1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - All sorted, back on the road - see page 31

Peter C

On 23/03/2024 at 06:31, Peter C said:

I wrote to the previous owner but he didn’t reply and there was nothing in the document pack (I’m not calling it a service history) to reveal anything about the Sierra’s early life, so no, I have no idea which dealer supplied it.

IMG_9336.jpeg.24b840653d6939bb3ff5eec3f3acfaa0.jpeg

I would have thought this was the original number plate on the back, so it may well have been a Haynes of Maidstone car.

I saw a Y reg grey 1.6L go past me in the traffic a couple of days ago, with a mature (ie even older than me) gent driving.  It looked absolutely immaculate, which makes me wonder how it could have survived so long.  Every one has a story I guess.  

Fab progress on the smartie blue Sierra!

That AI generated cr@p is sickening.  We're going to drown in this stuff soon.  Nice photo though.  

2 hours ago, greengartside said:

IMG_9336.jpeg.24b840653d6939bb3ff5eec3f3acfaa0.jpeg

I would have thought this was the original number plate on the back, so it may well have been a Haynes of Maidstone car.

Bugger me with a fish fork, I haven’t noticed the faded text. Well spotted that man. 

Maidstone is in Kent and the Sierra wears a Kent number plate, so that makes sense.

That dealer still exists:

IMG_5809.jpeg.77317df2c5cc26d2c9eb0e6e50c869be.jpeg

I wonder if they have kept any details of the sale. Doubt it but I’ll send them an email anyway.

1 hour ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

e-mail them? good god man drive the car there for a foto!🤣

They might well be interested in seeing it.  Then again, when I rebuilt my Sierra with a new bodyshell, the Parts Director of a Ford agent was very helpful with the process.  When I said I could lend them the car for a while as thanks, his comment was 'whatever you do, don't bring it near us'.  Ford as a company, he told me, wanted to disassociate with the past. 

I'm glad you persevered because this thing looks amazing! I'd imagine it'll be a surprise head turner when it's finally on the road as well as I find for some reason a once common car in actual colour gets loads of attention these day. Also because it's not 100% exactly perfect better than new condition if it was mine I'd not mind driving it a lot as well.

BTW, Cuff Miller sent me a few details about the service record for my Mondeo when I asked back in 2016. So, you never know.

I have had a look at the service history that we have and I can tell you that it had a regular service with us from,
1995 to 2005. There was a cam belt fitted at 25662 miles on 26/11/1998.

After 2005 we had it in for MOT’s up until 2009 and then we did not see it again.

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Couldn't resist a look.  One of the visible regs last recorded in 2003 and the other 2005.  Reckon the survival rate will be dismal.  Well we know one has survived from the era and looks set for a while yet.

2 hours ago, egg said:

There’s a red Sierra on the forecourt with a red stripe on the bumper and 13 inch wheels. I thought the red stripes were introduced when all Sierras rolled out on 14 inch wheels. Either someone updated the bumpers with red tape, as I did or I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Very good I'd say!

I’m planning the following trips in the Sierra:

1. To Aldbury, a picturesque village that I regularly visit to stop for a cuppa and photo.

2. To Silverstone, also for a cuppa and photo.

3. Around the M25, which was first opened a year before my Sierra was built and was once regularly populated by eager reps thrashing their Sierras on route to appointments.

4. To Haynes of Maidstone, probably for a quick cuppa and photo, before security order me to leave the premises.

2 minutes ago, N19 said:

You might be able to find some more info from the UKDAC section of Fords. Send email to ukdac@forddac.co.uk and they are very speedy in replying, in my experience.

What sort of info can they provide?

2 minutes ago, Peter C said:

What sort of info can they provide?

I've had a confirmation of build date for the Capri, and the full certificate of conformity for the Mondeo (sent to me 23 minutes after asking!) - I'm not sure what they might hold on a sierra of your age, but it might be worth a try. Helpful, when I spoke to them.

13 minutes ago, Peter C said:

That’s pretty cool but it’s not original and I don’t want to tarnish the 100% originality with a replica sticker.

Understood, it's a fine line between replication and disneyfication. 

4 minutes ago, Peter C said:

1. To Aldbury, a picturesque village that I regularly visit to stop for a cuppa and photo.

3. Around the M25, which was first opened a year before my Sierra was built and was once regularly populated by eager reps thrashing their Sierras on route to appointments.

4. To Haynes of Maidstone, probably for a quick cuppa and photo, before security order me to leave the premises.

A circuit of the M25 is surprisingly cathartic, although I've only done it once and I set off around 7pm on a sunny summers evening.

I took my capri back to the supplying dealership in Keighley when I was in the area, they didn't object to me taking photos (part of me wondered/secretly hoped that they might be a bit interested or find old Bert from the workshops who remembered the car from the 90s, but no such luck)

if you are looping the m25 you are only a few miles from Dagenham. Not much to see there now but can get a picture in front of the gates if you go to the right bit

Or Dunton tech centre where some of the car would have been developed 

13 minutes ago, Peter C said:

Could you please also include the next Autoshite gathering where I think you'd get a fair amount of attention.  To put it mildly......

20 minutes ago, Peter C said:

If you want to come a bit further into Kent and get some shots with its younger blue brother, you're welcome to have a go in my Mondeo for a back to back comparison.

But if the thought of talking to another Ford owner about the minutiae of trim designations puts you in a cold sweat, just ignore me, I don't get offended!

6 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Could you please also include the next Autoshite gathering where I think you'd get a fair amount of attention.  To put it mildly......

Name the time and place, preferably somewhere down sarf.

1 minute ago, egg said:

If you want to come a bit further into Kent and get some shots with its younger blue brother, you're welcome to have a go in my Mondeo for a back to back comparison.

But if the thought of talking to another Ford owner about the minutiae of trim designations puts you in a cold sweat, just ignore me, I don't get offended!

I’m up for that. The two Fords would look great side by side. 

4 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Well we just had one, which was indeed down South - see the thread - but I daresay that it won't be too long until another. 

The Sierra will be taxed from next Monday and I’m hoping that the MoT will be extended by 13 months in about six weeks. It will then be ready for outings and shows.

1 minute ago, wesacosa said:

not down south but would look great at the Festival of the unexecptional in the summer 

I’ve always wanted to attend FotU but I doubt the Sierra is tidy enough to make it past the entrance gates.