The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The Civic keeps pinging up auto stop warnings and disabling the system. It's warning message is a picture of a battery, so presumably it upset that it's going a bit weak.

So bought a (apparently not) quality Yuasa and chucked it in. Being a Honda, it was fuss free job. They don't even need any coding or the like to notify the systems it's a new battery. Wish the German cars were like that.

PXL_20220119_204248925.thumb.jpg.be99c319cd5e3517f37ab2afe462c758.jpg

Annoying that I had to do it, but the warranty isn't likely to cover it as it's a consumable. Going back to the dealer will cost more in fuel than this battery.

Also got the tracking realigned so it drives straight. I picked this up on the test drive but forgot to mention when I got back. Again could argue but CBA. Cost £48 from a local tyre place.

No matter how much you spend on a car, they always seem to need something just after buying. Even if it's just new wiper blades.

Ironically I think the Fabia is the car that has had the least needed since buying, despite it being the cheapest. £20 in oil+filter and a £4 car aerial.

3 minutes ago, SiC said:

Ironically I think the Fabia is the car that has had the least needed since buying, despite it being the cheapest. £20 in oil+filter and a £4 car aerial.

They're not the worst, cost for most parts is pretty reasonable too. My air filter was only £4.65 or there abouts. I'd buy another one, probably.

4 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

They're not the worst, cost for most parts is pretty reasonable too. My air filter was only £4.65 or there abouts. I'd buy another one, probably.

Actually that figure wasn't entirely correct. I put a new pollen filter (fiver) and drop link (£20 iirc) on it shortly buying it too. 

Fabia isn't anywhere near exciting enough for me to buy another. Plus I try to never buy the same model + generation twice of a car.

Pretty much every car I buy, the first thing I change is the pollen filter. Many garages don't bother changing them. Apart from putting extra strain on the blower motor, they also go stinky. Especially smelling a lot like the last owner.

The Civic filter was pretty filthy. I remember when I last got a dealer service at a Honda garage, they wanted £80 to change one of these on the 7th and 8th gen Civic. 

PXL_20220111_154311933.thumb.jpg.d65c5cc00a79f01bbe823ab6c3253332.jpg

9 minutes ago, SiC said:

Pretty much every car I buy, the first thing I change is the pollen filter. Many garages don't bother changing them. Apart from putting extra strain on the blower motor, they also go stinky. Especially smelling a lot like the last owner.

I had mine out to check, it's not bad but I'm planning to do the "big service" since it'll be hitting 60k soon. :)

Norfolk Police have just advertised a vacancy for a trainee crime scene investigator.

Id bloody love to do something like that as awful as it sometimes must be.  My problem is that I shoot myself in the foot with self doubt so think what’s the point in the effort of applying as il never stand a chance. 

Perhaps I’ll talk myself into at least applying tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Norfolk Police have just advertised a vacancy for a trainee crime scene investigator.

Id bloody love to do something like that as awful as it sometimes must be.  My problem is that I shoot myself in the foot with self doubt so think what’s the point in the effort of applying as il never stand a chance. 

Give me a PM mate if you’d like any advice/help regarding the application process. Don’t doubt yourself! More than happy to talk through what they will be looking to ask you etc and how to present yourself in the Police interview setting

56 minutes ago, SiC said:

Actually that figure wasn't entirely correct. I put a new pollen filter (fiver) and drop link (£20 iirc) on it shortly buying it too. 

Fabia isn't anywhere near exciting enough for me to buy another. Plus I try to never buy the same model + generation twice of a car.

The Civic filter was pretty filthy. I remember when I last got a dealer service at a Honda garage, they wanted £80 to change one of these on the 7th and 8th gen Civic. 

PXL_20220111_154311933.thumb.jpg.d65c5cc00a79f01bbe823ab6c3253332.jpg

I’ve had my car since new in 2004. I changed the garage where I get it serviced this year , and found out, it actually has a pollen filter. It had never been done , and doesn’t actually appear on the service schedule. It was completely black and the Natural History Museum are interested in the bugs collected in it.

I've had a look into the steering slop in my Carina, and there's an unholy amount of slop in the bottom universal joint in the steering column. I've had a look and the centre part of the universal joint is available for sale but I'm not sure how the joint itself actually comes apart.

6 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

You'll never know unless you apply. 

You need to "Beware the Negative Internal Dialogue" 

Every time you give yourself an excuse write it down and then write down as many reasons why that particular excuse isn't true. 

Why won't you stand a chance?  You meet all the basic criteria. All you have to do is present the very best Application you can, which shows how with the right training, you will have a bright future in thier organisation. 

And you have friends that can help you with that.  There are people on here who would be happy to review your application, privately if you prefer. Some who may have experience of recruiting in the public sector. 

A number plate LIGHT stopped working on my GTC, and eventually I got around to having a look. 15 seconds. To get it out, remove the bulb and put it back ready to buy a bulb. 

Yesterday I attempted to do the reverse with my new bulb. 

Took me the best part of 30 mins.  Somehow, when I pushed it back into place I pushed the little plastic clip into a place where it shouldn't be. 

Once I got the unit out, I couldn't get the bayonet fitting out of the holder either. That shoukd take 5 seconds. Eventually I managed to prise it all apart. Once apart, it took 15 seconds to put the bulb in, and get it all back into the position. 

