What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

To balance out the grump, a grin for the Lanchester bodywork is that the boot floor needs no welding or woodwork.  Spent a while wire brushing all the loose paint and surface rust off, rust treated the whole thing and the inner arches.

IMAG6686.thumb.jpg.e3a1fb13fcf61dc462704675c4938d36.jpg

There's a couple of very small patches to do on the inner arch and then I can paint all of this and get it reassembled finally.  I was also pleased to see the body mounts are solid and the rust on the corners of the cabin floor are incredibly localised and easy to get to for welding.  Couple more weekends and the structural bodywork should all be finished, it's been shockingly forgiving stuff really.

IMAG6685.thumb.jpg.f6f6826c12490939035ba7083bac65c5.jpg

Even though the car is in more bits than ever, it really is closer to being all sorted than it has been in decades.  I'm really looking forward to the point the paint is all dry and I can reinstall the interior and make it whole again.

6 hours ago, Alan_Green said:

112 episodes of Tales of the Unexpected available on Now TV.  Jackpot.  Just need to find The Twilight Zone now.

Having come across both on various channels recently I would say The Twilight Zone is far superior. They have both dated and are very much of their time but Tales of the Unexpected is more Tales of the Unexceptional. Still watchable though just for the background chod. 

3 hours ago, Yoss said:

Having come across both on various channels recently I would say The Twilight Zone is far superior. They have both dated and are very much of their time but Tales of the Unexpected is more Tales of the Unexceptional. Still watchable though just for the background chod. 

Don't remember much about them other than being quite impressed with Jane Asher in one of them.

For once, I've had a free uninterrupted day to get stuck into a load of computers lying around that kept getting in the way and cluttering up the house. It's felt strangely good for the soul to be able to chuck some music on (today's particular choice is live concerts that are on YouTube - Pete Tong and the Heritage Orchestra doing Ibiza classics, and the Avicii tribute concert from a few years ago), forget about the day job and other shite going on and just crack on pissing about with computers and getting the to-do list that bit shorter.

Done.

IMAG6687.thumb.jpg.8e547e659f94fdb57cfd83e1ce11dae9.jpg

Done.

IMAG6688.thumb.jpg.394af773e34402c9337da1d8d6593ec8.jpg

Done.

IMAG6689.thumb.jpg.68dcc7eb0417b24b7b32b8b352432ca0.jpg

The one bit of welding/fabrication I can't do is the outriggers, all four need repair/replacing.  They're only used as jacking points, they don't support the body, so they're not vital but I'd like them restored back to functional for the sake of completeness.

Today was a momentous day !

The aim was to take the Oxford out from the unit, to a new abode.

To do this would require 38 miles of trips through a when of SHITEHOLE towns ( Whitburn/Harthill/Holytown etc) none of which would be fun for it to expire in.

Before setting off, I elected to top up the diff oil and try to fit the new drain plug I had got for the diff (old one was leaking).

This activity was wholly bolting the stable door once horse had fucked off over the horizon ! The diff is biblically loud. But loud and lubricated was better than nowt.

To add to the futility, I had to utilize molegrips to get the fill and drain plugs out - my drain plug keys potentially existing in my imagination/another universe/ @jaypee's garage.

In the end the diff was filled and left to sit to check for leaks while we went for lunch.

after a good feed, we wanged 10l more fuel in it and set off.

The odo started off at 16.3miles, and the miles flew* by.

The car drove well, but it's still not running perfectly - some fettling on the fuelling needed. That said it kept pace with traffic and the brakes were even useful if applied in time.

Single speed wipers are adequate in drizzle, and modern tyres mean some grip, though still little in the way of feel.

