The grumpy thread

outlaw118

18 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Don't wish to sound anal but manufacturers specify tyre pressures for a reason. 

Case in point I serviced a Mazda 2 recently, the recommended figure was something like 36psi front, they were running 31psi and the tyres were starting to wear unevenly, not visibly but when measured - 4.5mm on the left/right and 5mm in the middle. 

But 32 is better than 26.

I've just checked and it seems more and more cars are 36 ish.  

1 hour ago, Aston Martin said:

But 32 is better than 26.

I've just checked and it seems more and more cars are 36 ish.  

Mine is 36 for regular use and 44 for 4 up fast running. That's way above anything I've ever had before and is I think is more a requirement of the wafer thin tyre profiles on modern cars rather than the weight. My old Merc weighed more but had 65 rather than 45 section tyres.

Explains why most moderns have such a shit ride quality.

2 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Been feeling crap for over a week. Testing negative all that time.

Feel a lot better this morning and:

BDBC34C2-E753-4441-BAB5-264029D2F073.jpeg

Bollocks.

Never seen or used one of those.  I presume the C is for Covid but what is the T for?  Terminal?

3 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Been feeling crap for over a week. Testing negative all that time.

Feel a lot better this morning and:

BDBC34C2-E753-4441-BAB5-264029D2F073.jpeg

Bollocks.

I didn't test positive until my worst day, felt like something was lingering but when the test says no what else can you do!? 

^ Thanks.  I did get a similar thing from the UK Biobank to test for antibodies.  It wasn't explained what the lines were, just to ring and tell them the result.  It wasn't the same though.

Failed to get enough blood to work it.  Came up negative, possibly due to said lack of blood.

Naturally the following day I cut my thumb, resulting in blood everywhere.   Typical.

32 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I didn't test positive until my worst day, felt like something was lingering but when the test says no what else can you do!? 

The other supervisor at work who sits on the desk opposite me has tested +ve as well. It’s gonna tear through our depot again.

1 hour ago, horriblemercedes said:

C is control. If it's working, that line will always show. If there is a line by T, it's showing that it detects you as being positive for covid 

If they design them to test for other things as well, will there be a U and N line?

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Makes me wonder if I had it a few weeks ago. Tested negative a couple of times despite feeling absolutely shite so just stopped testing (and still stayed at home etc). 

11 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Makes me wonder if I had it a few weeks ago. Tested negative a couple of times despite feeling absolutely shite so just stopped testing (and still stayed at home etc). 

There appears to be no rhyme nor reason how the test appears. Last time i tested positive it felt like someone had parked a class 47 on my chest. This tine it feels like my head is clamped in a vice

8 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Yep, other householders tested positive on Saturday 2nd and Monday 4th, then me on Wednesday 6th. Felt iffy from Monday, negative both Monday and Tuesday, felt really shite as the day went by on Weds and sure enough, positive that eve. 

It's obvious that I contracted it sometime before but the test didn't say so until Wednesday, the worst day 🤷‍♂️

I'm still isolating but how long for 🤷‍♂️ feel absolutely fine but still testing positive, dark red line. Wouldn't feel right mixing with vulnerable people yet. I've said to myself I'm giving it a week from the first test, don't think I can do much more than that!

2 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

This tine it feels like my head is clamped in a vice

That's how I felt on Wednesday and Thursday. Along with a throat like sandpaper! Seriously the most ill I've felt for years. Normally I can muster up some strength to continue as normal but not this time. Even though the main symptoms only lasted 48 hours I haven't felt like doing anything yet. Still feel knackered

Normally when I'm ill I take some time to fiddle about with the cars. Only stepped outside once since Wednesday and that was just to put the rubbish out

Go outside at lunch. Decide to clean the bugs off the front of the wife's daily. 

Bottle of Simple Green, cloth. Halfway through it starts to rain so I decide to finish up and let the rain rinse it down.

Finish, now wet from the rain and the rain stops and the sun comes out bright.

Le sigh. Go get a bucket of water, to rinse. Being as I have to do that, I decide I should put some spray wax on then dry the car off because the sun came out.

Halfway through, it starts to rain. Now, unable to fully dry, the wax leaves streaks.

A few minutes later the sun comes out, so I decide to wipe it down with a damp cloth and try dry it again.

So it then pisses down with rain.

That's the story of the last fifteen minutes.

I give up. It can stay dirty.

1 minute ago, 3VOM said:

Could you tell us (in the UK and Europe) what Simple Green is? I keep seeing it mentioned on the internet but it hasn't made its way across the pond.

It's a fairly effective but not too aggressive general purpose cleaner. Think Cillit Bang, that style.

I've started looking for an estate car to use instead of the Nissan for daily duties because of OMG PETROL PRICES. 

Its upsetting me greatly that I sold the Subaru for so little when I look at my options now. 

I know the Subaru wouldn't be as good on fuel as a 1.6 dizzler or something but it was an absolute beast for just a few hundred quid more than I'd be paying for some slow old bottom of the range clunker. 

Its really quite depressing trying to buy an old snotter at the moment isn't it. 

I think I need a lottery win to take the edge off it. 

I've had a buckle in my alloy, which caused a bit of a wobble a 70mph since I got my 7 series. I'm heading off on holiday soon and thought I'd finally get it fixed. I spoke to place nearby that has a good reputation and they said if I took the wheel off the car it would be a 3 days turn around.

I dropped it off 8am last Wednesday and they said it should be done for Friday but it might go to Monday as they're busy. Didn't hear anything so called yesterday and it didn't sound like they'd started on it but they said it should be done by end of day. Didn't hear anything, so called again today and they said it was more damaged than expected and it's taking a while to weld. Slightly worrying as I'm pretty sure the wheel didn't have any cracks in it so kind of sounds like an excuse plus more promises it'll be ready today. The car is currently on one odd 18" wheel from my 3 series so it's not drivable. It was supposed to be in for a service tomorrow before I head off on holiday so I guess that's now scuppered and and am starting to get a slight tweaky bum I might not see it before my holidays.

15 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

There appears to be no rhyme nor reason how the test appears. Last time i tested positive it felt like someone had parked a class 47 on my chest. This tine it feels like my head is clamped in a vice

That's a very specific feeling. I too would be very annoyed if it was a 47. If it was a class 50 I'd happily put up with it despite the discomfort. But a 47, oh dear no. They depress me at the best of times. 

On a more serious note me and the wife both got it last October and, as you say, it hit us both completely differently. Mrs Yoss got what seemed like a bad cold, snotty nose etc, even though they originally said that wasn't one of the symptoms. But it was. I just felt groggy for a few days and thought this isn't too bad, but then it moved to my chest and settled there for a week. Any attempts at anything other than shallow breathing, including trying to talk, just resulted in coughing fits. After a few days of that I did start wondering where it was going to end up. At the end of the ten days mandatory isolation I was still in no position to go back to work. Ended up being off for over two weeks. I must admit class 47s never entered my head once though.