Grrrrrr

7 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I’ve had my car since new in 2004. I changed the garage where I get it serviced this year , and found out, it actually has a pollen filter. It had never been done , and doesn’t actually appear on the service schedule. It was completely black and the Natural History Museum are interested in the bugs collected in it.

You're not alone in that one. We didn't know the Fiat had one until we parted with it in 2020. We'd had it 12 years from new at that point. Haha.

31 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Took the Scirocco to be tracked up yesterday. This morning I have 2 turns of the steering wheel to the left, but only one & a half to the right as I discovered when driving into next door's hedge.

I remember changing the track rod ends in my silver laguna. Job went well, and the test drive was too. Until I went to turn around, put some hard lock on and a big scary grinding noise happened... Shit

Limped home, I'd put the track rod ends on the wrong way round and the 'cup' of the arm had taken the leading edge and all the wheel weights off the left hand wheel... (as I'd turned that way...) rather than staying well out of the way as it usually does

Had to get all the tools back out, swap them round Then go get the balancing done again on the wheels a week or so later as it caused them to be shit 😂 (needed tracking anyway as I'd done the inner arms too) 

I've not built a cake in a while. Build sheets confirm the most recent to be around April last year! 

Anyhoo, my standard Winter Cake is the Series 102. This prototype is the first with fruit soaked in Single Malt of some description. It was also Heat Treated in a new oven. 

After testing early this morning- late listening session and beginning of Long Weekend- I am still alive; haven't got the shits and it went well with a drop of Tomintoul. 

🤓

DSC_9617.JPG

DSC_9614.JPG

11 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Go for it.

Waved goodbye to the MG6 today- the gearbox had finally given up the ghost and was beyond economic repair really. Shame as when it worked, it was quite a decent drive really.

I've had to get a modern, mainly for reliability but also to cart my aged father in law about, so I've ended up with a 2016 fiat 500X 1.4 multiair turbo (I know, fiats and reliability...,)

Surprisingly likable for an SUV job... So far!

PXL_20220120_143207054.thumb.jpg.67c50815bc716f9619bcca7801719714.jpg

I walk a lot in the woods but in winter this is difficult and impossible with all the snow. So I finally bought myself snowshoes and was on my first trip with these today and it's amazing. For those of you who do not know, snowshoes are something that attaches to the shoes and allows you to walk on top of the snow. So one does not sink into the snow.

20220120_115722.thumb.jpg.7c7fe6cca838f3709b24a924d2965606.jpg

20220120_115728.thumb.jpg.507db211e0b141f335c89faffb2e1e50.jpg20220120_115732.thumb.jpg.93245d4cf2835ac01cbeb24b2b7f0caf.jpg

Been to this place for an ABS pump rebuild today: 

PXL_20220120_104713412.thumb.jpg.f0b211805680afe88cc702637f1cab17.jpg

It's in a sleepy little village called Uffculme, the local cafe is proud of their toilet:

PXL_20220120_122740204.thumb.jpg.ec6505454d0f0e70b6e274cacc4f4955.jpg

PXL_20220120_111600353.thumb.jpg.00700aee2011a2b72dce7c110c72a2d1.jpg

PXL_20220120_114802803.thumb.jpg.eb49cfc09af2d1d7bd36a055741cb061.jpg

Ran the tank of E10 fuel down and tried some Momentum 99 E5 and MPG improved noticeably, if I can continue to average 40+ mpg in a 2.0 Pez I'll be happy! 

PXL_20220120_163556865.thumb.jpg.3c179e7e9581b1bb2719e10b61073790.jpg

19 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Norfolk Police have just advertised a vacancy for a trainee to take photos of dead people in all kinds of states of disrepair.

I worked with a bloke who did that line of work for a while.

He's a carpenter now. He has some interesting stories.

He decided to stop when his Mrs rang him and he was in the process of a situation most of us would consider quite odd but, he didn't see how strange it was, to be in the company of a dead person, in the middle of the woods at 3:00AM. 

I wouldn't fancy it.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Foxhake said:

I worked with a bloke who did that line of work for a while.

He's a carpenter now. He has some interesting stories.

He decided to stop when his Mrs rang him and he was in the process of a situation most of us would consider quite odd but, he didn't see how strange it was, to be in the company of a dead person, in the middle of the woods at 3:00AM. 

I wouldn't fancy it.

See that doesn’t phase me at all, I wouldn’t say I’m completely immune to the morbid but the interesting side of it would overrule having to be in the presence of the awful stuff. I don’t know if I could bring myself to deal with the crime scene cleaning side of it so much, but the investigation side of it is right up my street. 

Im going to at least apply for it, confidence boost was seeing the job shared to a local town Facebook group and seeing all the huns replying “any good for you Debs xx” type responses. They must get some absolutely shite applicants for jobs, hopefully I’d at least stand a chance moreso than some bird who wants a job to fit in between the kids being at school and selling Avon on Facebook.

50 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

Off to its new life, which might well involve laundry or baked beans. It won't be missed. 

IMG_20220120_154952.jpg

I was thinking about that car the other day actually, remembering the fun* I had trying to reassemble the inner CV joint after I inadvertently pulled it apart.

What killed it in the end?