Autoshite on Facebook

daverapid

I liked the Facebook page at first as it was literally a dozen blokes posting up photos of Talbot Solaras, as the one time prolific shitest Dan_Hirst once said of the real forum.

At the time, AS did contain a fair bit of stuff that was nothing to do with shite and the FB page gave me the fix I needed.

However, I think its got better on here again, with threads topics ranging from russet Allegros to old MM 1 Mondeos needing a new home.

The reason a lot if forums have an FB page is to attract members to the forum. It worked brilliantly for the Scottish Vauxhall Owners Club but has failed entirely for AS.

I got so tired of the arguments on there I started trolling and I felt bad about it afterwards.

Maybe posting this which I found on the Flickr group would educate the eejits as to what, for many, constitutes Autoshite?

About Autoshite

Vehicles which were once common (or not) and have now become rare due to being shite. Or cars that were just shit in their day.

Can be in any old state, but stress the rare part, no everyday cars here thanks.

Dont take any offence if a picture is deleted due to it not being shite.

Exceptions to this rule are the Avantime, Vel satis and anything Korean.

Limit is in place as we dont want the group to get overswamped.

If you like what you see, join the forum which is located at the end of the link below!

http://www.autoshite.com/

Just a thought...............

I will confess that I deliberately didn't name the group Autoshite.com out of respect for those that founded this forum. I can embellish the description a bit but I'm tired now and will probably have forgotten by the morning - someone remind me tomorrow please! :)

I follow the FB group, it fills my facebook feed up with cars rather than shitty statuses from people I really should un-friend. Makes for good reading on the bog/having a rolly etc.

Have only posted once though, although will probably do again.

Preference is still the forum though. I also have no idea who is who on FB as it's all real names. I'm the sort of bloke that if I ever meet any of you face to face I'll only really know who you are by your forum name!

I follow the FB group, it fills my facebook feed up with cars rather than shitty statuses from people I really should un-friend. Makes for good reading on the bog/having a rolly etc.

+1

I have only recently joined the FB page and I think it is generally a force for good, or can be made a force for good if WE as autoshite.com users post on there. Read on and I will explain.

I have seen a few interesting posts and links to eBay on there that I would have not picked up on from this site. Unfortunately I don't have time every couple days to trawl through threads on this site and read them all, and I honestly wish I did.

Facebook has become more of a joy for me now after joining the FB Autoshite page because my feed has interesting cars in it, and not just a stories about old primary school friend's babies. I have a new black-mirror-megabyte-machine of the Windows variety so flicking through FB Autsohite when I'm curling one out in Morrisons toilets is an excellent alternative to reading some chav's graffiti on the back of the door.

Anyone who is on he FB page will have recently noticed that I posted cameraphone pictures of the Lada MOT weldathon straight onto there, whilst lying under the car still in my dirty overalls; and it was a whole WEEK after that I plucked up the patience to create a detailed post on Autoshite.com. THIS is what FB is good for. What with the ballache I find Photobucket and the time and care it takes to create an interesting and informative post for the pleasure of all, it is honestly easier to use Facebook. :oops:

One of the great features of Facebook is that when you join a group, pictures/posts from that group appear on your feed, we all know this, and the regularity of those stories depends on how frequently you view that group and how much traffic that particular story is attracting.

Surely we can influence this as Autoshite.com lovers? Those of us with smart-phone capability have a duty of care to the original Autoshite.com to keep the FB page within the boundaries of ''the Autoshite vision''. If we flood the FB page with mobile uploads of Shite spots, rusty weld patches and eBay spottings of cars of OUR (Autoshite) tastes, surely the chavs and non-belivers will leave the group? If I join an FB group and I don't like the content it is pasting into my feed, I leave the group. Simple as that.

Craig has a difficult job trying to keep an eye out of there, and instead of complaining about what is wrong with the FB page, and letting it be ruined by un-believers (not to mention giving Autoshite.com a bad name) we should make it our own-

Jonny McChav doesn't want to look at rusty Marinas. Post that cameraphone snap on there and put it on his newsfeed, then he will leave the group by his own accord. In theory* what we end up with is a bunch of Facebook users who have a vague (but positive) interest in Autoshite, and this is what we want. We want people to be interested and ask questions and post their own pictures, we need to nurture this 'ideology' and in the long run we will end up with a bigger following on Autoshite.com.

This is a very simplified view of what, IMHO, could turn the FB page around - OUR imput.

Who's up for it?

