The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Ma is mega depressed, and it's melted her brain.

Depressed 'cos we went to hospital for 6 monthly eye pressure checking. Dr. Doom says he wants lower pressure, try these drops as well. He also says she's losing field of vision. The thing is she's been registered as blind for 20 years. Every time we go to hospital or opticians she thinks they're going to go ah! take 2 of these new tablets and you'll be 20:20 by the weekend. Then when it doesn't happen it's mega depressed time. It's only going to go one way and that's downhill :(

Sky box went shite again, so stupid me says power cycle it. It then sat there and did a very good brick impression. FFS! Ma starts with you press this button on the remote, or maybe this one and keeps chuntering on. It's DEAD. There's no lights on it! You'll have as much impact hitting it with the remote as pressing buttons. She carries on chuntering and pressing buttons. She carries on even when I've unplugged the bastard. I put iplayer on the amazon stick and she finally stops pissing about, happy she's fixed* it.

She doesn't normally have dementia. Depression is buggering her up :(

8 hours ago, Talbot said:

It amuses me greatly that people design rooves in the UK for 1m of snow loading.  I don't think I've ever seen more than about 200mm of snow ever, even in the heaviest winters years ago that we don't really get any more.  And that was in Scotland.

Down on the south coast, 50mm of snow is exceptional.

I’ve seen 450mm (18 in) accumulated in the last 10 years in Scotland and 300m a few times. ( fallen not drifted).

8 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Yes, it's getting less, so more people are ill-prepared. At least the roads are quieter...

This may be but those left driving appear to have become dumber and definitely less confident.

Case in point- on the way home today I followed a Yaris which wouldn't go above 25MPH from Peasmarsh to the junction outside the Hawkhurst-side of Sandhurst. I think that road is the A268 but I'm not sure. No chance to overtake as on the straights, there was a line of cars approaching you, and the rest of the road is wibbly wobbly and all kinds of bendy. They'd brake going uphill (while only going 25) and slow down to an almost glacial pace when rounding bends or negotiating dips in the road. There was also the distinct smell of clutch all the time I was following too... I've never seen anything like it before.

6 hours ago, Fumbler said:

This may be but those left driving appear to have become dumber and definitely less confident.

Case in point- on the way home today I followed a Yaris which wouldn't go above 25MPH from Peasmarsh to the junction outside the Hawkhurst-side of Sandhurst. I think that road is the A268 but I'm not sure. No chance to overtake as on the straights, there was a line of cars approaching you, and the rest of the road is wibbly wobbly and all kinds of bendy. They'd brake going uphill (while only going 25) and slow down to an almost glacial pace when rounding bends or negotiating dips in the road. There was also the distinct smell of clutch all the time I was following too... I've never seen anything like it before.

Sounds like somebody has raised my Grandmother from the dead.  I drive her old car and she constantly rode the clutch.  And I mean constantly.  A pretty much full clutch assembly replacement and DMF was needed eventually.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:40 PM, Zelandeth said:

Robbing price gouging fuel companies.  Used to be a few pence difference between super and regular unleaded.

Usual garage today, unleaded: 151.9.

Super: 165.9.  So £0.14/litre difference.  An extra £7.30 on today's fill up.

All because they know a fair chunk of their customers don't want to play E10 fuel system failure bingo.

I needed fuel , I only ever put the 99 Ron in £169.9 at an Esso where they were obviously taking the piss so I put enough in to get me home then filled up at Tesco , momentum was £149.9 , think it's still 6-7p difference there 

The last time I got driven by my grandparents I felt sorry for their washing machine hyundai iTiny... 

1st until 30mphish then into 4th the 4th... In 30/40mph roads... 

Luckily their old enough that should I ever be allowed to see them again I can offer to drive😂

I remember following them to a funeral a few years earlier too, we joined the a1 at 40mph... Luckily the XM shifted like fuck when told so we didn't get squished by a lorry who swerved to avoid them... We arrived a good 15 minutes early and I didn't break a speed limit on the way

Grandad got his lisence renewed last week... I'm 50/50 wether they should be on the road at all, but if their not then it'll be what kills them, not being able to go out. 

Probably helps they live next to Peterborough so blend right in with the rest of the fucking shit driving in the place

55 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

The last time I got driven by my grandparents I felt sorry for their washing machine hyundai iTiny... 

1st until 30mphish then into 4th the 4th... In 30/40mph roads... 

Luckily their old enough that should I ever be allowed to see them again I can offer to drive😂

I remember following them to a funeral a few years earlier too, we joined the a1 at 40mph... Luckily the XM shifted like fuck when told so we didn't get squished by a lorry who swerved to avoid them... We arrived a good 15 minutes early and I didn't break a speed limit on the way

Grandad got his lisence renewed last week... I'm 50/50 wether they should be on the road at all, but if their not then it'll be what kills them, not being able to go out. 

Probably helps they live next to Peterborough so blend right in with the rest of the fucking shit driving in the place

Went out with my Mum (83) in her car last week, just to keep her hand in so to speak as she hadn’t driven for over a year.

A couple of clipped ( I’m being generous) kerbs and oblivious to changes in speed limit when entering towns, so I’m not sure she should drive alone, though I’m not sure she would anyway.

Scary isn't it! 

I remember my step grandad got talking to an electric wheelchair salesman and got hooked into a demo (bless, Charlie was a scammers wet dream at 93...)

The day came and me and mum were there (lived up the road) and the demo ensued. Mum was being very frosty to the salesman but we both wet ourselves when he drove it into a hedge after 5 minutes... 

