so I suspect the drive cog/rack thing as we have had a problem with one before.

Anyway I collected it today and it is good fun!

IMG_20191126_130432 broad.jpg

Is any body free on Saturday or poss Sunday to help me get the Xantia ready for transporting?

In spite of my good advice Mrs6C says I need to have a replacement Auto gearbox fitted to the Xantia V6 and I have found one so need to get it transported from Buckingham to Welwyn Garden City next week.

Problem 1, my regular transport guy says I am too heavy, well he has a 1400kg max pay load and the kerb weight for the Xantia V6 is 1490 kg so I need to find someone else.

problem 2, small trees have grow around the car and need chopping down to get the car out.

problem 3, there is a dead Triumph Herald and bench that need moving out of the way.

problem 4, it needs a quick wash off to make it look like it is worth saving.

The good news is it started with a jump and has lifted on its suspension.

IMG_20191126_143143 broad.jpg

IMG_20191126_143717 broad.jpg

IMG_20191126_143818 broad.jpg

IMG_20191126_144850 broad.jpg

4 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I could be persuaded / bribed* to come up and help on Saturday. Anything interesting needing a little exercise? I’ve a meeting at Warwick university next Tuesday so could stop back at yours on the way home.

Bi Turbo needs taking to storage?