The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I worked for a real bandit for awhile, said he paid "market". WTF does that mean? He could have just said "$7/hr., plus no benefits, retirement, or medical". Never mind he was an investment banker with a 3 billion dollar portfolio.

• Like 1

On 01/06/2024 at 16:10, myglaren said:

Seemingly quite unique

Rare but not unique as this is virtually my experence also except that ex is still with us. 30 years on, and I’ll see her this afternoon.

On 02/06/2024 at 23:20, HillmanImp said:

What do people do on holiday abroad? I don't get it. I'm not wanting to sit next to a pool, its boring and its too hot. I don't like the pubs as you can't talk to people as I don't know the lingo. Every British person I speak to is a total cunt. People fucking hassle me just walking down the street trying to sell me shit. Most of the staff at the bars and restaurants obviously fucking hate the forrins (see previous about British people). Everything is difficult, be it buses, buying stuff, etiquette in different situations, as I don't know how things work here. I don't get the appeal of any of it. Why do we pay money to just be totally stressed out all the time? 

I've always hated holidays abroad but I really, really just can't get into it now after managing to avoid it for a few years. 

I think I used to just drink my way through it but can't really do that the way I used to. 

I genuinely can't wait to go home.

On the plus side I did see a couple of Renault 9s but its not enough to take the edge off it. 

From what I've written above, it almost sounds like I need to go all inclusive but I've tried that and it was even worse (its the fucking British cunts that ruin it, cunting about being British cunts). Think part of my problem now is probably from some sort of PTSD from the time I went to Fuerteventura all inclusive for 2 weeks. 

I just want to be back in the UK where I feel comfortable and not on edge all the time. 

I'm off to France later this year but thats with some mates cycling and drinking, so is a bit different. I imagine that'll be bearable. Plus I can get by with the language 'Par le vue Anglais' and 'Jambon sandwich si vou plias' and 'Good moaning' or summink like that. 

Or Skiing, I love that, you're out doing stuff all day and the staff in the resorts are always cool in my experience, always out partying with them despite not understanding each other. 

Shitty foreign summer holidays just fucking ruin me. I really REALLY hate being abroad. 

Worst. Humblebrag. Ever!

• Haha 3

On 31/05/2024 at 16:45, Datsuncog said:

Apparently, banks don't/ won't give you bags of coins anymore.

Or at least, Nationwide doesn't - I was just after a bag or two of pound coins to use as a cash float for a car boot sale tomorrow morning.

But no, coins aren't a thing they keep on the premises anymore. I mean, it's been a couple of years since I last tried to flog a load of assorted tat, but I don't recall having difficulty in making a withdrawal in coin bags before.

I also had to wait in a queue for twenty minutes in order to make this discovery, which annoyed me even more.

I ended up in Tesco on one of their self-serve machines, buying individual bananas with a series of £10 notes in order to get some pound coins and a couple of 50ps in change.

If some twat rocks up early doors trying to buy a 10p comic with a £20 note, they may find themselves involuntarily eating it...

The Banana ?

On 31/05/2024 at 21:49, Mrcento said:

Banks don't want to handle money, full stop. Coins or notes. They basically just want to move money about on screens between accounts and cash cheques.

Last few times i've had anything to do with money and banks (not even big amounts, we're talking cheap runabout car money), it's been hellish. They basically treat you like some kind of drug running gangster, take you off to the side or shuffled off into a back room with several staff members, get questioned about where you got the money (or what you want it for if you're taking it out, like it's any of their fucking business), basically cordoned off half the branch over somebody having the audacity to do something with about 1k of their own money. It's insane.

I took some cash out from the bank for a car, they asked me what car it was, have i seen the car and was i happy with the car 😕

24 minutes ago, loserone said:

Screenshot_20240309-111320.thumb.png.e7fe86384d81cc5cdb77d55d8e2ba43f.png

I get that quite often when I’m moving money between my own accounts with different banks, just seems like lazy arse covering in my opinion.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Got in the car to come home at 4, turned it on and heard a beep I've never heard during startup before... AIR BAG

Drove home because fuck caring at the office. Got home, turned it off and on again and no light... 

Now I'm nervous... 😅😡 Haven't even moved a seat and that's the only time it's ever come in before

Just popped out to pick something up a few miles away and it bloody came on whilst I was driving 😬

Might get a tin of brake cleaner and brake unplugging, cleaning and re-plugging in the seat connectors... Otherwise I've no idea wtf it could be, I'd have to get a code reader for it

Mot in August... 