Bloke hadn't driven for over a decade, had appaling eyesight yet the salesman did insist. 

My dad does alot of driving for my alive grandparents at least, although he then racks up the miles as he's a good 40 mile round trip from theirs, then up to Papworth or etc. Sometimes living far away sucks... 

17 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Right, Autoaid are on my list.

Had to ring up to update my payment details, and they've lumped me with the "you need to pay £30 extra for cover for vehicles over 15 years" bullshit.

Asked what would happen if I were in a friend's 16 year old car and we broke down at the side of the M6 in the middle of the night and I didn't have the extra cover because my cars are all less than 10 years old, and the cover is personal rather than vehicle linked.  Deafening silence.

They won't be getting my business next year that's for bloody sure.

Well.  If I can find a viable alternative anyway.  RAC I won't touch with a barge pole following the absolute nonsense I had the two occasions I needed them.  Likewise the AA... because one of our neighbours used to work for them and told me in no uncertain terms never to rely on them!  Green Flag wouldn't cover me when I last tried, can't remember why, possibly geographic given I was still based in a rural Aberdeenshire at the time... Doesn't leave a massive choice!

16 hours ago, chaseracer said:

Britannia Rescue have never let me down.  Yet.

Another for Britannia here

18 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Right, Autoaid are on my list.

Had to ring up to update my payment details, and they've lumped me with the "you need to pay £30 extra for cover for vehicles over 15 years" bullshit.

Asked what would happen if I were in a friend's 16 year old car and we broke down at the side of the M6 in the middle of the night and I didn't have the extra cover because my cars are all less than 10 years old, and the cover is personal rather than vehicle linked.  Deafening silence.

They won't be getting my business next year that's for bloody sure.

Well.  If I can find a viable alternative anyway.  RAC I won't touch with a barge pole following the absolute nonsense I had the two occasions I needed them.  Likewise the AA... because one of our neighbours used to work for them and told me in no uncertain terms never to rely on them!  Green Flag wouldn't cover me when I last tried, can't remember why, possibly geographic given I was still based in a rural Aberdeenshire at the time... Doesn't leave a massive choice!

I think Green Flag only cover cars up to 15 years old. It used to really annoy me when one of their adverts had a 17year old Golf in it! 

Vets.

Harley our King Charles has developed a cough - previous experience has proved this is his heart. We took him to the vets about a fortnight ago - a consultation and two weeks meds was £90.

We rang for a repeat prescription - they would only give us five says meds - that will be £35 please - he needs to go back in next Tuesday. 

I hope they don't try and charge for another " consultation" because I will do an impression of an atomic bomb.

I have no objection to making a profit - but I object to having the piss taken because of the emotional bond we have with our pets.

10 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Sounds like somebody has raised my Grandmother from the dead.  I drive her old car and she constantly rode the clutch.  And I mean constantly.  A pretty much full clutch assembly replacement and DMF was needed eventually.

I can beat that- my grandmother's Rav4 has had 5 clutches and 4 DMFs.

My 7 series failed it's MOT on a rear shock absorber.. You can't get them after market, price from BMW £812.

There are lots of second hand ones on ebay for about £180 BUT they're all for the right hand side of the car and I need it for the left. They are of courses sided.

I've found a new one  in Lithuinia for £575 or there's a guy in Derby selling both for shock for £300 but it's on Friggin Facebook market place. I don't want to drive to Derby.

That's the risks with running ageing mega barges I suppose but it friggin stings.

The Vet system seems to be setup to extract as much money from pet insurance as is possible, which means it really hurts when have to pay it out your own pocket.

Taking a pet to the vets gives you a flavour of what it must be like living in America when you need to go to the doctors.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I have no objection to making a profit - but I object to having the piss taken because of the emotional bond we have with our pets.

This, every time I visit. Can't think of a time when I haven't come out £70 lighter after a 'checkup'. Everything is geared towards making you come back for another ££ visit. I refuse to buy their meds now because I just think it's a mark-up racket. They are very nice and all the rest of it, but this is an industry crying out for a 'disruptor' - like online glasses did to high street opticians. 

I hope Harvey feels better soon.

28 minutes ago, cort16 said:

The Vet system seems to be setup to extract as much money from pet insurance as is possible, which means it really hurts when have to pay it out your own pocket.

Taking a pet to the vets gives you a flavour of what it must be like living in America when you need to go to the doctors.

We have insurance. Our cat, Jerry, was limping a few weeks ago. Luckily all was well, but the bill was £80. I was confident that would be more than the excess, but no - excess is £100, sir. Fuck's sake. 

Obviously I will study the form much better when renewal is up, but on the other hand I've got better things to do than this shit. 

34 minutes ago, grogee said:

This, every time I visit. Can't think of a time when I haven't come out £70 lighter after a 'checkup'. Everything is geared towards making you come back for another ££ visit. I refuse to buy their meds now because I just think it's a mark-up racket. They are very nice and all the rest of it, but this is an industry crying out for a 'disruptor' - like online glasses did to high street opticians. 

I hope Harvey feels better soon.

Unfortunately it's old age. He is ten next June. Cavaliers only live 9-11 years.

I think this christmas will be his last sadly.

My mother had a Collie-Retriever cross rescue dog that the vet reckoned was 21 when she was eventually put to sleep, based on him estimating her age as 6 when he first saw her and the dog living another 15 years. 

Mum had been told the dog was 3, so even if the vet's estimate was wrong the dog wasn't any younger than 18.