The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 minutes ago, artdjones said:

It didn't feel rough in any way, but it felt like it would top out at 120 kph, which is basically the performance of a 1960 Victor, so I think something was wrong, it may be wheezy, but it's supposed to have 115hp.

Quick check on parkers specs, it says that age Astra J 1.6 is 1578kg. 

For comparison, a 2008 Vectra C 1.8VVT is 1335kg.

Farking hell, how did GM get it so lardy?

7 hours ago, Bren said:

Took the vectra battery back. It was dead. Could have had straight replacement but paid extra £15 for a yuasa item with a 3 year guarantee. Only after coming home have I realised the pointlessness of my decision - it is unlikely the car will be on the road in three years.

This. You could blow however much on quality parts but lose sight of the bigger picture.

I got a phone call while I was still asleep this morning about a job I'd forgotten I'd applied for. I was still half asleep for most of it but the general gist of it is I have an interview on Teams next Wednesday! It's WFH and starts at £10/hr. I've never heard of the company so I'm off to do my research now!

57 minutes ago, SiC said:

Don't know, it doesn't feel particularly solid, and my Mégane estate weighs 1308kg so over 250kg less than the Astra and is 150mm longer and  200mmwider as well.(According to Parker's).

The Astra's weight is frankly ridiculous.

2 hours ago, SiC said:

Lordy...the unladen weight for the Caddy is 1235kg, and that's with all the gubbins for the dropped floor, a wheelchair ramp, the associated lashing points *and* a diesel engine up front...I know the Astra is bigger than a 6N Polo, but even so that seems ludicrously heavy.

The V12 XJ-S weighs in at 1700kg, which puts it in perspective a bit I think...

10 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Lordy...the unladen weight for the Caddy is 1235kg, and that's with all the gubbins for the dropped floor, a wheelchair ramp, the associated lashing points *and* a diesel engine up front...I know the Astra is bigger than a 6N Polo, but even so that seems ludicrously heavy.

The V12 XJ-S weighs in at 1700kg, which puts it in perspective a bit I think...

You cannot compare modern cars to older stuff, modern vehicles have so much more crash protection built in, plus they have things like abs pumps, multiple ecu's etc etc, FYI the new 'E'  Berlingo weighs 2.4 tons.

Screenshot_20220127-073516_Readly.thumb.jpg.e6c7a2e3a80fdebdb1d8395e20a9f4e6.jpg

6 hours ago, Jazoli said:

You cannot compare modern cars to older stuff, modern vehicles have so much more crash protection built in, plus they have things like abs pumps, multiple ecu's etc etc, FYI the new 'E'  Berlingo weighs 2.4 tons.

Screenshot_20220127-073516_Readly.thumb.jpg.e6c7a2e3a80fdebdb1d8395e20a9f4e6.jpg

I believe the phrase rhymes with "Clucking Bell". That's as much as a Rolls Royce Wraith/Ghost. I wonder its GVW is - I bet a bag of peas in the boot would max it out.

Edit: Google suggests it's true kerb weight is around 1800kg. Perhaps 2440kg is actually the GVW and they've mistaken it for kerb weight (however you fancy defining kerb weight!)

On 1/20/2022 at 9:32 AM, barefoot said:

Took the Scirocco to be tracked up yesterday. This morning I have 2 turns of the steering wheel to the left, but only one & a half to the right as I discovered when driving into next door's hedge.

Took it back yesterday to have it sorted...

Sorted it is, by means of a 'new O/S/F TRE replaced due to thread worn'. As any fule knows, Sciroccos never had TRE's on both sides, so it should say 'O/S/F  TRE fitted because we didn't know what we were doing'. That's a new garage I was trying. After being treated like I floated down the River Trent on a cream cracker it looks like I won't be going back.

8 hours ago, Jazoli said:

That is a fair point - though you'd hope that modern construction methods, cutting down on wiring through the use of multiplexed Comms etc would help offset *some* of that, though yes cars are definitely just heavier than they used to be for the most part.

I guess a more relevant comparison then is to the 2020 Audi Q3 Vorsprung which our neighbour has - 1620kg.  So a couple of decent bags of shopping in the boot of the Astra and they're the same weight.  

Thinking it must have just been in that awkward period where a lot of the new safety and emissions tech was having to be "bolted on" to a design that was basically from a couple of generations ago so no effort had been made to offset the extra weight.  Still surprised at the figure though... it's definitely one of the more unexpected bits of mostly useless knowledge picked up this week!

9 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

He scrapped it with ASSingtons in Sudbury about a week ago . He said it was pretty fkd .

Clutch gone .

Side door hanging off.

Drivers door electrics hanging out 

Thanks for checking.  That's a bit far for me - it'd cost me about 40 quid in fuel to get there and back.  I'll give eBay a try...