Craig has a difficult job trying to keep an eye out of there, and instead of complaining about what is wrong with the FB page, and letting it be ruined by un-believers (not to mention giving Autoshite.com a bad name) we should make it our own-

Jonny McChav doesn't want to look at rusty Marinas. Post that cameraphone snap on there and put it on his newsfeed, then he will leave the group by his own accord. In theory* what we end up with is a bunch of Facebook users who have a vague (but positive) interest in Autoshite, and this is what we want. We want people to be interested and ask questions and post their own pictures, we need to nurture this 'ideology' and in the long run we will end up with a bigger following on Autoshite.com.

This is a very simplified view of what, IMHO, could turn the FB page around - OUR imput.

I think that's perfect. :D

I would prefer that it complements rather than competes with/replaces this forum as I've had what probably totals thousands of hours of enjoyment and amusement out of Autoshite.com, and I'm sure dozens if not hundreds of others will have too. So kudos to the wonderful people who took the time and trouble to create this website all those years ago. But I'm aware the forum requires a certain amount of maintenance and moderation, and there have been some issues with server crashes/hacking/difficulties in new members being approved.

What I think might work well (from my point of view, if I ever get round to posting up more of the countless photos I've taken over the last four years and done nothing with yet) is hosting them on Flickr, which permits comments, then posting the link on Facebook. I'm not quite up to speed with mobile internet but I presume there's a fairly seamless way to do so, seeing as others have been doing that for a while now?

Totally agree with the idea of posting what we want to see, on FB. Elbow the nonsense out - hence for example, the Unimog pic. I know it's been seen before, but we were talking 'Mogs, so I posted it. Not what the barry boys will want to see!

Passive resistance ftw.

I would prefer that it complements rather than competes with/replaces this forum as I've had what probably totals thousands of hours of enjoyment and amusement out of Autoshite.com, and I'm sure dozens if not hundreds of others will have too. So kudos to the wonderful people who took the time and trouble to create this website all those years ago. But I'm aware the forum requires a certain amount of maintenance and moderation, and there have been some issues with server crashes/hacking/difficulties in new members being approved.

What I think might work well (from my point of view, if I ever get round to posting up more of the countless photos I've taken over the last four years and done nothing with yet) is hosting them on Flickr, which permits comments, then posting the link on Facebook. I'm not quite up to speed with mobile internet but I presume there's a fairly seamless way to do so, seeing as others have been doing that for a while now?

You can upload your pics direct from your phone to Flickr. I think its a great site for discussing pics of cars, but I dont like the new format for the PC. The mobile site remains as-is for now though so I use that.

Most peopple on here have a Flickr stream too.

Ipernity FTW..............

Only problem with that is, it doesn't give you an image link so you can't upload pics from it to here and AFAIK, they've not sorted their mobile app out yet so you can't upload from mobile to it either.

You're all on the AS Facebook page? :shock:

There's an AS Flickr group? :shock::shock:

I feel like the sad kid at school who's wondering why no-one's up for a kickabout when they're all off on motorbikes or smoking Es and copping off at Cinderella Rockerfeller's .

Is this why spotting threads and some of the other good stuff sinks without trace on here?

I guess at least it isn't quite as bad as "classic car scrapyard finds". I only put myself through the sheer agony because Ive found cars posted on there I wouldnt otherwise have known about.

I wish the facebook page just got left alone for the crap that the mongs post and anything that's actually decent got posted on the forum, I mean that's what the forums for right otherwise why have one?.

That's my conclusion. If people want to post up quality shite-related stuff, surely this lovely shiny new Autoshite forum is the place to do it? Binned the FB group off the other day (sorry Craig) and can't say I feel my life is any poorer as a result.

Au contraire, this place is gash for spotted threads. Good for organising meets, going into detail about things, and asking opinions/questions. But utter mince for spots - at least on FB, you can post something up, maybe have a quick chat and move on to the next thing, which is fine by me.

'Abandoning it to the mongs' is an admission of defeat! I don't think anything AS related should have the taint of the crass stupidity displayed lately, so it remains for those of us who use it, to keep on keeping on, and posting over the mindless gonks. Altho', if they want to stay and toe the party line, that's fine. If not, they can fuck right off.

• 4 weeks later...

Having checked out the AS Facebook site for the first time in a while today, I'm amused at the heroic job that Albert Ross is now trying to do in moderating the place. Rather you than me mate!

By the way, out of interest, anyone know if that "Daniel Vn" chopper is on here? I assume not.

By the way, out of interest, anyone know if that "Daniel Vn" chopper is on here? I assume not.

Good question, I've been wondering that, I was chatting about the facebook page today to someone i know, the verdict was that all the troublemakers off that classic cars scrapyard page that got banned have moved on over there and decided to troll the page, I haven't been on there for ages though.