The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I have found out this evening that one of my friends has got engaged and another one has got cancer.

I found out purely by chance through just happening to see Facebook statuses, as always - why can't my friends be arsed to tell me when things are going on in their lives?  I don't have time to sit endlessly reading through Facebook, I only find things out by pure chance any more.

I'm thinking of just ending interaction with everyone, cos clearly no fucker ever wants to talk to me.
Having just gone through a bout of fairly serious medical shit, I can tell you the last thing I wanted to do was ring around all my friends to tell them.

Whether we like it or not, society and how we interact with each other is continually evolving, with one-to-many conversations via Facebook or WhatsApp becoming the norm.

12 hours ago, Pieman said:

I have found out this evening that one of my friends has got engaged and another one has got cancer.

I found out purely by chance through just happening to see Facebook statuses, as always - why can't my friends be arsed to tell me when things are going on in their lives?  I don't have time to sit endlessly reading through Facebook, I only find things out by pure chance any more.

I'm thinking of just ending interaction with everyone, cos clearly no fucker ever wants to talk to me.

Welcome to 2023. Try not to take it personally!

On 5/11/2023 at 11:27 PM, Fennec said:

Kinda wish they were, maybe they'd leave me alone. 🤣 

Rubbed myself in clove oil this week to deter the little twats, it seems to have worked.  😊

Here is your answer. Eating certain herbs and spices ‘could stop mosquitoes biting you.

The DT maybe be behind a paywall. So this is a web archive saving of the article.

https://archive.ph/omrwc

16 hours ago, Pieman said:

It's not just me then.

I've been away for the weekend at the mrs's. Come back and all the pavements are swimming in black oil. Er Ma, has anyone been playing with cars?

Well CND had the bonnet up on the range rover. Hmmm. Nothing like a good old reliable* TDV6

35 minutes ago, Wack said:

ATS Groupon on at the moment for gas  £45 I think 

Thanks for that. Trouble is with Groupon I have to pay it beforehand. If I get to ATS and they test it and say it’s leaking , I’ve wasted the £45. I’m not confident , so I’ll probably just go to ATS and get it done. If it’s ok I’ll kick myself for wasting £20.

2 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Thanks for that. Trouble is with Groupon I have to pay it beforehand. If I get to ATS and they test it and say it’s leaking , I’ve wasted the £45. I’m not confident , so I’ll probably just go to ATS and get it done. If it’s ok I’ll kick myself for wasting £20.

There is no charge if they cannot complete the job and you just ask for a refund from Groupon, if it won't hold a vacuum they abort the job.

I had mine done for £25 at ats a few years ago with a similar voucher. 

Guy was ever so worried when I rocked up in probably the oldest car he's ever seen there but it was treated as an experiment and I told him so and he relaxed then. 

45 mins later it was done and it held something but it dropped and he mentioned the condenser which was cool. 

Nowadays it's still about as cold, and if its not really sunny does produce cool air. Cba to really fix it though, it's not worth it. 

Probably depends on your branch but if you treat it as a test and ask the guy any questions if needed it'll be fine. 

Had the dead zero air con meriva doe at kwikfit too under a similar voucher, although the ex was heavily pregnant with our first at the time so that also had a hand in the choice. Worked fine, fucking ice cold forever and it did just need a regas m9

Bought a snazzy phone holder so I can see my phone when using it as a satnav.

Had a Covid jab appointment.  Set off an hour early for a fifteen minute drive.

By the time I got to the end of my street the phone had blanked out and was silent.

I knew where to go, approximately, it was only the last mile or so I wasn't sure of.

Got within a mile and turned the phone back on and Google maps was being an arse.

Changed to Waze and it said about six minutes.  After stopping for traffic lights, it said to turn left, then the next right.  Then the phone blanked out again.  It wasn't next right either, off into magical mystery tours land.  Tried to get the phone working but only the android logo for ages, rebooted it and tried again.  Waze unresponsive, just insisted on me registering.  Went back to Google Maps and it was close enough to find my way using ASDA as a landmark.

Went in (late, of course) and had to make a rapid exit, poison gas, aka perfume.

Stood outside coughing for ten minutes.  Nurse came out with offers of water and such.  Tried again but with an activated charcoal mask.  Registered and stood in a queue but the mask overwhelmed by perfume again.  Another session outside and the nurse took me in the back way to a pong-free room where the jab was administered.  Sat in the now pongless waiting area for fifteen minutes and a huge bang and commotion outside, most of the medical and admin staff rushed out to see what was up.  Bloke had a bit of a turn and crashed into a taxi.  He was brought in and seen to.

Went out to go home and there were three police cars, lights flashing, attending the crash.

Should have been there and back in 45 minutes.  Two hours :(

I don't understand what was up with Google maps and Waze, both have been OK previously with Waze generally being better.

Probably have to revert to the stone age satnav, never registered or updated.  Half the roads round her were nonexistent when it was made.

No idea why Redex decided to redesign their bottle, but the neck's now too short to push past the little valve on the Corolla's filler neck - so it all just floods out and pours down the side of the car.

1450623399_IMG_20230522_1406582.thumb.jpg.8063f3cf0d2d3a388b4f505587f5fa24.jpg

I had to use a lolly stick out of the bin to jam the flap open, then tip the remains down into the tank.

Last time I'm buying that, then.

21 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

Bastard Eurofighters always using Hull for some reason. I always think it's the end.

Except this mad twat flying in circles.

IMG_6389.png

IMG_6388.png

There were a couple of those performing some (very noisy) high alpha manoeuvres over my house at the weekend.  I stopped and watched them for a while, was quite impressive to see.

Insurance issues.

