The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

I have managed to get superglue in my moustache.  I was gluing something, didn't realise the tube had leaked and I had glue on my fingers, then I went and scratched my face.

I wouldn't recommend getting superglue in your moustache.

Owwwwwwwwch! I superglued some of my head the same was once. Not recommmended, -9/10

28 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I have managed to get superglue in my moustache.  I was gluing something, didn't realise the tube had leaked and I had glue on my fingers, then I went and scratched my face.

Could have been worse. You might have tried to pick your nose.

47 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Laughing icon for your commentary, not for your woe though!

5 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Apparently the Peels were mismatched in this petition. Mind, I haven't done any digging myself so I don't know how true the material is. They have linked to said petition though:
https://order-order.com/2020/06/09/protesters-target-wrong-statue-in-name-confusion/

A similarly mindless collection of vapid virtue signalers petitioned to get the name of a riverside development in Glasgow changed as Buchanan was an evil slave owner; shame it was named after a completely different Buchanan who committed the heinous crime of owning some paddlesteamers(all property is theft, power to the peepil etc). Compounding the level of stupid in this farrago the developers have capitulated.

Bloody eBay sellers who can't be arsed packaging things properly.  Or even making an effort.

Yeah... I'll just ship this light card box containing both one heavy component and one fragile glass one by stuffing it in a massively oversized plastic bag (not even a padded one!) and hope for the best.

The item arrived in one piece definitely by pure luck rather than any judgement on the part of the seller.

IMG_20200611_130255.thumb.jpg.5897a3bb9aa8792d2c73f032e8e0f588.jpg

IMG_20200611_130338.thumb.jpg.43b24df02286d1714bf782daa8d0a938.jpg

IMG_20200611_130933.thumb.jpg.dd200555c14e0eb5d3dd849ac0c165a5.jpg

This is why I *hate* buying lighting stuff - especially long obsolete and hard to find things like this - from eBay unless I can collect it in person.

Had been after one of these for a while though so was willing to take the gamble...it very nearly didn't pay off!

27 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Bloody eBay sellers who can't be arsed packaging things properly.  Or even making an effort.

Yeah... I'll just ship this light card box containing both one heavy component and one fragile glass one by stuffing it in a massively oversized plastic bag (not even a padded one!) and hope for the best.

The item arrived in one piece definitely by pure luck rather than any judgement on the part of the seller.

IMG_20200611_130255.thumb.jpg.5897a3bb9aa8792d2c73f032e8e0f588.jpg

IMG_20200611_130338.thumb.jpg.43b24df02286d1714bf782daa8d0a938.jpg

IMG_20200611_130933.thumb.jpg.dd200555c14e0eb5d3dd849ac0c165a5.jpg

This is why I *hate* buying lighting stuff - especially long obsolete and hard to find things like this - from eBay unless I can collect it in person.

Had been after one of these for a while though so was willing to take the gamble...it very nearly didn't pay off!

like for the Mazda (Thorn) 10W 2D lamp and adapter :) (not for the bad packing!)

I really must get one of those in the collection again some day (I had one in the past but gave it to another collector) (although IIRC I still have some 10W 2D lamps on their own kicking around)

I however was fortunate enough to pick up a couple first generation 16W 2D ones on ebay a few months ago however :) 

even put one into use but sadly its included Thorn 2D lamp had some sort of defect and went EOL after only 5000 hours of 247 burning

need to pick up some more 2D lamps and put it back into use :) (im saving the other one for the collection of course!)

I have cooked steak, good steak at that... for the dogs! It is the dogs birthday (9 today fat bugger) and they get steak on their birthdays so I cook the stuff twice a year. I forgot that steak seems to lose half its weight on the old George Forman and in an attempt to be even nicer to the damned mutts tried to pour said steak juice (blood and general gore :( ) over their dry meal which I intended to mix in with 14 day aged steak.

However, I have a very dodgy left arm and a slightly shaky right one these  days... can you see what's coming?

Yes the juice from 4 bits of mature cow meat ended up on the floor/sideboard/tumble dryer/carpet and lino. What a bloody (sic) mess! Worse, Chester, whose birthday it is didn't even offer to help clean up! He was too intent on dancing up and down trying to see what was in the grill that smelled so damned good (to him!) and in his dancing, he managed to poddle dead cow even further into the flat. Now I am not what you'd call 'house-proud' but even I blanche at congealed gunge splodged into the carpet!

Also, said meal cost me £41. When did the stuff get so dear? I've taken blondes out for meals that have cost me a lot less than that and I got more than a sloppy kiss from a smelly fat dog as my reward.

15 minutes ago, xtriple said:

I've taken blondes out for meals that have cost me a lot less than that and I got more than a sloppy kiss from a smelly fat dog as my reward.

Erm... ?

My work colleague with the much mentioned e220d came over earlier as he'd snapped his wheel nut remover thing from the toolkit in the boot trying to get a wheel off and I (with much foolhardiness) proudly proclaimed my Clarke mains impact driver would undo anything. So he rocked up, into bay B of the new garage and I set to work.

