19 Years of Tin Snail - Back to normality

dollywobbler

Has been quite a slog, but got there in the end. Of course, as I'm restricted to a 4000rpm maximum, it means I can't really assess whether there is any difference. I want to say that she feels more responsive, but that could well be placebo. At best she's now kicking out 35bhp compared to 29, and I reckon that's optimistic given no other changes (652cc, 9:1 compression ratio over 8.5, bigger carb jets). I look forward to seeing how it is after running in - just 1998kms to go!

I am fascinated to find out what difference 6 bhp makes and eagerly await your report.

If you want to do a back to back report I can offer my 602cc 2CV and 652cc Visa.

I am fascinated to find out what difference 6 bhp makes and eagerly await your report.

If you want to do a back to back report I can offer my 602cc 2CV and 652cc Visa.

May well take you up on that, once she's run in.

Anyway, the final bit. In which I actually redo something so it is done properly. Most unlike me!

Is it run in yet?

I was a bit alarmed to discover that at 12.4mph/1000rpm, my 4000rpm limit leaves me at just 50mph. It sounds like it's chugging like a frigging diesel at that, which makes me worry what RPM I'm hitting in the lower gears...

Ended up just chasing the Nippa home after an evening out. Certainly had no trouble keeping up with that. While Mrs DW isn't quite the hooligan she once was (she could make a 1-litre AX move very quickly indeed at one point), it was reassuring how easy it was to keep up at what feels like low rpm, and also fairly low throttle.

A few little issues to work through. The valvetrain is rattling like a Simca, so now it's had a few heat cycles through it, I think I might retorque the cylinder heads and reset the valve clearances. Also, I remembered that every time I put the main beam on, there's a rather unpleasant electrical burning smell. Pretty sure that's just dirty contacts in the switch, but it's why I chose to be the chaser on the way home. 

i supose if the big bore kit is more about torques maybe it wont need driven like 16v and will be moar like diseasel!

I guess that was the hope. Wasn't aiming to beat all comers at Santa Pod. What I was hoping for is less cog stirring and less 5000+rpm. Will be interesting to see if I use the extra torque, or just drive like I did before, but faster.

DW:

Santa Pod. You in Ellie in lane 1. Me in TP in lane 2. 1/4 Mile race... Let's see what happens.

It's a long time since I was last behind the wheel of a 2CV, but I seem to recall they're generally happiest flat out.

Saw a while bunch of them (and a Dyanne) on the A74M(M) this morning.

DW:

Santa Pod. You in Ellie in lane 1. Me in TP in lane 2. 1/4 Mile race... Let's see what happens.

It's a long time since I was last behind the wheel of a 2CV, but I seem to recall they're generally happiest flat out.

Saw a while bunch of them (and a Dyanne) on the A74M(M) this morning.

and since TP has no brakes its the perfect excuse to fit a top fuel dragster style parachute  :mrgreen:

(I still hope to see an invacar round an autosolo course at some point :) )

I have been looking at my Visa 652cc handbook.

Power   -35 bhp @ 5500 rpm

Torque -35 ft/Ib @ 3500 rpm

Max RPM 6000 

Compression 9.1

Gearing mph per 1000 rpm

1st 3.51

2nd 6.40

3rd 9.73

4th 13.95

Kerb weight 755 kg

OMG minus power figures! only citreon could get away with that!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i supose if the big bore kit is more about torques maybe it wont need driven like 16v and will be moar like diseasel!

Polished-smooth bores give the same effect, weedy power delivery at low and medium revs with all the useable oomph high up. By 120-150k most 2cv engines have lost most of the honing, often replaced with score marks at the thinnest part of the barrel where partial seizures have occurred down the years, mostly due to over-advanced ignition.

Find an engine which hasn't deep score marks and where there's no ovality or other wear and a proper rehoning will work something close to miracles. Together with valve reseating and new seals, this was all that was needed to a 425cc flat twin I was given to sort out - it genuinely felt like a new engine and continues to run as well nearly 40,000 miles later.