A pop in to see Parents_touring meant the opportunity to get a picture of the 2 people carriers together.

signal-2023-03-12-16-16-04-385-1.thumb.jpg.6ad1010532d9df07da796c83cfb362a2.jpg

The new abode was duly reached, and 38 miles covered. That made 54 miles so 1% of the way to the 5000mile limit on this year's insurance...

signal-2023-03-12-16-16-04-385.thumb.jpg.b9e9c33a5f7aeb39e88d05e7119ea285.jpg

An old wreck, happy with his motor

IMG-20230312-WA0014.thumb.jpg.4cb4434c5a138a4916e6acc8e8ceb8ab.jpg

All in all a great success. Getting back into the 182 was like piloting a spaceship

11 minutes ago, Wack said:

1838368476_Screenshot_20230312_185906_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e5a430ca8e93c2648db93b414741203f.jpg

The only free airline locally used to be at a Sainsburys supermarket and petrol station which was on my way to work. I happened to be passing and thought I'd check my tyre pressures so got in line behind a bloke in a Zafira who was refilling all 4 tyres, he was taking fucking ages but since I was only heading for work, I was happy to wait.

Eventually, he duly drove off having finished and I pulled up to the machine, got out and went to adjust the pressure to whatever it was I needed. The machine was one of the ones which doesn't reset between uses, so it was still set to the pressure the Zafira man had set it to. 68 PSI. Sixty Eight! JFW. He'd filled all 4 tyres to 68psi, no wonder it took so long.

I can only assume to this day that he was a cyclist and used to seeing the max pressure moulded into the tyre sidewall so had taken one look at 'max 68 psi' moulded into the sidewall of the Triangle Talons or whatever and just whacked that much pressure in.

I imagine he got about half mile down the road before he ran over a tiny pebble, the tyre blew out and flipped the car into a ditch such was the release of pressure. Or he wore a 5mm strip in the very centre of the tread completely bald within 25 miles, with the rest of the contact patch utterly pristine.

These people walk among us.

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

The only free airline locally used to be at a Sainsburys supermarket and petrol station which was on my way to work. I happened to be passing and thought I'd check my tyre pressures so got in line behind a bloke in a Zafira who was refilling all 4 tyres, he was taking fucking ages but since I was only heading for work, I was happy to wait.

Eventually, he duly drove off having finished and I pulled up to the machine, got out and went to adjust the pressure to whatever it was I needed. The machine was one of the ones which doesn't reset between uses, so it was still set to the pressure the Zafira man had set it to. 68 PSI. Sixty Eight! JFW. He'd filled all 4 tyres to 68psi, no wonder it took so long.

I can only assume to this day that he was a cyclist and used to seeing the max pressure moulded into the tyre sidewall so had taken one look at 'max 68 psi' moulded into the sidewall of the Triangle Talons or whatever and just whacked that much pressure in.

I imagine he got about half mile down the road before he ran over a tiny pebble, the tyre blew out and flipped the car into a ditch such was the release of pressure. Or he wore a 5mm strip in the very centre of the tread completely bald within 25 miles, with the rest of the contact patch utterly pristine.

These people walk among us.

I'm in a few car facebook groups - VW t25s, "retro motorhomes" etc and now and again someone will ask what the recommended tyre pressures are, and absolutely without fail the first two answers will be "IT'S WRITTEN ON THE SIDE OF THE TYRE"

51 minutes ago, Wack said:

I'm not 100% sure at what point you'll be saving any money, are people actually stupid enough to fall for this crap 

Plus it looks like he's charging you £2k create spaghetti Junction 

Screenshot_20230312_194931_Facebook.thumb.jpg.448b05560e395e5919176677399072c7.jpg

Screenshot_20230312_194948_Facebook.thumb.jpg.92cf256459bd1fb93807302a98d34f51.jpg

so he cant speel where he lives and does instal mean its cheaper?

2 hours ago, 320touring said:

To do this would require 38 miles of trips through a when of SHITEHOLE towns ( Whitburn/Harthill/Holytown etc) none of which would be fun for it to expire in.

BATHGATE NO MOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!!!!!!!

A pop in to see Parents_touring meant the opportunity to get a picture of the 2 people carriers together.

did ya a get a pre emptive slap frae mutha_touring for when it weed itself on the driveway :P