I really, honestly, have no idea how the wheelnuts have been done up so tight on the car. Driver side front, none of them would yield to whats rated (and I can believe it) at 450nm of torque. the impact gun was held on each bolt in turn for 60 seconds or so with a good quality 6-sided impact socket to literally no avail. not one of them released their grip.

Moved onto the passenger side front, mild progress here, one (of 5) eventually releaxed its death grip on the hub. The other 4? No, not a bit.

I had to give up, I suggested he try some 'freeze your nuts off' type stuff but I wasn't going near his nice alloys with my brazing torch and the impact gun wasn't shifting them. I am utterly baffled as to what has been used to do them up this tight? Have they used JB Weld as threadlock and a tame silverback?

He messaged me later on to say the Normfest super crack had enabled him to get 3 more bolts (2x 1 wheel, 1 x other) off with a scaffold bar on a 18" breaker (I lent him one of my 17mm impact sockets as he only had 12-sided ones) but then was thwarted when the key bit of the locking wheelnut remover sheared clean off. So its basically fucked. The only plus point of this entire fiasco is that he's discovered this now, while all 4 wheels are fitted to the car and fully inflated. The prospect of discovering this at 11pm on the side of the M25 in the pissing rain with a flat tyre doesn't bear thinking about. Someone wants a damn good shoeing for this.

I went and checked all of mine afterwards and all yielded to a 18" breaker bar (which is kept in the boot) and done back up again tight, but not ridiculously so.

7 hours ago, PhilA said:

20200611_080406.thumb.jpg.ad5dd38595a226c4cce536ba75170bca.jpg

When the water out of the faucet looks like someone used it already.

20200611_080434.thumb.jpg.99edca669cc8f42644a1c813a54924dc.jpg

... Empty jug for reference.

This morning's coffee went down the drain, and a fresh pot made with bottled water is on the stove.

Phil

all fresh water has been passed by management ?

12 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

like for the Mazda (Thorn) 10W 2D lamp and adapter :) (not for the bad packing!)

I really must get one of those in the collection again some day (I had one in the past but gave it to another collector) (although IIRC I still have some 10W 2D lamps on their own kicking around)

I however was fortunate enough to pick up a couple first generation 16W 2D ones on ebay a few months ago however :) 

even put one into use but sadly its included Thorn 2D lamp had some sort of defect and went EOL after only 5000 hours of 247 burning

need to pick up some more 2D lamps and put it back into use :) (im saving the other one for the collection of course!)

Glad to report that it has survived the treatment!  Was never going to be certain until it had been powered up if the cathodes would be rolling around in the tube or if it would have lost vacuum due to some unseen crack under the cap.

IMG_20200611_204643.thumb.jpg.c8a06fca399018c6954ae1eb519f1219.jpg

Has been running all evening, will probably be packed away safely again for the time being.

It's slightly strange seeing typical programmed electronic start behaviour on a switchstart fitting.

5 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Glad to report that it has survived the treatment!  Was never going to be certain until it had been powered up if the cathodes would be rolling around in the tube or if it would have lost vacuum due to some unseen crack under the cap.

Has been running all evening, will probably be packed away safely again for the time being.

It's slightly strange seeing typical programmed electronic start behaviour on a switchstart fitting.

ah yeah, happy to see it is indeed working :) 

yeah when I first got one I was a bit disappointed to find out they did not have a glow bottle starter! (although a good electronic starter is of course much better for lamp life! and seeing good end glow is always satisfying in its own right)

as a side fun fact, the ballasts inside them is just a normal tridonic EC10/13 with just the mounting back plate removed, always thought it would be something custom like a Philips SL lamp but nope!

20 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

ah yeah, happy to see it is indeed working :) 

yeah when I first got one I was a bit disappointed to find out they did not have a glow bottle starter! (although a good electronic starter is of course much better for lamp life! and seeing good end glow is always satisfying in its own right)

as a side fun fact, the ballasts inside them is just a normal tridonic EC10/13 with just the mounting back plate removed, always thought it would be something custom like a Philips SL lamp but nope!

Does bring to mind, with the electronic starter (given the origins, I'm assuming it's basically a hard wired Vivatronic unit?), what's the EOL behaviour?

3 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Does bring to mind, with the electronic starter (given the origins, I'm assuming it's basically a hard wired Vivatronic unit?), what's the EOL behaviour?

never had an actually EOL lamp in mine (despite putting a good number of hours on it, these 10W 2Ds really can do silly hours, I think it was a 10W 2D that was the last lamp standing in Kev's crazy life test LOL)

but from doing some experiments with it the electronic starter acted much more like an EFS600 then something like an Vivatronic

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Mazda?

How much welding has it had?

City bloody Fibre.

Turned up yesterday and started making a racket well before 0700 offloading their mini digger etc.

No traffic management to speak of.

Utter disregard for correct use of PPE.  Who needs a guard on the stone cutting saw, or to wear safety glasses, gloves or ear protectors while using it?  Pretty sure Nike don't make safety footwear either...

