The grumpy thread

outlaw118

6 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

The bit that's got toasty is just a quarter inch male crimp connector; easy and cheap to replace, the round thing it attaches to is a high temperature cut-off sensor. Any other bits that have obviously had smoke trying to escape?

Not that I could see, shall take another look. I just saw that and thought it didn't look good, or at least above my limited skill level... 😅

15 minutes ago, PicantoJon said:

Not that I could see, shall take another look. I just saw that and thought it didn't look good, or at least above my limited skill level... 😅

🙂 I'm all for people staying in their comfort zone when dealing with mains voltage, only have a go if you feel safe doing so.

On 29/06/2023 at 22:30, New POD said:

Insurance job ? 

Nope.  I may get around to butchering the sink unit and repairing it, one day.

Did have to put a new floorcovering in for her, pulled the ruined 'hardwood' floor up and replaced with vinyl.

At work we have a Volkswagen van that needs some warranty work. I drive past the dealership so I've dropped it in. They said it'd be 30 minutes so I agreed to wait for it, now they're saying it'll be a couple of days. I don't really want to sit in the dealership that long. 

There's some cunt here whose purpose isn't obvious to me. He is a customer but doesn't seem to be buying anything. Instead he's telling everyone in earshot how much his daughter's school costs, how much his company turns over (and that he owns it) and how many staff it employs. 64, although I didn't want to know that. 

He's also British and describes himself as a CEO, which I always thought was American for MD

11 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

how much his company turns over (and that he owns it) and how many staff it employs.

I know an MD who always says 'turnover is vanity, profit is sanity' when the subject comes up, but in day to day business fixates on turnover anyway 🤣

28 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I know an MD who always says 'turnover is vanity, profit is sanity' when the subject comes up, but in day to day business fixates on turnover anyway 🤣

Profit as a % of investment is where it's at.

Not as a % of turnover. 

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

Given the last few years and that it's a small manufacturing business, I'm not sure that they would like to look under that particular stone 😅

I used to think people who were directors of a company must be mega rich and have lots of power, until I became one. 
My wife who works in IT did a year contracting and so had to set up a company. I was just a convenient way to reduce the tax bill.

When she returned to employed status, I was sole director , so CEO /MD. My only duty was to pay myself every month until the money ran out and apply for a  VAT rebate every quarter from our accounting software subscription.

Best job I ever had.

2 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Given the last few years and that it's a small manufacturing business, I'm not sure that they would like to look under that particular stone 😅

If they valued the assets, the buildings and the land the car park sits on  and it turns out that they are basically a nit fir profit job creation scheme, that's when you've got to worry. 

14 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

I used to think people who were directors of a company must be mega rich and have lots of power, until I became one. 
My wife who works in IT did a year contracting and so had to set up a company. I was just a convenient way to reduce the tax bill.

When she returned to employed status, I was sole director , so CEO /MD. My only duty was to pay myself every month until the money ran out and apply for a  VAT rebate every quarter from our accounting software subscription.

Best job I ever had.

When I went permie, I made my wife's role as Executive Responsible for Director motivation and welfare,  redundant.  She keeps asking where the redundancy pay went. On the roof. 

3 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Don't forget the last line

"Cash is reality"

On 7/2/2023 at 4:26 PM, Metal Guru said:

Curry’s latest ad on TV.

New Dyson from  £849! £849 for a vacuum cleaner!? FFS! 
Can’t be long before there’s a £1000 one.

I do know of people that would buy a £1,000 hoover for no other virtue than to tell people they’ve got one. 

20 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I do know of people that would buy a £1,000 hoover for no other virtue than to tell people they’ve got one. 

My wife would buy a £1000 hoover just to use it til it's completely full, carry on using it til all the pipes are blocked solid and then say "dave this new hoover is rubbish"

5 minutes ago, cobblers said:

My wife would buy a £1000 hoover just to use it til it's completely full, carry on using it til all the pipes are blocked solid and then say "dave this new hoover is rubbish"

'Josh, the hoover isn't working' is what normally precedes me stripping the thing apart and finding the hose blocked solid with stuff a sane person wouldn't think to try and hoover up.

Just now, Rust Collector said:

'Josh, the hoover isn't working' is what normally precedes me stripping the thing apart and finding the hose blocked solid with stuff a sane person wouldn't think to try and hoover up.

Oh man don't get me started!!!!!!!!!! 10 metres of string? Fuck bending down to pick it up, we've got a dyson for that!!! Cotton buds? Hair pins? an entire broken pint glass? HAVE AT IT