What did you pass your driving test in?

boobydoo

Didn't bother with my test until I was 20 as I was into motorbikes more and like the twat I was, I had already been driving 5 years and didn't want anyone seeing me with L plates. I also got a 6 month ban before I could take my test. Then I grew up and my weapon of choice by that time was a Datsun 120Y fastback B210 which wasn't ideal for reversing around corners, but a lovely car nonetheless.

4749952824_f55b9dc860.jpg

An 'SLX Spirit' or somesuch nonsense. Silver. I think it was a 1.5. Instructor used to listen to Grace Jones tapes and perv a lot at any females within a five mile radius - regardless of breed. I remember it had remote levers to open the rear side windows. Otherwise, it was easy to drive but mindnumbingly bland.

An E reg Metro in Autoshite Racing Beige, complete with BSM pyramid on the roof. 31st October 1988, 9.30am.

I rode to the test centre on my RD80LC, and met the instructor there so I could have more time practising the test routes. Passed first time, rode home and insured/taxed the Datsun Cherry I had confidently bought the week before! Happy days!

Couldn't find a google pic of a BSM Metro, but here's my Cherry, complete with Stevie Wonder MOT by the seller :shock:

2008-03-25-1852-46_edited.jpg

Luckily for me it was a 1982 Cavalier Mk2 1.6SR which was my dad's company car. I didn't have time to wash it all so I just cleaned the passenger side to try and impress the examiner a bit.

On my test I pulled in early on and hit the curb. Thinking I'd failed I just stopped worrying and drove normally so was pretty shocked when I was told I had passed. I remember resisting the temptation to ask her if she noticed me hit the curb as I thought it might make her change her mind!

complete with Stevie Wonder MOT by the seller :shock:

2008-03-25-1852-46_edited.jpg

Haha I remember picking one of them up for £90 with T&T in that colour, had the alloys too. It had a speaker grill screwed to the outside of the drivers door to cover the gaping rust hole, used more oil than petrol and had a bent rear bumper where the lad I got it off decided to try to wheelspin away in first to impress some little girlies, forgetting that reverse actually lived where first normally would.

Passed in one of these

toy2601_sta2.jpg

Not doing that, I presume! :lol:

And had one of these sitting ready to go when I got home.Best day of my life.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGfb7Ify1TRFaw2rcyvTQee8V2tkX4ApUJB2ycmtpWE8e_dH1h

Know exactly what you're talking about there. On the day after I passed my test, we went on a holiday to Florida for two weeks. I had a Volvo 340DL waiting for me back at home. Never before had I wanted a holiday to end so quickly.

Great thread! In Germany, you are bound to the driving school and its car pool to learn, practice and to be tested in. No attended driving on private basis, legal driving only in school until passing both theory and practical test. My motoring school always relied on Diesel Golfs, so in 1988 the MK2 was the car of choice. It came in CL guise without PAS and sunroof and anything at all and was just annoying loud and powerless. If you encounter a Golf 2 Diesel nowadays, rest assured that they were rattly, slow and loud even when they were new. Just took 100 miles from new to make the dash come loose... (Not really but it felt like this). Btw I passed first time in mentioned Golf, tester got more and more interested in football during driving test.

Nothing exciting from me. I think I passed my test in one of these:

fiat-punto-2003-4137.jpg

My instructor intitially had one these:

Ford-Fiesta-3door-front-red-115.jpg

Though it belonged to the driving school he worked at. Then he decided to branch out alone and start a new business so bought the Punto, just as I had got used to the Fiesta. It took a bit of getting used to the Punto as the clutch was much lighter. It was easy to stall.

I took my theory in '02 and passed my test in September '04. The theory then consisted of 35 questions only. You had to pass 30 questions to pass the theory. The practical test consisted of a 40-minute pootle around the local area and either a an emergency stop, turn in the road or reverese around the corner, I had the reverse around corner.

I passed the test first time thankfully as it was the last day my Theory test certificate was valid. My instructor made a cock up of the dates my test was originally due and I had to book and pay for another, even then I just got that sorted, I had to phone my nan to borrow the money as my card wasnt valid and Mother_Sterling was at work. I booked a date, took test and thankfully passed first time, it was nice to hear the words - I'm happy to say you have passed your test.... The words didnt sink in straight away, but it was a big relief and a weight off my shoulders. Best day of my life so far. My tester was a nice bloke, very relaxed and friendly and made you feel more relaxed when taking the test, I'm sure though had I had a much stricter tester I may not have passed.

