What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Episode 1 series 1 of The Sweeney was on ITV4 earlier which cheered me up, loads of Bedford CAs and grim looking south London suburbs, lovely stuff!

By chance I watched that, didn’t realise it was the first one. It was great! Brian Blessed didn’t shout too much either, good to see ‘Dot Cotton’ in it too - always fun to spot the Eastenders/Bill/Casualty actors-to-be.

This morning, driving my Laurel (itself grinworthy) and seeing a Y-reg Rialto, H-reg Mini (both suffix plates, no prefix nonsense) and a minty Capri 2.8i. I look forward to the good weather bringing more old crocks out into regular use.

Firstly, watching the young assistant jacking the 2CV up to check the rear suspension for the MOT. Runs out of lift and has to get more blocks of wood. Happens every year, but always makes me chuckle. Foolish I know. Then a swallow flew into the workshop - undercover for VOSA? Certainly kept an eye on things.

Then, I get my MOT pass. Chap says there's plenty of work for me to do, but not surprising given the fact it's covered 83,000 miles. "Er, that's its second time around the clock mate!" He grinned too.

Nice one Dolly. I once had much amusement when the Herald was jacked up by the yoof memebr of staff at a tyre shop. He thought he'd broken the rear suspension!

I'm happy now 'cos I've lowered my car a little bit more (hears collective Autoshite groan) but for free with the original stiffer leaf springs than those that have been on it for the last year.

Had another month added to my contract. Although to be honest I'm not celebrating that much, since they told another group they would be there until the summer then called them into the office to say "we've run out of work, you can either leave at lunchtime or at the end of the day"

Just snagged this at a much lower price than anticipated.

Been wanting one (or at least the amp, rather than a tuner) for years and managed to miss any amount over the past couple of years.

Want to match it with my Sonab 75S turntable, bought in 1971 :) and bung in the dining room.

Be nice to add a pair of OA6 or )A8 speakers but that isn't too likely to happen.

Should really get a SAAB to go with them.

Being given 5 busted laptops, and making 3 working ones out of them. One of them is a 286/12 with a whopping 1MB RAM, and no hard drive - LAPTOPSHITE!

The 286 is also the same weight as a 6 cylinder Landcrab.

I didn't think people still used DOS programs, crt monitors or trackball mice - until I started my current job

I'll raise you a multinational company relying on tape backups and as400 shit.

On the plus side, it keeps a whole bunch of us in a job as all the manuals have disappeared and the cryptic keystrokes needed to work the things have no bearing on common sense.

I work for a council and we use some right old antique software, I like it though - it's from the days where someone would just scratch-write a program to suit the specific needs of a place instead of just trying to make do with some one-fits-all solution from some tosspot outsourcing company - we've gone backwards in that respect. I spend most of the day using legacy systems on an emulator which are mostly from the very early 80s. I like the sense of humour in some of the messages, in one of the programs if you type the wrong thing it'll tell you "Don't be silly" and suchlike.

, in one of the programs if you type the wrong thing it'll tell you "Don't be silly" and suchlike.

A friend of my sister's used to write software for Boots, just in-house problem-solving stuff. He'd always throw in odd error messages like "Situation Mauve: The giraffe is back" and "DON'T MOVE! They're behind the water cooler...." - except he'd keep a list of each error in each application, so when someone phoned him on the helpdesk saying "Erm, MergeForms v1.3 keeps telling me to stroke the clouds with my wand of glee" he'd know that in fact, it was a file input format error and could assist appropriately.

Keeps you in a job I suppose!

I once got marked down on a college programming assignment for writing an error message that included the word "Dickhead".

, in one of the programs if you type the wrong thing it'll tell you "Don't be silly" and suchlike.

A friend of my sister's used to write software for Boots, just in-house problem-solving stuff. He'd always throw in odd error messages like "Situation Mauve: The giraffe is back" and "DON'T MOVE! They're behind the water cooler...." - except he'd keep a list of each error in each application, so when someone phoned him on the helpdesk saying "Erm, MergeForms v1.3 keeps telling me to stroke the clouds with my wand of glee" he'd know that in fact, it was a file input format error and could assist appropriately.

Keeps you in a job I suppose!

I once got marked down on a college programming assignment for writing an error message that included the word "Dickhead".

Happy days - I used to work for Renault UK aeons ago ( clue the Renner 14 had just come out when I joined ) - All our programmes written for the IBM Mainframe had french explanations which we were warned not to change on pain of death in case a froggy bigwig came over from Paris to change something.

Of course we did - data misfeed became "Machine he go bongo-bongo" or "Fonz he say BLAAAAHH!" ( Fonz was big on Happy Days at the time). "Mr Shipleys result equals a starfish of chocolate" (Mr Shipley being entirely made up) was a favorite.

We never got found out and I just pray some French boss got to see it...

Spent the last two days on a route I don't normally do, spotted some superb shite; a B-reg Rover SD1, an F-reg Cavalier Calibre, a locally registered BMC 1100 of sorts... and an Alvis TE21 :shock:

Wow! The TE21 - saloon or convertible? The saloons are really nice.