The grumpy thread

outlaw118

22 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I popped into town with my OH and our little'un this morning. First time in ages. 

St Austell town centre was getting bad press due to antisocial behaviour from pissheads/smackheads a while back, although apparently the local constabulary hammered the issue and have 'given the town centre back to the locals'. It's a difficult one as we have an increasing number of large 'dryhouses' appearing on the fringes of our small town and it's clear the residents are getting bored in the daytime with nothing constructive to do. It's a long-running discussion locally that our town increasingly seems to be the hotspot for this type of property use, while Truro, our more affluent neighbour 30 minutes down the road, seems less affected. 

Anyway, back to my observations. As we waited for my OH in the bank, I observed three chaps openly drinking on the bench just outside, on the main high street. Bear in mind it's supposed to be an alcohol-free zone. 

As we left along came another of the brethren - this chap was completely smashed. The bloke was instantly intimating to some of the public walking past, shouting at them and generally being a gobby twat. 

I moved my family along fairly quickly and we headed further along the street. After popping into a couple of shops, we retraced our steps back down the high street only to spot the blokes from earlier again. This time they were milling around the street with gobby twat intimidating a young lass who was trying to escape from a shop doorway. As we continued past, evidence of a few piles of fresh vomit outside of the travel agent's shopfront presented itself. 

I really felt for the poor sods trying their hardest to keep their businesses going despite the current financial challenges whilst contending with this daily shitshow. I've since done a bit of digging and apparently this is pretty much a daily occurrence, despite the police previously insisting they'd worked hard to stem the problems. 

I can't see the situation improving any time soon. What a sad state of affairs. 

St Austell the ultimate turdtown in Cornwall.

This link starts at St Austell.

6 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I question my sanity. Have cleaned out the garage and have found used and bad brake parts, an empty tube of toothpaste and a lot of other crap that I don't understand why it is there and why I have kept it. 

The next challenge is cleaning out the shed, which I know has a broken gearbox, a rusty car door and broken springs and many used oil filters and a lot of cardboard boxes from car/tractor parts delivered to name a few. 

20230531_120816.thumb.jpg.38710e496cb5b38d1ad6a1d7d44d919d.jpg

That will keep you busy whilst the old taxi is away being welded :)

22 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I popped into town with my OH and our little'un this morning. First time in ages. 

St Austell town centre was getting bad press due to antisocial behaviour from pissheads/smackheads a while back, although apparently the local constabulary hammered the issue and have 'given the town centre back to the locals'. It's a difficult one as we have an increasing number of large 'dryhouses' appearing on the fringes of our small town and it's clear the residents are getting bored in the daytime with nothing constructive to do. It's a long-running discussion locally that our town increasingly seems to be the hotspot for this type of property use, while Truro, our more affluent neighbour 30 minutes down the road, seems less affected. 

Anyway, back to my observations. As we waited for my OH in the bank, I observed three chaps openly drinking on the bench just outside, on the main high street. Bear in mind it's supposed to be an alcohol-free zone. 

As we left along came another of the brethren - this chap was completely smashed. The bloke was instantly intimating to some of the public walking past, shouting at them and generally being a gobby twat. 

I moved my family along fairly quickly and we headed further along the street. After popping into a couple of shops, we retraced our steps back down the high street only to spot the blokes from earlier again. This time they were milling around the street with gobby twat intimidating a young lass who was trying to escape from a shop doorway. As we continued past, evidence of a few piles of fresh vomit outside of the travel agent's shopfront presented itself. 

I really felt for the poor sods trying their hardest to keep their businesses going despite the current financial challenges whilst contending with this daily shitshow. I've since done a bit of digging and apparently this is pretty much a daily occurrence, despite the police previously insisting they'd worked hard to stem the problems. 

I can't see the situation improving any time soon. What a sad state of affairs. 

Same in Sheffield & most of  country & the unofficial line is turn a blind eye.

9 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

pah piece of piss!

as an instructor we had to refresh every year but half the points and half the time alloted to trainees!😵

I've had my licence nearly 20 years, but they always book the refreshers at ungodly hours of the day. Plus my work is nearly 20 miles away.

I work nights for a reason, I hate getting up in the morning 🤣

17 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I question my sanity. Have cleaned out the garage and have found used and bad brake parts, an empty tube of toothpaste and a lot of other crap that I don't understand why it is there and why I have kept it. 