I remember the first time out on the road unaccompanied, I'll never forget it. My mum got the Micra insured and off I went to Halesowen to see some mates, I remember driving down Woodgate Valley road when I actually realised that no one was beside me, I was alone, driving to where liked and all legal!

I had my 'first' car (I actually had one before that, but didnt have a licence) in about mid '05, a 2.0 Sapphire Ghia: (not actual car but one exactly like it)

MySierraSapphireGhia1.jpg

Had the car given to me for free and ran it for a few months, sadly it eventually developed and engine fault, I eneded up scrapping it, but not before taking the wheels off, I've still got the wheels.

I passed a bit late - turned 17 in 1988 but didn;t sit my test till 1992...as it happened I ended up passing in my Dads Citroen BX 17 TZD Estate. Amusingly enough I had many driving lessons in one of my Mum's mates cars - she was a police advanced motorcyle instructor and she used to give me lessons in her Reliant Scimitar GTE 6b!!!! ...banging!

Next week it'll be 5 years since I passed my driving test on the second attempt. I was driving something very similar to this

26870177.jpg

It was on loan from my stepmother as she was replacing it with a newer model and it had accidentally been promised to both me and my stepbrother to pass our respective driving tests in then keep.

On my test I pulled in early on and hit the curb. Thinking I'd failed I just stopped worrying and drove normally so was pretty shocked when I was told I had passed. I remember resisting the temptation to ask her if she noticed me hit the curb as I thought it might make her change her mind!

I did that taking a 7 metre long 17 seater coach round the outskirts of Shrewsbury to gain D1 minibus on my licence a couple of years back. I was really relieved that the tester was OK / didn't notice as the hazard perception had taken me 3 go's and my employers wouldn't have been best pleased with any more delays.

Took all my lessons in a Mini 850 and Austin 1100, due to change of car by my instructor, I ended up taking my test in a brand spanking new Cavalier 1600 Mk1. Passed first time despite only having driven the car once before and that was to the test centre in St Albans!

Did my bike test on my then new Yamaha RD250E. Passed both tests in April 1978.

Took all my lessons in a Mini 850 and Austin 1100, due to change of car by my instructor, I ended up taking my test in a brand spanking new Cavalier 1600 Mk1. Passed first time despite only having driven the car once before and that was to the test centre in St Albans!

I also took my test in St Albans (although I had the advantage of actually living there!)

Learnt and passed in one of these:

800px-Ford_Fiesta_MK4_%281995-1999%29_front.jpg

Had one of these bad boys waiting on the drive ready to impress the girls with (except it was a "Trio S" version with the crazy trim and groovy green seatbelts):

800px-Peugeot_309_Best_Line_Rear_Left.JPG

It was a fantastic car but eventually I fancied a change, bought a Rover, and gave the Pug to my brother. It ended up like this: :evil:

23985340_1X.JPG

Passed in 1963 at age 15 in a VW beetle, as usual in our area I had been driving for about 3 years by then! Tester was the local Traffic policeman (there was only one) and he knew I was capable already so the test was only a quick drive about then back to do the paperwork. It was also my first drive in a VW as fathers Zephyr was unavailable.

Forgot about my bike test!

Circa 1981 and did the part one (now CBT) and later the 'proper' test on a hired Yamaha SR125. Had had 'private lessons on private roads' prior to that on my KH250.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVSdOFgw8_WwY_u88zgtVNk7fwMvpW0AXr6oQt0rI_IvlBUWLnnA&t=1

Much like this, only RHD and diesel. September 1990, 6 months after my 17th birthday. I failed the first time on a number of minor points; being too slow away from junctions (mid-afternoon, no traffic around, I didn't think it was a problem), and not stopping where requested. Strange one - the guy said to me 'pull in after the next car', so I did. Only he meant the space after the Landy, which I didn't (and still don't) think of as a car. My argument didn't wash. :lol:

small

July 2004, DAF 75 for me Class C test, failed because the tester was a c*nt. It's a long story, but I did come close to decking the imperious twat. And that's really not like me. Two months later, I did the C+E test in the same motor, with a 20' drawbar out the back. There ware marks on the flatbed, and headboard which all lined up if you'd got the reversing part of the test right... :wink:

Ah yes Richard, great little tool the old RSX. Still recall people taking the 'energy induction' part off (betwixt carb and airbox iirc), lobbing them on to an RS100 and swearing they gave another 200bhp!