Was in Dunelm earlier, buying curtains.

I'm getting fucking worried.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, iainrcz said:

It will be elasticated trousers next !

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, camryv6 said:

Curtains and a Corolla will do for now 🤣

1 hour ago, camryv6 said:

Mmmm, comfy slacks... 😁

• Agree 2

Mrs CW returned home to report the wipers on her i20 won't stop. Spent most of the rest of the day ascertaining that it is indeed the self park bit of the motor that has failed. And that while i bodged it back into working, a durable long lasting fix it will likely not be. So, a new motor it is then.

Which can only be sourced from Hyundai (despite being made by Denso)

And will cost £398.

• Sad 3

CND have gone on a term time holiday 'cos the world will always need thick kids who can mix cement but can't read. I'd be depeche mode, but there's someone in their back garden. It could be the man who's been feeding the dog every night. Or it could be some other cunt who's waiting for them to come back.

An illegal use of my ears and nose reveals said man has spent the last 3 hours stood in the back garden a: coughing his lungs out followed by b: smoking weed. B strangely leads to more of A. I thought he'd fuck off once it got dark, or run out of weed by now, but the constant coughing says he's still there. Maybe CND owes him money. 

Not sure if I should do anything? Don't fancy going round to investigate who he is. If I got cops out and he turns out to be the bezzie m8 dog man CND aren't going to be best pleased.

EDIT: coughing stopped at 3 1/2 hours. Problem solved!

12 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

I get that quite often when I’m moving money between my own accounts with different banks, just seems like lazy arse covering in my opinion.

Co-op bank is the worst. My mother has several accounts with them and I do online banking for her with a LPA. If you transfer more than £1000, they phone her with a security message. She phoned me and says “I didn’t know if it was a scam , so put the phone down.” I then have to phone them , minimum waiting time on hold 20 minutes, typically close to an hour, and they just ask minimal security questions before saying ok aren’t we great taking your security so seriously”. Worst still, they tell you a transfer has gone though online but have actually put a stop on it.

I’ve taken to moving any money in multiples of £999.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

An illegal use of my ears and nose reveals said man has spent the last 3 hours stood in the back garden a: coughing his lungs out followed by b: smoking weed. B strangely leads to more of A. I thought he'd fuck off once it got dark, or run out of weed by now, but the constant coughing says he's still there. Maybe CND owes him money. 

Should have checked out where he was getting the stuff from.  Fiver says it was from inside their house - remember we never got to the bottom of what your beloved aircon units were really there for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, chodweaver said:

Mrs CW returned home to report the wipers on her i20 won't stop. Spent most of the rest of the day ascertaining that it is indeed the self park bit of the motor that has failed. And that while i bodged it back into working, a durable long lasting fix it will likely not be. So, a new motor it is then.

And will cost £398.

Parts only being available from Hyundai themselves and the associated prices is one thing that stopped me buying an i30 a few months ago.

(I was actually genuinely considering an i30 N, but the above plus the lack of fuel economy plus realising just how loud the things are put me off!)

On 02/06/2024 at 21:38, artdjones said:

I had my a/c regassed about 3 weeks ago (it's €120 in Ireland). This week I noticed it had stopped working, although there was obvs. some gas in as the fan was working. I checked fuses, all ok, then took off the service port caps to see if there was actually gas in. Immediately I took of the lp cap I noticed gas hissing out before I touched anything. Bouncing the valve open and shut did nothing, so now the system is empty again, and that's 120 wasted. I know leaky valves dont show up during the refill, as the valve is held open for the new gas to go in, but shouldn't they check it after disconnecting? That was probably the original fault as well.

Are they special valves? They are the same size as a tyre valve, but is a tyre valve an adequate substitute?

Assortments of specific A/C valves are available on eBay for £notmuch

They all use different shapes and sizes although I have used a tyre valve before where it's the same size! 

A word of caution though - I've had some before that don't like being removed, almost like they're screwed in with some sort of adhesive/sealant stuff from factory. So they've either pulled the threads out, or the new one just hasn't sealed. If it's leaking anyway then you've got nothing to lose but don't be surprised if you need to either fork out for a new pipe or write the system off as "defunct" 

7 hours ago, iainrcz said:

Measured wrong? 🤣

1 hour ago, jakebullet said:

CND have gone on a term time holiday 'cos the world will always need thick kids who can mix cement but can't read. I'd be depeche mode, but there's someone in their back garden. It could be the man who's been feeding the dog every night. Or it could be some other cunt who's waiting for them to come back.