The next challenge is cleaning out the shed, which I know has a broken gearbox, a rusty car door and broken springs and many used oil filters and a lot of cardboard boxes from car/tractor parts delivered to name a few. 

20230531_120816.thumb.jpg.38710e496cb5b38d1ad6a1d7d44d919d.jpg

Flatten all the boxes and it's going to look a lot better. It should give some impetus to start on the rest.

4 hours ago, artdjones said:

Flatten all the boxes and it's going to look a lot better. It should give some impetus to start on the rest.

Yes, this will help, the only problem is that some of them also contain broken car parts.

I have to take a trip to the garbage station soon and preferably do it a little more often.

And I can't be the only one here who has too many old car parts and similar lying around?

16 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Er, intolerant to unnecessary change, if that counts as getting old! :)

What make out of interest? I don't know if it's a fault thats been introduced or whether it's a damn hidden setting where I can change it back. There are colour optimization features but it's already on vivid. If I select standard then it's even worse and washed out.. 

I did wonder if it was just my eyes imagining things but everyone I've shown it to agrees the colours look off. 

No it's actually Xiaomi or however you're supposed to spell it (yes I know all of my information is probably being extracted but I deliberately keep nothing on my phone I'd be unhappy to be breached!)

It's MIUI so the same with Huawei. What's also really annoying that I've found is that they've also played with the pin lock screen. They've shifted everything up slightly, including the emergency call icon. So, due to muscle memory, I keep hitting emergency call rather than 0 🤬

Normally I use the finger scanner but when I've got dirty hands (i.e, all the time during the working day...) then I have to enter my pin, so it's not like I can just use the fingerprint all the time. I could use a pattern. But why should I?! 

Obviously if I change the pin that I've been using since forever then I'll just forget it and lock myself out 😆

Why do they do it!? 

Yup mines a Xiaomi phone too, just uprated to OS 14. It's bloody crap.

11 hours ago, artdjones said:

Casually scrolling, I thought this was fork lift truck refresher advice.

It's always boxes cones or pallets as a course at our place, depends what the instructor can be bothered to find.

My last ft refresher was at a different depot and outside.

It absolutely pissed with rain so the instructor watched us pick up a pallet, turn 360 and put it down again from 50ft away. Everyone passed with pretty much no points. :-)

Suns out nowadays and all the local cycle club lot are out treating the roads on my commute as their own personal race track.

Dozens of them, every other night in the week - veering out in front of me while I'm passing them nice and wide so they can overtake their pals. I nearly ended up putting the van in the ditch last week swerving to avoid someone.

Yesterday, as I was pulling away from a green light at the crossroads (indicating to turn left!), a group of half a dozen of them undertook me at speed and went straight across - it's a good job I was paying attention!

I'm a cyclist and I absolutely thoroughly support this new push to give cyclists more space etc etc, but it really seems to have emboldened these absolute dickheads into feeling invincible.

Sooner or later one of them is going to end up getting themselves killed and ruining a totally innocent persons life who was just trying to get to work. 

How the fuck do you buy a car?, i can't even get NEAR one nowadays.

Admittedly, i'm somewhat limited to local things given the lack of anything on the road to go drop everything and see something instantly, arranging transport with a mate or public when it doesn't even matter if you agree to buy something sight unseen, some shitehawk will be there within 20 minutes, cash in hand, flatbed and away with it.

Between adverts seemingly not showing up for hours and insta-flagging as sold once they finally do, to even seeing them posted live, replying within a couple of minutes and finding out it just sold (like how the fuck?, did they post the ad whilst someone was looking at the car?, Did the buyer teleport?, it's been up 90 seconds!)

Then there's sellers.... try actually getting a reply that's not 'Sorry, sold'. You rarely ever get one. Radio silence until the ad is gone. The 1 or 2 replies you do get out of about 50 attempts tend to be 'i have someone interested already offering me over asking price' bollocks.

Phone number?, Cool, they won't answer calls, or a text. Email?, Yeah good luck with that.

I really don't want to do finance, but it's looking more and more appealing. Seems buying has become just as much of a ballache as selling and dealing with the mouthbreathers is.

Returned from our camping holiday in North Wales.

Due to pulling a trailer and having a roof box I travelled no faster than 60mph on the A55 and M56.

And there were still people going slower than me for no reason. Even HGV 's were passing them.

If people dont feel comfortable on faster roads they really shouldn't be driving. Likwise driving slower to save fuel - find another route.

