The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, cobblers said:

I can't get a decent kebab round here, they're all the same race to the bottom cheapest possible stuff - the "sweet" tasting doner meat, and those artificial sauces from the cash and carry. I'd rather pay £10 for a really nice kebab than £4 for a shite one, but I must be in the minority.

Warning: contents may contain pork.

in a room that measures 4.5m x 3.5m, why would you choose to fit the only ceiling light less than 1m from the end of the room ? I'm baffled

IMG_2320.thumb.JPG.c1f347c96c9e70ebbdbedc568ca8ce9f.JPG

IMG_2321.thumb.JPG.9dd0de831f8b62bee97b689175bdc0b8.JPG

and is probably going to be a pain to move :( also artex ceiling omg asbestos panic :( 

28 minutes ago, gm said:

in a room that measures 4.5m x 3.5m, why would you choose to fit the only ceiling light less than 1m from the end of the room ? I'm baffled

To protect your modesty!  I'm assuming it's a bedroom.  If the light was in the centre of the room, you might cast a shadow of your naked body onto the curtain when you undress for bed.

10 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

To protect your modesty!  I'm assuming it's a bedroom.  If the light was in the centre of the room, you might cast a shadow of your naked body onto the curtain when you undress for bed.

hmm, (un)lucky neighbours :) 

2 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Years ago it was to simulate the light from the window at night time.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

how bizarre - I've never seen it anywhere else, I shall keep my eyes open in future.

I've had a look up in the loft and moving it looks to be a ball ache, it can stay where it is for now anyway

McDonalds In East Grinstead got opened at 11 this morning with people waiting since 8 am according to Farcebook but got closed this afternoon by the police for causing ridiculously long traffic tail backs on the A22 up into the town.
I got stuck in the traffic totally oblivious to the chaos ensuing while dropping a battery off after charging it for a friend who hasn't used his Honda Jizz for 2 months.
No good deed goes unpunished.....

Exactly.
The lights in our bedrooms are in the windows so people outside can't see your winky when you're parading around in the buff.

8 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion I'm the only person who likes the smell of Marijuana and doesn't mind the odd McDonalds.  I also have more children than bedrooms, so I reckon I'm probably the Anti-Christ

Not in the slightest!

I don't mind it in the background and if it's the decent stuff - but the smell here is so strong you can literally taste it and it permeates every soft surface it comes into contact with.  It's also non-stop, and really does smell like it's come straight out the back end of a skunk.

As for the kids, if they ever stopped screaming I'd mind less.  They were literally chasing each other round the garden and bouncing a football off the garden fence at 3AM this morning - and that's about normal.  They range in age from around three to about ten.  The language used at all times would make your average trawlerman cringe.  At about 90dB, at all hours of the day and night. 

When I say it's a two bedroom house, what I mean is a small one bed house with a second one you can just about squeeze a baby's cot into and nothing else.  We visited the former occupants a few times and it really is tiny.  How they all physically fit in there I've no idea.

They're not short a few quid either if the six month old Audi RS6 in the driveway is anything to go by (it changes every 12 months).  Drives like a stereotypical Audi driver too, full throttle everywhere (including our 20mph residential streets) and heaven help you if you get in the way, irrespective of who has right of way.

My amazon account has been locked due to “suspicious activity”

A rather amateurish email apparently from Amazon has been received confirming that I did a charge back for a £244 purchase in Feb and the vendor is disputing it.  I certainly didn’t do any chargebacks so I have no intention of faxing my bank details anywhere (yes, Amazon want me to fax my details to them, fucking lol)

But somehow my genuine account has been locked up and the only way I can contact Amazon is through their site - which I can’t access because my account has been blocked.  Of course customer services aren’t operational because Covid so I can’t watch Prime now.  Or order anything.  

What a pain in the arse,  

the other two bedrooms here are a bit wonky but nowhere near as obvious as the one shown. Thinking back over the years, I've lived in 15 various flats and houses and I'm reasonably sure they've all been in the centre of the room. I suppose it's not something you tend to look at but this one is so obviously odd. I shall pay more attention to the various bedrooms that I visit in future :) 

One of those days.

Mini woes continue, a new timing chain is needed, however I'm not grumpy about that as it's a 13 year old car with a comically crap engine.

What I'm grumpy about is that our Baxi boiler, brand new in 2018, has shat it's fan and now we have no hot water or heating. Following that, I now know that the immersion is slower than a week in Edinburgh. Furthermore, the HW cylinder is trying to compensate for the cold water in the boiler and is humming away to itself. That was an issue which had gone away by itself about 10 weeks ago.

Thankfully I took out a warranty and have had it serviced in line with the terms but the engineer can't come until Friday. The customer service people at Baxi have been consistently friendly and helpful though.

Having grown up in 1960's council houses, they always put the light near the window. I suppose it makes sense, back in early electrification days the electric lightbulb was a mainly used to replace sunlight at night time, so they put them in similar places and you can arrange the room to suit.  Council electricians being what they were, afraid of change continued this habit all the way to the 1990s.

8 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Thankfully I took out a warranty and have had it serviced in line with the terms but the engineer can't come until Friday. The customer service people at Baxi have been consistently friendly and helpful though.

I thought all baxis came with a seven year parts and labour warranty as standard. You can book a service visit yourself with them. Make sure you have the serial number to hand.

03448797948 is the number I usually use.

11 hours ago, cobblers said:

Having grown up in 1960's council houses, they always put the light near the window. I suppose it makes sense, back in early electrification days the electric lightbulb was a mainly used to replace sunlight at night time, so they put them in similar places and you can arrange the room to suit.  Council electricians being what they were, afraid of change continued this habit all the way to the 1990s.

I grew up in a house built in 1870-ish, I was 3 when we moved there, 1951. 

It still had gas lights although we never used them other than to see if they still worked.  Th previous owner was the owner of an electrical company - sales and installations - and had of course had the house wired for electricity - his electrician lived across the road.

All the lights were in the centres of the rooms with an additional one over the bed head in some of the bedrooms, operated by a pull cord.  Never seen one near a window yet.