The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I've ordered a secondhand front leg for the Laguna - it was only £2 more than the cheapest new strut top mounting I could find, and if it saves buggering around with spring clamps and the top strut nut then it's £2 well spent in my book.  I'm now just hoping that everything comes undone easily and that there aren't any rinkydinks to getting the strut out (it looks like a fairly straightforward setup to be fair).  The bottom ball joint nut could be a pain though - no clearance to get a ratchet in as the CV joint is in the way so I'm going to have to hope I can get it undone with a spanner.

I've repaired (or at least I think I have) my 12 volt ugga dugga gun, so once my shiny new Irwin knock-offs arrive I'm going to try it on the recalcitrant bolts on the 75 to see if it can shock them into undoing.  Otherwise it's bottom arm off, which is not going to be fun.  HBOL says "Remove the anti-roll bar mounting bracket - the retaining bolts are difficult to get to but this must be removed in order to gain access to the rear bottom arm nut".  Or words to that effect.  They weren't kidding - it's impossible to get anything vaguely resembling proper tools on the front bolt, although the rear one is just about gettable with a shortish 10mm spanner.  That's going to be fun if I have to go down that route.

5 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I've ordered a secondhand front leg for the Laguna - it was only £2 more than the cheapest new strut top mounting I could find, and if it saves buggering around with spring clamps and the top strut nut then it's £2 well spent in my book.  I'm now just hoping that everything comes undone easily and that there aren't any rinkydinks to getting the strut out (it looks like a fairly straightforward setup to be fair).  The bottom ball joint nut could be a pain though - no clearance to get a ratchet in as the CV joint is in the way so I'm going to have to hope I can get it undone with a spanner.

I've repaired (or at least I think I have) my 12 volt ugga dugga gun, so once my shiny new Irwin knock-offs arrive I'm going to try it on the recalcitrant bolts on the 75 to see if it can shock them into undoing.  Otherwise it's bottom arm off, which is not going to be fun.  HBOL says "Remove the anti-roll bar mounting bracket - the retaining bolts are difficult to get to but this must be removed in order to gain access to the rear bottom arm nut".  Or words to that effect.  They weren't kidding - it's impossible to get anything vaguely resembling proper tools on the front bolt, although the rear one is just about gettable with a shortish 10mm spanner.  That's going to be fun if I have to go down that route.

I have a horrible feeling the pinch bolt has rusted seized into the hub based on what you describe, and an impact may snap it off. 

If you had access to oxyacetylene to get it cherry red, you've a better chance of it not snapping and being a ballache. 

If it snaps flush in the hub, I wouldn't like to think how you'd get it out 

Lower arm sounds like a bastard

I wouldn't expect this nonsense out of a Rover!

Hopefully an impact will break the rust and the bite sockets grab onto it

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I have a horrible feeling the pinch bolt has rusted seized into the hub based on what you describe, and an impact may snap it off. 

It's a fairly chunky bolt, I don't think my little gun makes enough ugga duggas to snap it.  We shall see.  I've saturated it with penetrating spray but on a horizontal bolt there's going to be a limit to how far it can seep into the threads.

35 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's a fairly chunky bolt, I don't think my little gun makes enough ugga duggas to snap it.  We shall see.  I've saturated it with penetrating spray but on a horizontal bolt there's going to be a limit to how far it can seep into the threads.

That's good, have to keep everything crossed! (Apart from the threads...!)

Some discussion has been had, and it looks like I'm getting the Civic Coupe to replace my silver hatchback, because it's just a nicer, more desirable car and a better thing to keep. Nicer colour, +17bhp, just as practical, etc. Yes it's an auto, but oh well. The silver one is better for nabbing bits off as it's only just above average for condition. It'll probably get put back to standard and sold, it'll make a good donor shell (I think that's all it's ever been really). 

The coupe does need a bit of bodywork, but it's getting done, both cars are on almost the same mileage, and the coupe is better equipped (CD changer!). Also, it turns out that cambelt kit in the boot was something of a gift:

IMG_20220316_122400_862.thumb.jpg.1d65cf713f4942649e9c88850035cc16.jpgIMG_20220316_122417_090.thumb.jpg.1c248f07663d454117437d48290b2ee8.jpgIMG_20220316_122411_213.thumb.jpg.4e57c924b8586ad490ef6385500546a8.jpg

It's already had a belt! 

The trailing arm bushes have been replaced in the past, the brakes have seen care too - someone was really bothered about this car, it seems. Pretty good for no history. 

PXL_20220315_140836502.thumb.jpg.3eec5d47ff797d869b5bf972e198d2ec.jpg

Bilt Hamber Dynax going on. 

