The grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 minutes ago, GregZX said:

Paid £8k for a completely new bathroom including a £400 Mira Azora waterfall shower back in September.

They did a great job and the shower was fantastic.

Until this morning when it shat itself. Had power to the unit as the switch lit up but when depressed no water would appear.

Took the front off and checked the solenoid for continuity. Nothing.

So no showers until the Mira engineer comes out on Tuesday. Six fecking months it lasted. Anyway, I'm going to get him to show me how to replace the solenoid on this unit as no doubt it will go again as soon as the warranty expires.

It looks very like my 2000 Mira Elite inside. The solenoids lasted 20 years on that. They are cheap, anyway.

4 hours ago, Remspoor said:

A women passes by our house everyday to walk her dog. The wife and I have made friends with the woman and pet.

She was going to London on vacation for a few days vacation .Asked what would I like to be brought back. I said tea is always a good choice.I  suggested PGTips. Today she brought me the present. Tea bags. Not PG Tips but Twinings. Great even better. The gripe is.....they are now making the tea bags in Poland. The Brits don't even make the best* tea in the world  now

The tea comes from India anyway. Hardly made in Britain .

8 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Well sort of true. Yes tea plants are not grown in the UK and they are not just grown in India. However, tea has been processed, made into drinkable tea, for a long, long time in the country. Look at the history of Twinings for instance.

There is nothing like British tea, IMHO.

640x640.thumb.jpg.cc0b1f9e8a5b3727ad74eff53d9e6c98.jpg

Yorkshire Tea, grown on the sunny slopes of Ilkley Moor.

In inclement weather it comes from the Barnsley tea mine.

On that note I saw on QI something called Duck Shit Tea, which only grows in cold, damp places so Yorkshire could be ideal.

Yorkshire Tea is the only tea that I partake of.

19 hours ago, Remspoor said:

A women passes by our house everyday to walk her dog. The wife and I have made friends with the woman and pet.

She was going to London on vacation for a few days vacation .Asked what would I like to be brought back. I said tea is always a good choice.I  suggested PGTips. Today she brought me the present. Tea bags. Not PG Tips but Twinings. Great even better. The gripe is.....they are now making the tea bags in Poland. The Brits don't even make the best* tea in the world  now

19 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Twinings are bagging their bloody tea in Poland? Is nothing sacred?

15 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

10 hours ago, artdjones said:

True, but Britain has a long history of tea processing and blending. Poland , I'm not sure. 

6 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Well sort of true. Yes tea plants are not grown in the UK and they are not just grown in India. However, tea has been processed, made into drinkable tea, for a long, long time in the country. Look at the history of Twinings for instance.

Her indoors used to work at Twinings, She left before production moved to Poland in 2012.

However, the plant was taken over by Spicers, who blend speciality teas in the old Twinigs factory to this day.

Keith Spicer (keith-spicer.co.uk)

They make the biggest rival to Yorkshire tea

Lancashire+Tea+Image.jpg?format=750w

and for softy southerners there's

Hires-9552.jpg?format=2500w

and for traditionalists there's

hires-1415.jpg?format=2500w

Shower of bastards. Have to come here once a week for kids swimming. Bought a ticket as always for longer than I was staying. They've recently changed the machine from printing sticky tickets for the screen to plain pieces of paper. Laid it on the dash and checked after shutting the door that it hadn't blown over. Then our Eve went to the car for something. Preditcable end result. I hope the cunts tea is burnt when he gets in!

20230225_164550.thumb.jpg.29a0b8c5f5a9e4e135f2d70bc4e3a12a.jpg

4 hours ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Her indoors used to work at Twinings, She left before production moved to Poland in 2012.

In the 1950s the main factory in southeast London was struggling to cope with demand. Production was relocated to a new plant in Andover, Hampshire  1966. At the time this cost £3 million. Andover was chosen as it was halfway between London and Avonmouth, where the tea docked, and close to Southampton, from where it was exported. Eighty families were relocated to the new factory. The seven acre site contained one of the most modern automated factories in the world, and employed 700 workers. The present day work force is vastly reduced from that number.

https://goo.gl/maps/xYFRpkFd7AMQUjhT7

The factory in North Shields was opened in 1970. So that did not last so long, unfortunately.

The Chinese side of the company.

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/0173412D:CH

2 hours ago, Matty said:

Shower of bastards. Have to come here once a week for kids swimming. Bought a ticket as always for longer than I was staying. They've recently changed the machine from printing sticky tickets for the screen to plain pieces of paper. Laid it on the dash and checked after shutting the door that it hadn't blown over. Then our Eve went to the car for something. Preditcable end result. I hope the cunts tea is burnt when he gets in!

20230225_164550.thumb.jpg.29a0b8c5f5a9e4e135f2d70bc4e3a12a.jpg

Had this happen to me a few years ago.  It's worth contesting, you have clear evidence of payment.

23 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Had this happen to me a few years ago.  It's worth contesting, you have clear evidence of payment.

I'll have a do. Had the presence of mind to take photos straight off. Not hopeful mind, and at the end of the day I have broke the rules. Not displaying a ticket.

29 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

5 minutes ago, Matty said:

I'll have a do. Had the presence of mind to take photos straight off. Not hopeful mind, and at the end of the day I have broke the rules. Not displaying a ticket.

Sadly the criteria is usually for failure to correctly display a ticket as you say, rather than failing to pay for the fecking thing

Which proves they are fishing for revenue, because a ticket with your reg on and time of purchase/expiry would prove you paid the appropriate fee and it was still valid at time of "penalty" 

3 minutes ago, Matty said:

Good luck, as the old VED contravention went though, the failure is not displaying, rather than not paying like you say.

as an aside my c5 and family xantia had a nice clip on the a panel to slip a parking ticket behind. Very useful really.

3 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Good luck, as the old VED contravention went though, the failure is not displaying, rather than not paying like you say.

as an aside my c5 and family xantia had a nice clip on the a panel to slip a parking ticket behind. Very useful really.

You're right. Briefly had a c3 with the same thing. Sight more useful than a cup holder 😄

12 minutes ago, Matty said:

You're right. Briefly had a c3 with the same thing. Sight more useful than a cup holder 😄

When I contested the charge a few years ago, they sent me a stick-on windscreen pocket for parking tickets.  This was a local council though, so not a complete shower of privately-owned bastards.

1 hour ago, Matty said:

Less use now to you, but for the future... you get wee sticky-back ticket holders for about £1.20 a pop on eBay. I bought a handful of them and we've all got one in our cars now.

Really useful as the bits where I park are mostly ticket based etc.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:40 AM, Remspoor said:

On 2/25/2023 at 8:56 AM, artdjones said:

950594485_download(10).jpeg.ca958fcfa7b13c771db2bbcab91b7f56.jpeg

The Irish might have something to say about that.