DW, Paul Robertson used to supply exchange heads with reseated valves and a little improvement in breathing for next to nothing, if he's still racing then I suspect he still does - it could be well worth asking your friend Pete if he'll do the same, given the extra air rushing in and out of the big bores. 135/45 tyres will lengthen the gears if the existing ones are too short for all the new power.

Polished-smooth bores give the same effect, weedy power delivery at low and medium revs with all the useable oomph high up. By 120-150k most 2cv engines have lost most of the honing, often replaced with score marks at the thinnest part of the barrel where partial seizures have occurred down the years, mostly due to over-advanced ignition.

Find an engine which hasn't deep score marks and where there's no ovality or other wear and a proper rehoning will work something close to miracles. Together with valve reseating and new seals, this was all that was needed to a 425cc flat twin I was given to sort out - it genuinely felt like a new engine and continues to run as well nearly 40,000 miles later.

DW, Paul Robertson used to supply exchange heads with reseated valves and a little improvement in breathing for next to nothing, if he's still racing then I suspect he still does - it could be well worth asking your friend Pete if he'll do the same, given the extra air rushing in and out of the big bores. 135/45 tyres will lengthen the gears if the existing ones are too short for all the new power.

Thanks. In no rush at the moment. I've just been for a longer drive on a Post Office mission, and am really chuffed. Managed two overtakes, despite running in! Did a few full bore accelerations up to my 4000rpm limit in top. Overall, I note that she does feel more muscular, and I can get away with holding top on hills in a way I previously could not. Also, she'll happily potter along at 30mph in top, even with a slight gradient. She really didn't do that before.

I am a little concerned that she's got semi-synth in, which probably isn't ideal for running in, but hopefully it'll do.

Trying to find torque spanner wrenches, which is idea for pipe unions etc, is a nightmare, they do exist but are always ££££

A 3/8 drive crows foot can be useful for that sort of thing. Not sure if you can get 1/4 drive crows foot but 3/8 drive torque wrenches are available with low ranges. 

It was indeed quite toasty today.

However, I had forgotten what it is like to drive a 2CV on a windy day. At one point, the wind was doing a grand job of opening the upper half of the door and blowing in my face. Then it got gusty, so it began to look like I was tackling an invisible slalom. You really do feel the weather in a 2CV.

Family friends loved Dyanes and 2CVs. They experienced the same. They also experienced the wipers slowing when they went up hills. At least it wasn't as bad as their Peugeot 106 which decided to have its sump fall off in the driveway.

Family friends loved Dyanes and 2CVs. They experienced the same. They also experienced the wipers slowing when they went up hills. At least it wasn't as bad as their Peugeot 106 which decided to have its sump fall off in the driveway.

Wipers really shouldn't slow on hills. When you come to a stop, maybe. Well, definitely. Especially if the headlamps are on. Basically, speed sensitive wipers.

Wipers really shouldn't slow on hills. When you come to a stop, maybe. Well, definitely. Especially if the headlamps are on. Basically, speed sensitive wipers.

I think that until sometime around 1960 2cvs had wipers driven by an engine shaft or flexi-drive like a speedo.  For a given gear, wipers would slow as speed decreased on a hill. After that, electric wiper motors became standard.

I think that until sometime around 1960 2cvs had wipers driven by an engine shaft or flexi-drive like a speedo.  For a given gear, wipers would slow as speed decreased on a hill. After that, electric wiper motors became standard.

That is true, but not many of those in the UK. 2CVs generally weren't sold here (apart from the few Slough cars) until 1974, becoming most popular in the 1980s. 

It was indeed quite toasty today.

However, I had forgotten what it is like to drive a 2CV on a windy day. At one point, the wind was doing a grand job of opening the upper half of the door and blowing in my face. Then it got gusty, so it began to look like I was tackling an invisible slalom. You really do feel the weather in a 2CV.

maybe you need a set of "ears" off a Sierror to combat side winds!