Best mate had her car broken into in the early hours of Friday morning. Not huge amount of damage (bent a rear door back, broke the glass) and not a lot taken (mint humbugs and a phone charger!). Insurance won't provide courtesy car or cover any transport costs until the car's been assessed in case it's a write off, which while I can understand was probably in the small print, is also a royal pain in the arse for her (car is a Pug 2008 worth approx 5k, didn't seem to be any damage to anything other than the door, while not impossible it's unlikely to be a write off, she lives a 60 mile round trip from work and there isn't a feasible way to get there via public transport). The breakdown firm she pays for through her insurance too picked the car up Friday evening. The yard they were meant to take it to was shut, so it went to a yard a little further away. The garage who are repairing the car will only collect the car if it's in the same postcode area as her home address (so in our case, any NG postcode) - the car was taken to a yard over the border under a DE postcode, so nope, no joy, breakdown people now need to go pick it up again and take it to the garage up in that there South Yorkshire. Obviously they don't find this out until late on Monday, so now we have to hope the car's collected today, maybe assessed tomorrow and a courtesy car provided maybe Thursday. A courtesy car that has to be delivered to the policyholder in person, within the NG postcode, between the hours of 8 and 5 on a weekday. Of course she works full time in a different postcode area, so that's going to complicate matters even further.

I'm sure there are perfectly valid reasons for everything I've just described and that it was all detailed in the small print that she didn't read upon taking the policy out. But as a result, I'm now stuck with her in my spare room and taking her to work and back every day until they provide transport (I'm about half as far away from her work). Granted, she's covering my petrol and helping round the house. But now I'm grumpy as I'm having to get up an hour or two earlier each day and it's disrupted a load of my plans.

Safe to say I think she'll be checking the fine print next time she renews her insurance - and probably avoiding a certain company with a nodding dog mascot...

I'm just back from the UK,when did the roads become so shite over there?

Potholes,rough surfaces,dips,hollows bad repairs,roadworks-the M56 is a nightmare still,was stuck there last October for over 2 hours and got stuck there again last week,thankfully just an hour this time,but still a pain.

I though Irish roads were bad,but they are way better that the UKroads now!

14 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

I'm just back from the UK,when did the roads become so shite over there?

Potholes,rough surfaces,dips,hollows bad repairs,roadworks-the M56 is a nightmare still,was stuck there last October for over 2 hours and got stuck there again last week,thankfully just an hour this time,but still a pain.

I though Irish roads were bad,but they are way better that the UKroads now!

IMG-20230506-WA0000.jpg

F in , crap ,c#@t of a sh#&e job happened ..

That s&£#ting little screw in the middle of the plughole let go ..

Just as I tipped a bowl of water away .... Then heard everything under the sink get a bath of dirty water .....

Anyway that's under the sink cleaned and sorted ! 

InCollage_20230523_181520667.thumb.jpg.715a5a11e40f76fc57311fb5feda92c1.jpg

Time will tell if the time hardened rubber seal is still up to the job ..

48 minutes ago, MikeR said:

F in , crap ,c#@t of a sh#&e job happened ..

That s&£#ting little screw in the middle of the plughole let go ..

Just as I tipped a bowl of water away .... Then heard everything under the sink get a bath of dirty water .....

Anyway that's under the sink cleaned and sorted ! 

InCollage_20230523_181520667.thumb.jpg.715a5a11e40f76fc57311fb5feda92c1.jpg

Time will tell if the time hardened rubber seal is still up to the job ..

That tube coming in from the right on the 2nd pic - maybe from the overflow? - doesn't look terribly secure, are you certain it's OK?

6 hours ago, Markeh said:

Insurance issues.

Best mate had her car broken into in the early hours of Friday morning. Not huge amount of damage (bent a rear door back, broke the glass) and not a lot taken (mint humbugs and a phone charger!). Insurance won't provide courtesy car or cover any transport costs until the car's been assessed in case it's a write off, which while I can understand was probably in the small print, is also a royal pain in the arse for her (car is a Pug 2008 worth approx 5k, didn't seem to be any damage to anything other than the door, while not impossible it's unlikely to be a write off, she lives a 60 mile round trip from work and there isn't a feasible way to get there via public transport). The breakdown firm she pays for through her insurance too picked the car up Friday evening. The yard they were meant to take it to was shut, so it went to a yard a little further away. The garage who are repairing the car will only collect the car if it's in the same postcode area as her home address (so in our case, any NG postcode) - the car was taken to a yard over the border under a DE postcode, so nope, no joy, breakdown people now need to go pick it up again and take it to the garage up in that there South Yorkshire. Obviously they don't find this out until late on Monday, so now we have to hope the car's collected today, maybe assessed tomorrow and a courtesy car provided maybe Thursday. A courtesy car that has to be delivered to the policyholder in person, within the NG postcode, between the hours of 8 and 5 on a weekday. Of course she works full time in a different postcode area, so that's going to complicate matters even further.

I'm sure there are perfectly valid reasons for everything I've just described and that it was all detailed in the small print that she didn't read upon taking the policy out. But as a result, I'm now stuck with her in my spare room and taking her to work and back every day until they provide transport (I'm about half as far away from her work). Granted, she's covering my petrol and helping round the house. But now I'm grumpy as I'm having to get up an hour or two earlier each day and it's disrupted a load of my plans.

Safe to say I think she'll be checking the fine print next time she renews her insurance - and probably avoiding a certain company with a nodding dog mascot...

To follow up on this - they've not even attempted to pick it up today. The reason the garage can't fetch it themselves is because its in a yard that can be no more than a mile into a different postcode. The breakdown company that can move it naturally won't prioritise it (think a certain coloured flag), Utter pisstake. So that's her stuck here til next week probably and my weekend plans probably cancelled. Not like I wanted to do things this weekend - oh wait - it's a Bank Holiday I'd booked off, my birthday and we also have family visiting too.

Sigh.