Repeatedly blocked us in/out by parking their vans across our drive, despite there being ample parking available round the corner (which baffles me as that was actually nearer to where they were working...but who am I to apply logic?).

All their litter from their lunch, drinks and snacks through the day are strewn all over the street and our garden.

I have never seen such an incompetent, half-assed, inconsiderate bunch of workers...A lot of stuff I could overlook, but brazenly just chucking their rubbish in my garden was a step too far and had me spitting feathers.

Most of the ducts they put in a couple of months ago a couple of streets away have visibly started to collapse too...so I'm sure we'll see them back even once they're "finished."

They're already apparently on a "red warning" from the Council, well another written complaint has been submitted.  Not that I honestly expect MK Council to even acknowledge receipt of it if prior experience is anything to go by.

20 hours ago, Stanky said:

My work colleague with the much mentioned e220d came over earlier as he'd snapped his wheel nut remover thing from the toolkit in the boot trying to get a wheel off and I (with much foolhardiness) proudly proclaimed my Clarke mains impact driver would undo anything. So he rocked up, into bay B of the new garage and I set to work.

I really, honestly, have no idea how the wheelnuts have been done up so tight on the car. Driver side front, none of them would yield to whats rated (and I can believe it) at 450nm of torque. the impact gun was held on each bolt in turn for 60 seconds or so with a good quality 6-sided impact socket to literally no avail. not one of them released their grip.

Moved onto the passenger side front, mild progress here, one (of 5) eventually releaxed its death grip on the hub. The other 4? No, not a bit.

I had to give up, I suggested he try some 'freeze your nuts off' type stuff but I wasn't going near his nice alloys with my brazing torch and the impact gun wasn't shifting them. I am utterly baffled as to what has been used to do them up this tight? Have they used JB Weld as threadlock and a tame silverback?

He messaged me later on to say the Normfest super crack had enabled him to get 3 more bolts (2x 1 wheel, 1 x other) off with a scaffold bar on a 18" breaker (I lent him one of my 17mm impact sockets as he only had 12-sided ones) but then was thwarted when the key bit of the locking wheelnut remover sheared clean off. So its basically fucked. The only plus point of this entire fiasco is that he's discovered this now, while all 4 wheels are fitted to the car and fully inflated. The prospect of discovering this at 11pm on the side of the M25 in the pissing rain with a flat tyre doesn't bear thinking about. Someone wants a damn good shoeing for this.

I went and checked all of mine afterwards and all yielded to a 18" breaker bar (which is kept in the boot) and done back up again tight, but not ridiculously so.

Strangely I had similar on a 2002 v70 t5, ex police car.

Clarke impact gun you have never touched it. (Only thing mine has ever failed on)

Took it to the garage and it snapped an impact socket.

New impact socket and a scaffold bar 10ft long did it.

Thankfully I was doing a brake job and could drive it to assistance.

Must of been done in house by Humberside Police or a tyre fitter who doesn't like police. Weird.

On 6/11/2020 at 4:56 PM, xtriple said:

I have cooked steak, good steak at that... for the dogs! It is the dogs birthday (9 today fat bugger) and they get steak on their birthdays so I cook the stuff twice a year. I forgot that steak seems to lose half its weight on the old George Forman and in an attempt to be even nicer to the damned mutts tried to pour said steak juice (blood and general gore :( ) over their dry meal which I intended to mix in with 14 day aged steak.

However, I have a very dodgy left arm and a slightly shaky right one these  days... can you see what's coming?

Yes the juice from 4 bits of mature cow meat ended up on the floor/sideboard/tumble dryer/carpet and lino. What a bloody (sic) mess! Worse, Chester, whose birthday it is didn't even offer to help clean up! He was too intent on dancing up and down trying to see what was in the grill that smelled so damned good (to him!) and in his dancing, he managed to poddle dead cow even further into the flat. Now I am not what you'd call 'house-proud' but even I blanche at congealed gunge splodged into the carpet!

Also, said meal cost me £41. When did the stuff get so dear? I've taken blondes out for meals that have cost me a lot less than that and I got more than a sloppy kiss from a smelly fat dog as my reward.

At least you can get some use out of the shaky right arm ?

Surprisingly* I have a car to collect, but it is in the Sheffield/Worksop area. I have a few days at home, so thought I would look into a train ticket, reasoning trains are reportedly empty so a safe(ish) means of transport. This is a route I have often done for chod collections, and usually pay £30-£60 one way, depending on how far in advance a ticket is purchased, with a short notice ticket around £90. With the current climate, the ONLY tickets available are £170 or £270 first class. The robbing barstuds are charging peak rate fares at all times. No wonder the trains are empty!

Anyone want a car shifting from Aberdeen ish to Sheffield ish? I have insurance that will cover it fully comp.

What a lovely, cheerful town I live in.

Just had someone walk over to me in the supermarket car park and tell me that everyone like me is collectively entirely to blame for climate change and I should f*** off and buy a f***ing Prius already.

I rolled my eyes, wound the window up and shook my head.

That's three for three on the last trips out that I've had hassle from assholes for one reason or another.  Really wish I'd never moved down here.