It'll be getting my lowering springs from the hatch put on, as the dampers need to come out anyway, and I want to keep them, they have less than 1000 miles on them. It's gonna be a nice car. 

8 hours ago, barefoot said:

Susie* is back on top form. Tracking & carburettor issues have been resolved for a while. All is good with (this part of) the world.

DSCN6735.thumb.JPG.652a9351e2abed53507d7b444f4474a3.JPG

* what an utter twat

Such good news about SUSIE

But seriously, good to hear you got through the issues.

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

Some discussion has been had, and it looks like I'm getting the Civic Coupe to replace my silver hatchback, because it's just a nicer, more desirable car and a better thing to keep. Nicer colour, +17bhp, just as practical, etc. Yes it's an auto, but oh well. The silver one is better for nabbing bits off as it's only just above average for condition. It'll probably get put back to standard and sold, it'll make a good donor shell (I think that's all it's ever been really). 

The coupe does need a bit of bodywork, but it's getting done, both cars are on almost the same mileage, and the coupe is better equipped (CD changer!). Also, it turns out that cambelt kit in the boot was something of a gift:

IMG_20220316_122400_862.thumb.jpg.1d65cf713f4942649e9c88850035cc16.jpgIMG_20220316_122417_090.thumb.jpg.1c248f07663d454117437d48290b2ee8.jpgIMG_20220316_122411_213.thumb.jpg.4e57c924b8586ad490ef6385500546a8.jpg

It's already had a belt! 

The trailing arm bushes have been replaced in the past, the brakes have seen care too - someone was really bothered about this car, it seems. Pretty good for no history. 

PXL_20220315_140836502.thumb.jpg.3eec5d47ff797d869b5bf972e198d2ec.jpg

Bilt Hamber Dynax going on. 

It'll be getting my lowering springs from the hatch put on, as the dampers need to come out anyway, and I want to keep them, they have less than 1000 miles on them. It's gonna be a nice car. 

Nice one! With the -SN identifier, good to see the dynax being pumped in to negate the famou scotch winters of it’s earlier life. (Think -sn is Scotland @320touring?)

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Nice one! With the -SN identifier, good to see the dynax being pumped in to negate the famou scotch winters of it’s earlier life. (Think -sn is Scotland @320touring?)

Yep, Scottish car. I bought it from my mate who lives in Carnoustie, and I think it's been up there its whole life. 

8 hours ago, barefoot said:

There's an interesting little garage called ShenPar just down the road from me in Melbourne, Derbys. Nick Parkinson is a belter. As I've mentioned elsewhere he used to set up baby 954cc Citroen AX's to run on a brace of Weber 45's or a set of 4 motorcycle carbs. His son races go-karts, he likes Peugeot/Renner French stuff and the bloke he works with seems to spend all of his time taking Audi RS6 to bits.

1855082064_Screenshot2022-03-16at12_02_23.thumb.png.db82931428b1780d68d9f52f4a04842a.png

Cheers for the recommendation! I'll give them a bell.

I'm thinking about doing something that can be either stupid or sensible. Very much shite. If it actually happens the Mazda 626 will have to go, which is not ideal as I feel I'm not done with it yet. I would not be able to keep both what I'm taking a look tomorrow and the 626... I guess I'll report what happen anyway even if I don't end up buying another car.

Driving to work this morning and I hear a squeaking/clunking/dragging noise, which continues. Now I'm sitting here thinking the worst and wondering exactly what I'll be trying to fix at 10pm tonight. 

Pull over and it's just an arch liner that's dropped and rubbing against the wheel. Phew.

Not car related but maybe of some interest

I visited Bolton for first time in many years at weekend. I studied there in late 90s/early 2000s

the old student accommodation was close to Fred Dibnah's house and you used to be able to see his workshop and yard through the fence. Fred would often invite curious students he caught peeping through the fence in for a look around his workshop but sadly I was never so lucky

It seems the house became some kind of heritage museum for a while but that failed years ago and all the steam stuff was sold off

Was interested to see what state it was in now. Was very surprised to see a sign for a burger/coffee van in his yard.  I couldn't really work out what the deal is now but the workshop now seems to be some kind of back street garage, with all the garden/patio now full of dodgy looking old tat.  However the house was open and nobody seemed to mind me wandered around. So I did

The mineshaft was still there but now covered over.  Was sad to see it in this state but nice to have a look in.  

20220314_145637.jpg

20220314_145727.jpg

20220314_145633.jpg

20220314_145517.jpg

20220314_145332.jpg

20220314_145108.jpg

20220314_144901.jpg

20220314_144952.jpg

20 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Don't poke the sills, subframes or anything else structural too hard then.

