The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Lovely pictures.
Can I ask where you find out about these little shows ? [mention=18217]brownnova[/mention]
[mention=29327]Leyland Worldmaster[/mention]
[mention=20071]SiC[/mention]
Most events seem to be announced on Facebook. I happened to be scrolling through last night and saw the local one I went to mentioned.

I went to have a look at the taped in proximity sensor for the airbag on the drivers seat of the Saab. The airbag light is on so the connector needs soldered. 

The seat was removed by a trimmer to refurbish the seat for the previous owner. The trimmer wants their cunt punching in. They ripped out the wiring for said sensor, no big deal and as its separate from the rest of the seat loom it's easily done, accidents happen.

They butchered the inside torx screw holding the seat in, again, it doesn't need to come out so so biggie.

But I did wonder why my seat felt a bit loose when leaning back:

20220320_180353.thumb.jpg.27b763f4189811cd19b8d525e5a3e017.jpg

6 hours ago, brownnova said:

Looks like the day for a car meet! Today I went to Off the Rails at Crewe heritage railway centre. Nice mix of stuff… pic dump in 3…2…1… 

ABF5D6D3-C879-4BA0-88B5-211725F27181.jpeg

That looked like a petty recent meeting! I think the Rialto owner lives somewhere near me as I'm always seeing him, although you get to hear him before his Reliant hoons into view!. I think this is at least his second black 3 wheeler as I saw an identical one badly damaged on the back of a transit beavertail, it looked like it had rolled multiple times. A few weeks later and I saw him out and about in another black Rialto- presumably this one!

9 hours ago, High Jetter said:

There are better photos and some videos here if anyone is interested: https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/sussex-news/live-a27-sussex-abnormal-lorry-6832868

They arrived at the destination, via a narrow lane. Just one swing onto site, after twice the predicted time en-route. Helpfully*, a dog walker left his van, in the turning area for the entrance. All credit to the Allelys crews.

Not a particularly productive day today.  Went out to the Rover to see what would happen - it actually fired pretty much straight up but it obviously wasn't happy, farting, chugging and revving up and down - it actually cut out several times.  Plugging the laptop in again brought up five fault codes, up from two yesterday.

Investigation of the scuttle situation showed that the water had pretty much all drained away, apart from a dribble right in the nearside corner which was stuck due to the car being down on that side because broken spring.  However disconnecting the battery and then unplugging the connectors in the top of the ECU revealed that the connecters were full of water.  That's probably not a good thing.  So I lifted the ECU out and propped it up on a couple of boxes above the radiator to dry out.  Once it was more or less dry I blasted all the connections with contact cleaner and then set it to dry out again.  Tomorrow lunchtime (or whenever I get time) I'll refit it and see if drying it out has cured the problems - if not I'm going to have to send it away to be repaired, which is an expense I could do without.

I had a tinker with the Volvo, checking a few bits that could have been making it run properly, then I took it for a trundle up the road.  I got stuck behind a couple of cyclists on the way up the road, but once I'd U-turned at the top and put my foot down to drive back down to the car park the car took off faster than it's done in years, and for the first time it actually revved high enough to change up into second without me having to come off the throttle (the BW35 does like to hold the gears when it's cold).  It was running great, for about 200 yards - then it spluttered and died.  I assumed it'd run out of petrol so I tipped in a can that I had in the back of the Toyota, but although it fired straight back up it was running like a bag of shit, it wouldn't idle and it'd cut out as soon as any load was put on it.  I managed, after several restarts, to nurse it back to the car park where I dumped it back in its spot.  I have no idea what's gone wrong with it now - the only thing I can think is that when I took the air filter out I might have dislodged a bit of crap in the housing which found its way into one of the carbs. 

I've got a week's holiday coming up and it looks like I'm going to have to spend all of it buggering about with cars - the Volvo needs to be got running properly, the Rover needs the spring doing which is probably going to involve dismantling half the front end, the Mazda needs the rear wheel bearings sorting properly and ideally a new rear silencer, the Mobylette needs a good going over and new switches wiring in (which means I have to try and remember how I wired in the old ones 25 years ago...), the Renault 6 needs extricating from the garage and the Innocenti also needs a good going over following its winter slumber - although that did at least fire up OK this afternoon and seems to be running as well as ever, but a couple of the dashboard warning lights have packed up so I'm going to have to take the clocks out again.  Then it'll be time to bite the bullet and book it in for its first MOT in years...

6 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Yes, and I thoroughly enjoyed my ride out in it too! 😎😎😎🤩🤩🤩

Lucky bastard! That’s my absolute favourite Mini.

In fact, I decree it to be the best Mini of all time. My opinion on this point will not be changed and I accept no substitutes.

18 hours ago, High Jetter said:

There are better photos and some videos here if anyone is interested: https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/sussex-news/live-a27-sussex-abnormal-lorry-6832868

I felt sorry for the guys shifting this - and the end of the long second day (it was only supposed to be one day) they got up the narrow lane to the destination but couldn't get the swing in as a dog-walker had left their van right in the wrong place!

Have just seen a very unusual BMW 6 series ( Y reg I think it was, 1981?).  Odd, solid alloy wheels and a very strange body kit that ended with a steeply sloping bootlid and reduced window glass area.

Will try and find pics - the number plate said 4* classics.

Found it!

Top Unique Modified Versions of BMW 8-Series (830i, 850CSi, M8 & more) | BMW  Links

635csi observer coupe 1982

The Original BMW "M3" – 1982 BMW 635CSi Observer Coupé - The Truth About Cars

Made with a hacksaw!

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Have just seen a very unusual BMW 6 series ( Y reg I think it was, 1981?).  Odd, solid alloy wheels and a very strange body kit that ended with a steeply sloping bootlid and reduced window glass area.

Will try and find pics - the number plate said 4* classics.

Found it!

Top Unique Modified Versions of BMW 8-Series (830i, 850CSi, M8 & more) | BMW  Links

635csi observer coupe 1982

The Original BMW "M3" – 1982 BMW 635CSi Observer Coupé - The Truth About Cars

Made with a hacksaw!

Nice to see hand tools and craftsmen being used. 

But... This looks like an awful lot of effort for a 635CSi with a slightly different sunroof. 

I would love to know how Observer got involved with this, and what became of MGA.

You know that thing where a mate says they need a car, so you jokingly offer to sell them one of yours expecting them to turn you down, but they actually want to buy it. Looks as if the Merc might be departing a little sooner than expected!

Pleased that I’m helping a friend… slightly gutted that I won’t be making a profit on this one as I had hoped.