33 minutes ago, Bren said:

Due to pulling a trailer and having a roof box I travelled no faster than 60mph on the A55 and M56.

And there were still people going slower than me for no reason. Even HGV 's were passing them.

If people dont feel comfortable on faster roads they really shouldn't be driving. Likwise driving slower to save fuel - find another route.

It’s even worse when they get onto narrow twisty roads or heaven forbid a hill steeper than 5%. 

Supermarkets and their rip off techniques

Just been into Asda , shelf end , 8 cans of coke £3.75 , walk round the corner and the same pack is marked up at £4.25 so I go back

3 shelves all marked on the shelf edges at £3.75 , bottom two , coke zero , top shelf diet coke , all 3 tickets read coke zero £3.75 so people assume diet coke is £3.75 and just drop it in the trolley

Took the ticket off and chucked it

Arseholes they are

9 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

And there’s his problem… 14 hours, no response!

The reply wasn't quoted so no notification, and i never looked in the thread 😂

The truth is, i don't have an answer to that....  there is no specific criteria, i'm looking for literally anything with a decent MOT, that runs and isn't a rot box, budget ideally around £1500 (i can't justify any more on something i'd hate) but very flexible if it's something i really like.

Problem is i can't get to anything quick enough, have no access to transport bar public or getting a friend when they're available and by the time i've done any of that, everything is gone. So i'm really stuck with a small pool locally, and can't even get to them quick enough either.

The few viable things that come up only don't seem to sell because the seller seemingly won't reply to anyone.

3rd message sent on a car today to try and get a reply, so much hassle for something that is so dull....

On that note, something i liked that came up and went in minutes a few days back, something VERY similar popped up, looked at the ad, it's being sold because the one i wanted replaced it and this one is more fucked, and the same money, and worse spec, and much, much further away... FFS 😂

14 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

The truth is, i don't have an answer to that....  there is no specific criteria, i'm looking for literally anything with a decent MOT, that runs and isn't a rot box, budget ideally around £1500 (i can't justify any more on something i'd hate) but very flexible if it's something i really like.

Problem is i can't get to anything quick enough, have no access to transport bar public or getting a friend when they're available and by the time i've done any of that, everything is gone. So i'm really stuck with a small pool locally, and can't even get to them quick enough either.

The few viable things that come up only don't seem to sell because the seller seemingly won't reply to anyone.

3rd message sent on a car today to try and get a reply, so much hassle for something that is so dull....

On that note, something i liked that came up and went in minutes a few days back, something VERY similar popped up, looked at the ad, it's being sold because the one i wanted replaced it and this one is more fucked, and the same money, and worse spec, and much, much further away... FFS 😂

Buy that x3 from @95 quid peugeot in the classifieds 

On 03/06/2023 at 10:47, cobblers said:

Suns out nowadays and all the local cycle club lot are out treating the roads on my commute as their own personal race track.

Dozens of them, every other night in the week - veering out in front of me while I'm passing them nice and wide so they can overtake their pals. I nearly ended up putting the van in the ditch last week swerving to avoid someone.

Yesterday, as I was pulling away from a green light at the crossroads (indicating to turn left!), a group of half a dozen of them undertook me at speed and went straight across - it's a good job I was paying attention!

I'm a cyclist and I absolutely thoroughly support this new push to give cyclists more space etc etc, but it really seems to have emboldened these absolute dickheads into feeling invincible.

Sooner or later one of them is going to end up getting themselves killed and ruining a totally innocent persons life who was just trying to get to work. 

this grinds me , if a group of cars started having a get to together of any type , plod would be there in no time  to give points out , but a gaggle of lycra warriors can do no wrong !  , they can have group meetings on the move  , speed trials , circuits and what not on a open road and curse any driver that gets in the way .

must get my 3 speed shopper out for a run around town and upset a few drivers !! :-) 

9 hours ago, Bren said:

I drove from Killarney to Killorglin a couple of hours ago which is 12 miles of a national route with a 100kph limit The person in front in a Renault Kangoo Kar insisted on driving at 50-60kph the whole way. Normally there are 6 straights where you can do a quick overtake, but today the opposite side of the road was full of a constant stream of Honda 50s returning from a bike fest.

2 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Auction? 
If you have the time, take a punt on something. If it's really bad then pop it into a different auction house (i used to do Exeter/Plymouth like that - bought/sold some crap but had a couple of good 'uns)