It did have a cursory coating of cornflakes, and we have found a small hole in one sill, but it's all surprisingly solid!

420 disgraced itself at today's MOT. Running perfectly, ragged the arse off it to heat the cat up, dropped it off. Phone call 10 mins later - battery completely dead. OK, price me up a replacement. Rings back - suppliers wanted to check the battery type, tester opens bonnet, tries car, starts first time. MOT slot missed, now rebooked for Tuesday. PITA, as had taken day off today.

Old cars - love 'em

2 hours ago, wesacosa said:

I visited Bolton for first time in many years at weekend. I studied there in late 90s/early 2000s

the old student accommodation was close to Fred Dibnah's house and you used to be able to see his workshop and yard through the fence. Fred would often invite curious students he caught peeping through the fence in for a look around his workshop but sadly I was never so lucky

It seems the house became some kind of heritage museum for a while but that failed years ago and all the steam stuff was sold off

Was interested to see what state it was in now. Was very surprised to see a sign for a burger/coffee van in his yard.  I couldn't really work out what the deal is now but the workshop now seems to be some kind of back street garage, with all the garden/patio now full of dodgy looking old tat.  However the house was open and nobody seemed to mind me wandered around. So I did

The mineshaft was still there but now covered over.  Was sad to see it in this state but nice to have a look in.  

20220314_145637.jpg

20220314_145727.jpg

20220314_145633.jpg

20220314_145517.jpg

20220314_145332.jpg

20220314_145108.jpg

20220314_144901.jpg

20220314_144952.jpg

They are currently repeating some of his programmes on BBC 4, there was one on last night. This one was filmed after his death, talking to people he knew, including an ex wife, and showing clips of many of his adventures. He may* have been a bit* of a nightmare to live with as his steam and engineering interests took precedence over everything else but a fascinating bloke and no doubt a lot of our heritage is still here because of him. And all his programmes are so watchable. 

2 minutes ago, Yoss said:

They are currently repeating some of his programmes on BBC 4, there was one on last night. This one was filmed after his death, talking to people he knew, including an ex wife, and showing clips of many of his adventures. He may* have been a bit* of a nightmare to live with as his steam and engineering interests took precedence over everything else but a fascinating bloke and no doubt a lot of our heritage is still here because of him. And all his programmes are so watchable. 

I wouldn't mind rewatching the original fly on the wall stuff about him from the 80s but those rarely seem to be shown now

6 hours ago, wesacosa said:

20220314_145637.jpg

20220314_145727.jpg

20220314_145633.jpg

20220314_145517.jpg

20220314_145332.jpg

20220314_145108.jpg

20220314_144901.jpg

20220314_144952.jpg

As @Yoss said, he's sorely missed. What I liked most was the fact he was so 'anti-TV' - not a looker, not polished in the art of presenting, thick Lancs accent etc. But his enthusiasm shone through and got you engaged with whatever he was talking about. 

The only other possible comparison I can think of is Hairy Bikers, again not photogenic but I like their style. 

Can you imagine living next door to Dibnah though - late-night steam engines and mining, lovely!

1 minute ago, grogee said:

As @Yoss said, he's sorely missed. What I liked most was the fact he was so 'anti-TV' - not a looker, not polished in the art of presenting, thick Lancs accent etc. But his enthusiasm shone through and got you engaged with whatever he was talking about. 

The only other possible comparison I can think of is Hairy Bikers, again not photogenic but I like their style. 

Can you imagine living next door to Dibnah though - late-night steam engines and mining, lovely!

luckily for his neighbours his house is a very odd design. the second floor is at road level but the ground floor, garden, yard, mine and workshop are set down a level from the road and surrounded by only grass and river. 

8 hours ago, wesacosa said:

20220314_145637.jpg

20220314_145727.jpg

20220314_145633.jpg

20220314_145517.jpg

20220314_145332.jpg

20220314_145108.jpg

20220314_144901.jpg

20220314_144952.jpg

who owns it all nowadays?

9 minutes ago, stuboy said:

nothing exciting today.. i washed all that bloody sand off from the sahara desert.. .. but im in kent.

Luckily it rained very heavily here yesterday afternoon and washed the red mud off the car. Incredible really - the sky was dusky orange all morning.

55 minutes ago, stuboy said:

who owns it all nowadays?

that's all pretty unclear. It sold in early 2021 . There was a desk inside with some car paraphilia so I think the people who turned the workshop into a car repair place must own it . The previous owner (who ran it as a heritage center) tried unsuccessfully to sell it as a going concern for years so ended up selling all the good stuff at auction and then the house off separately.  The lady in the cafe hut in Garden said there was some kind of festival in the grounds this coming weekend for over 1000 people so god only knows whats going on with it