What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

- The train keeps changing gear [?] outside my house, please tell him to stop

800px-Class_101s_at_Duffield.jpg

:?:

Didn't think there were still any geared trains still in service. Unless they mean the torque converter locking up on a diesel-hydraulic drive.

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't. Many of those DMU's ^ and their ilk, used the old SCG (Self Changing Gears) semi-auto 'box. Knock the power handle up a few notches in 1st, and off you go. When the torque converter locks (or peak revs happen), go up a gear, and so on. Many buses had the same system, and the same Gardner/Leyland/AEC engine choice too.

Oddly, the point of shifting to 2nd gear used to happen outside my kitchen window, quite regularly, when I lived in Burntisland: there's a bit of a climb away from the station, and if they were well loaded in the morning, there could be a perceptible second or two's lag on Scotrail's old nails, while the gear went thro'.

Which is how I came to expose myself (fully) to the passengers of the 0715 to Waverley one time. Somewhat the worse for wear after a lock-in at the Smuggler's Inn, I was struggling to get ready for work. Just out of the bath, dripping wet, trying to make tea and a bacon roll, not really focussed on getting dressed yet...you get the picture.

I can only imagine the driver expected to see my other half in that state, which would have been an infintely more pleasant sight...!

Oh, and the partworks thing: I laughed too. Mostly because I used to man the desk in a newsagents. In all the time I worked there, only two people ever completed one. One was the Complete John Wayne - a snip at around £500, the other a plane arium which came out at around £440. Most folk gave up around issue 7/8. And the back issues are a bastard to get from wholesalers. I know - I tried!

Dunno what brings it to mind, but recently I was out helping a mate with his shopping. He had a few biggish items to get, and as a wheelchair user he needed some help. So we were in Tesco, me pushing the wheelchair, when WHAM! Some ould biddy about 90 years old bashes me in the hip with her trolley. Bloody hurt. Quick as a flash my mate says "For fuck's sake missus, it's bad enough ONE of us being disabled!" :D

My lad was at college yesterday and happened to notice some kids in the next room along all looking out of the window with mobile phones in their hands. Two minutes later one of their number came tear arsing into the carpark practising his SICK DRIFTING SKILLZ and promptly crashed into a wall. My lad said it was fucking hysterical but the tutors were slightly less than amused.

Wooohooo :mrgreen: Sold the pain in the arse money pit of a Corsa today. Good riddance you verminous retchid pile of crap. I only had you a month and you caused a problen every trip.

Wooohooo :mrgreen: Sold the pain in the arse money pit of a Corsa today. Good riddance you verminous retched pile of crap. I only had you a month and you caused a problen every trip.

A Vauxhall, causing problems? There's a surprise ;) Corsas really do blow donkey cock.

Grin of the day for me was the chap near work reorganising his collection of random tat. Three or four Rascal Pick-ups, a Testarossa, a Corniche Convertible and an immaculate Foden. The Foden rocketh mightily. It's this one.

2166688509_74e14e27b0_z.jpg?zz=1

A Vauxhall, causing problems? There's a surprise ;) Corsas really do blow donkey cock.

This one did - but I have had a few others petrol and diesel and they were great. 2 Of the most troublesome cars I have had in recent years were Vauxhalls. This T reg sxi corsa and an R reg td Astra. :x

Worked two twelve hour night shifts. Evidently they were desperate as they agreed to let my holiday stand for the two days (I was meant to be off all week) and pay double time for the hours worked. That to my mind means close on triple time. Shit job, it was auditing stockrooms but we had an ace team in so we were pretty much done on the first night. Second night, I was told that I had to be there so I sat there reading forums, spreading rumours, ordering pizza on the company card and listening to very lewd, very detailed information about most of the girls that work there.

Those Libyan rebels. Yes I know it's a serious situation but there is a Dad's Army element to them. On the news this morning I watched a pickup being damaged by the backblast of the MLRS they had nailed to the bed and a Chevrolet Lacetti being used as a combat vehicle.

When the world collapses due to climate change/banker's bonuses/public sector cuts/illegal immigrants I feel an Autoshite Militia could have a very similar vibe going on

My Mrs sent me this link to my phone just now. Weird, as she is upstairs....

Fuggin loved this advert.When it was originally on, I had just got my first Mk4 XR3i

Years later, and I loved this one too, genius. Done for real in several aircraft hangars I am led to believe:

I think the one on the right is playing Martha. Arthur looks a fair bit happier.

Today I've re-enacted the long forgotten art of drinking in the day time. Saturday night is usually my thing but seven or eight pints this afternoon in some good company was most enjoyable.

I spent a very enjoyable day with Conor dissecting the former Mongolian rally capri. We have decided that we will be fixing it :) using the remains of his mk2 for spare parts *the shell has suffered a LOT from being outside with no running gear for 2 years... The fluorescent bonnet and boot (plastic) have already been changed for metal ones, con spent all day clearing out the interior and is very enthusiastic about the whole thing.

Saw some old pictures of my work place today and this one made my day. My first attempt at scanning so hopefully it's come out o.k...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatwork.jpg

I went to Halfords today to get an 8mm ratchet spanner and, being a die hard tight wad, I naturally baulked at the £10.99 they wanted for it. But I needed it today and couldn't be arsed shopping around to save £2 or whatever. Then I noticed a stack of these by the till

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165572

So that's £5 per spanner instead :D Get 'em while they're hot!