Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - The Autodoc will see you now.

I don't have a photo, but I sorted this out last night. No leaks from the new seal so far, or the RTV gasket. Marvellous. 

I now have a weeping CV joint, the joint I took apart. I didn't see anything that required the use of a gasket between the two mating surfaces. I'm going to say it probably does need one, so I'm going to go under the car this evening and re-do the CV joint with some RTV. Then give it a longer test tomorrow when the gasket has set properly.

In other news, I decided to look at the MOT advisory sheet. Emissions were noted, and I think that's because the middle box is a little bit blowy. There's a rattle and it sounds shit, so I'm going to give it a tickle with the angry pixie stick some time. Brake lines were noted as corroded. For a laugh I rang Toyota to see how much it would cost to replace all of the steel brake lines. It would cost £320. Given what they are, what they do, I don't think that's all too bad really. 

Except, most of the lines aren't made any more. So, yeah. I'm going to have to go down a cunifer route which is less than ideal.

Polish_20201006_114525305.thumb.jpg.a778c8daabd657cbfdb748f054a96fe2.jpg

Polish_20201006_114544947.thumb.jpg.5ee6f99c11d01a440de42cf631550414.jpg

• sgtberbatov changed the title to Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - Hold the (brake) line

I got round to condensing the rear differential oil seal replacement in to as short of a video as I could get:

Could be applied to any vehicle that doesn't use an english axle I think, but it's there for people to keep these RAV4's on the road.

In other news, as you'll see in the video I mention there's a rattle from the exhaust. The rattle is coming from the catalytic converter, and unfortunately it isn't a heat shield. It's rattling inside the cat. I'm tempted to decat it, but then we have the issues with emissions which it already failed on (probably because the cat was already on it's way out!). So I'm going to get one priced up and and see how much it'll cost to get replaced. 

• sgtberbatov changed the title to Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - Video for great benefit of rear differential
15 hours ago, 666jjp said:

check ebay as there seem to be some on there that don't break the bank

Yeah, I've seen them. But I'd have to factor in someone changing it because I've done the whole exhaust on the driveway thing and I hated it. Plus the bolts look crusty AF.

I am having a wonderful day today.

I've snapped off 5 of the 7 bolt/screw that hold the underneath splash guard thing in place, and the replacement ones I bought are too damn small. Plus I'll need to drill out the remnants of the screws to put the new ones in. 

So while I waited for the 5 litres of old, disgusting, smelly gearbox oil, I laid there and looked at what's under it. 

IMG_20201017_131552.thumb.jpg.49a69fa0038dafb072362388b8442494.jpg

Remember that rattle? Well I thought it was the heat shield as it was falling off! Took the loose bits off, strapped a jubilee clip around it. Turned the engine on and.... No. It's deffo the cat.

Also got to see the inside of the brakes. Think I've a stuck piston on the caliper, judging by the non existent brake pad on the inside. 

IMG_20201017_131603.thumb.jpg.9eba6cce20d3ae99d301a35771267585.jpg

So I'm going to buy a rebuild kit for the two calipers just in case, new pads, new discs. I genuinely haven't got the fucking energy or patience for the cat to be honest. So I may find a mechanic who doesn't mind dealing with 25 year old rusted bolts on the exhaust system, because I sure as hell won't!

I am having a wonderful day.

• sgtberbatov changed the title to Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - The Autodoc will see you now.

So after spending the weekend stewing over this, I've got the nearly maxed out credit card and spunked £154 on brake pads, discs, caliper repair kits and a catalytic converter. Based on the STARKK braking components I got given for my Corolla, the RIDEX things that Autodoc are selling for cheap will do.

325194650_Screenshotfrom2020-10-1909-53-00.png.a068a4ffe23e6b2c1a39d3250b314db0.png

The next day delivery cost of the catalytic converter made me chuckle though. Nah, you're alright mate. I'll wait for 48 hours.

1026786245_Screenshotfrom2020-10-1909-50-45.png.6889cd353f3ba3491c71ef6fa96db20c.png

I bought a lambda sensor just in case, as it might not come out of the hole it's been so fond of for God knows how many years. Going to take the converter and the RAV4 to a mechanic and get them to suffer taking it off. I've been there and done it with the Corolla, and I ain't gonna go back to it no more!

They always have X% off them, although today seemed to be as good a day as any to buy. Pity I didn't do this last week, they'd probably turn up next week in time for a week off I have coming up.

With the brake lines, I've got some cunifer pipe in the garage so I could make them up myself. If I'm that bothered!