Not sure if I should do anything? Don't fancy going round to investigate who he is. If I got cops out and he turns out to be the bezzie m8 dog man CND aren't going to be best pleased.

EDIT: coughing stopped at 3 1/2 hours. Problem solved!

Bit of luck it's his last cough.

2 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Assortments of specific A/C valves are available on eBay for £notmuch

They all use different shapes and sizes although I have used a tyre valve before where it's the same size! 

A word of caution though - I've had some before that don't like being removed, almost like they're screwed in with some sort of adhesive/sealant stuff from factory. So they've either pulled the threads out, or the new one just hasn't sealed. If it's leaking anyway then you've got nothing to lose but don't be surprised if you need to either fork out for a new pipe or write the system off as "defunct" 

I took it to a place that specializes in Vehicle A/C who replaced both valves and gave it a regas. And checked for leaks once full, like the other garage should have done. I should have gone to him in the first place,  but it's not far off an hour away. Nice and chilly all the way home, however.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, iainrcz said:

3 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Measured wrong? 🤣

I think the phrase goes "measure twice, buy curtains once" or some shit like that.

7 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Measured wrong? 🤣

My Mrs used to work for a company called Rosebys, a bit like Dunelm.

She's full of interesting* home furnishings information.

Took the new Xc70 out last night, it's been ace so far.

However 4 up on the way to darts, it starts emitting a continuous squeak from the rear suspension - most likely the rear trailing arm bush.  I knew I'd probably end up replacing them eventually but I'd really rather have waited until I had the time!

10 hours ago, Pieman said:

Should have checked out where he was getting the stuff from.  Fiver says it was from inside their house - remember we never got to the bottom of what your beloved aircon units were really there for.

Fair point, could have been waiting for them to come back to buy herbs* Hopefully won't be back tonight.

22 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Just popped out to pick something up a few miles away and it bloody came on whilst I was driving 😬

Might get a tin of brake cleaner and brake unplugging, cleaning and re-plugging in the seat connectors... Otherwise I've no idea wtf it could be, I'd have to get a code reader for it

Mot in August... 

Might be the clock spring in the steering wheel, at least if it's a Renault. For the Megane II sedan sold over here it was a common problem.

31 minutes ago, TataBobu said:

Might be the clock spring in the steering wheel, at least if it's a Renault. For the Megane II sedan sold over here it was a common problem.

I had that fleeting thought too! It's a 2002 xsara though and I don't think their renowned for clock spring buggary. Seat connectors though, bang in that era! 

It stayed off this morning on my way into work 🤞 I did buy a tin of brake clean yesterday though and want to find time to unplug and clean the connectors (unless it stays off all the time before Sunday then I'll leave it alone...) 

14 hours ago, chodweaver said:

And will cost £398.

Any ID numbers on the motor? May be some cross-compatability with another Denso unit?

Or get an alternator rebuild type place to have a look?

Hoorah - we actually get a sunny day at the weekend. Flaming June is here, we can actually sit in the garden, have a drink and chat, play with the dog, and admire all the new plants my OH has lovingly planted.

Except for 2 separate near neighbours who immediately have to have BBQs, but haven't cleaned the fecking things since last used, so now we're smothered in the smeech of burning fat - like being downwind from a badly run crematoria.

Having politely mentioned it to them both when I saw them later, it "stops it all from rusting"* - just admit you're lazy mingebags.

• Sad 3

On 05/06/2024 at 12:08, inconsistant said:

Worst. Humblebrag. Ever!

I ain't bragging. Its fucking awful. 😂

45 degrees where we were today. Absolutely unbearable. ImpJr was feeling sick and nearly keeling over.

It was so hot I wasn't able to drink any booze which has resulted in an uncomfortable level of soberness thats making the whole experience worse, as it all becomes ever so slightly more bearable each day once I've got my first morning pint down me but I just couldn't do it today.

Sure other people are thinking thats nowt etc but I just hate hot weather. I wish we'd just gone to Torquay. I've managed to avoid going abroad for a few years but relented this year as ImpJr wanted to but I think he's up for never doing anything like this again too thank god. Although that might not be the heat, might just be because of my constant fucking moaning getting on his tits. 😂 

• Sad 1