Supernaut's Cars - 323i / Megane

Supernaut

Just now, SiC said:

Sometimes power cycling the adapter (unplug & plug) and trying again might work. Often need to do it if using between apps. 

I unplugged it several times while trying to get ScanMyOpel to work.

Some interesting things were learned today using the live data on Tayne's diagnostics on the Astra.

Particularly; when the car (and subsequently the exhaust) is properly hot, the pre-cat O2 sensor is giving some wild readings. It was even randomly dropping to a flat zero. Thus the fuel trim is getting adjusted way out of parameters, the whole thing panics, and goes into limp mode.

Even parking it up for about 10-15 minutes lets it cool just enough for me to get a good 10-15 miles before it drops into limp mode again.

Would it be plausible for an O2 sensor to gradually break down like this, with the heat?

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Would it be plausible for an O2 sensor to gradually break down like this, with the heat

Absolutely. I've had some very strange behaviour from cars due to failing o2 sensors. My Bini used to kill them every 6 months due to smoking which would result in an EML a misfire, cutting out or all 3.

The TT would thrown an EML and bog down then buck around like a slapped horse under attempted hard acceleration.

You may already know this but Fuel trims are determined by the O2 sensor. It provides the feedback to close the fuel injection control loop. If the O2 sensor is giving rouge values then it will screw the rest of it up. 

Check the connector and wiring isn't damaged first. If not then potentially a new O2 sensor is in order. Don't solder the connector together if it is faulty, it needs to be a connector as the O2 sensor literally breaths through the connection wires!

Get a decent brand sensor if replacing it too. Cheap brands will give you further problems. (Might even been replaced by someone previously by a cheapy)

17 hours ago, SiC said:

You may already know this but Fuel trims are determined by the O2 sensor. It provides the feedback to close the fuel injection control loop. If the O2 sensor is giving rouge values then it will screw the rest of it up. 

Check the connector and wiring isn't damaged first. If not then potentially a new O2 sensor is in order. Don't solder the connector together if it is faulty, it needs to be a connector as the O2 sensor literally breaths through the connection wires!

Get a decent brand sensor if replacing it too. Cheap brands will give you further problems. (Might even been replaced by someone previously by a cheapy)

Aye, I'm aware the O2 sensor plays a big part in that feedback loop.

I was just curious about if they can gradually break down in the heat, rather than just instantly shit themselves.

Although I've seen ignition coils that only pose issues when hot, so I guess so.

I'll jack it up today and check the access to that sensor and what size of socket I'll require.

Had meant to post this the other day, but the O2 sensors definitely play funny buggers with cars.

Had one with frayed wiring that caused an EML periodically, or would cause the car to stall/switch off when it dropped down to near idle. Replaced it, and the issue cleared. It logged no fault codes, weirdly. YMMV and aw that.

20 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Had meant to post this the other day, but the O2 sensors definitely play funny buggers with cars.

Had one with frayed wiring that caused an EML periodically, or would cause the car to stall/switch off when it dropped down to near idle. Replaced it, and the issue cleared. It logged no fault codes, weirdly. YMMV and aw that.

Aye.

I'm quite convinced having seen the live data yesterday.

The pre-cat sensor's voltage reading was all over the place. Complete with totally sporadic drops to 0v.

It seems I can get a Bosch 02 sensor from car parts in motion, plus a 22mm O2 sensor socket for just under £50 all in.

Yeah, don't plan on driving it anywhere like that!

Found the correct sensor with a longer lead to fit the twinport engine. Still from car parts in motion, Denso instead of Bosch, but only a few quid more.

Order placed for sensor and socket, just a bawhair over £60.

The sensor on both engines look very similar, however the non twinport uses a circa 30cm lead, while the twinport uses about 50cm of lead. I measured it. 30cm would go from the sensor to the plug if I pulled it as tight as a banjo string...! It needs the extra 20cm to go through and around things. Glad I checked that.

I did have a quick look the other day but couldn't immediately find out, but is the pre cat different from the post cat lambda? Looked to be but presumably cable length?

Just thinking of the idea to swap them around to test to see if it resolves the issues without spending money. Post cat lambda at this age should only be used to test that the cat is working and not used for fuelling adjustment. So probably run fine (albeit with code) if disconnected (or even giving duff readings).

Was the Bosch a generic sensor? Nothing wrong with that but does require splicing into the old connector with their special connection block. All to do with the sensor breathing through the wires.

8 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

Please can you explain what that means? Not something I've heard of before.

Sounds crazy but it's true at least according to the manufacturers like Bosch/etc.

A bit about it here:

The cheapest* I can insure the BMW, at least with Footman James, is £500.

That's for 5k miles per year, no commuting, and I'm in a supposedly really good postcode.

I only paid £400 to insure the Astra for far more miles and commuting...

I reckon a dust sheet and pushing it back into the shed is cheaper.

My motivation to continue with it is currently at a negative value.

EDIT: Tried a few other sources. I'm either not getting a quote at all or it's running into 4-figures. It's a lightly modified car I only want to use for social purposes for 5k miles per year but I'm currently unemployed, so yeah. I'm fucked. Dust sheet and the back of the shed it is, then.

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

but I'm currently unemployed

Farm worker surely?
Don't have to be employed to work on a farm that you live on.
Might not make things better though.

Would you get enjoyment from the BMW being on the road?

@JJ0063 might be able to help with this.

I suspect that the risk profile of an unemployed person is actually surprisingly high, not least because they would be using the car and exposed to opportunity for crashing far more than an employed person who, statistically, is imprisoned for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.

Can you not list your employment as 'farm labourer' instead, since thats what you seem to actually do? (EDIT, Tickman can type quicker than me)

2 minutes ago, Tickman said:

Farm worker surely?
Don't have to be employed to work on a farm that you live on.
Might not make things better though.

Would you get enjoyment from the BMW being on the road?

No, just anxiety about when it'll next shart its cooling system.

I think I'll just suck it up.

I paid just over £400 to insure it last year anyway, and it seems that I get quoted about the same no matter how much I fudge or blatantly lie about my employment status. It's the car itself.

I have that much money or thereabouts earmarked for insuring this and getting it back on the road anyway, so whatever. It's for a whole year. Surely I'll have money coming back in by then.

I'll see if I can get an MOT slot sometime next week and if I do, I'll get the insurance to start on Monday.

With the cooling system, I don't know why I'm nervous about that. It got warm at FOTU last July, and that was it. It was far from the only car that struggled in that queue, and it drove back to Stirling just fine. Then around the place for a few months afterwards just fine, too. Now it has a renewed and refreshed cooling system to boot.

I also don't really want to get rid of it, or if I did it would be for another 6-pot manual E36.

I'm just generally a bit pissed off at the world. Constant automatic email knockbacks for jobs I'm qualified for and thought I had a chance of at least an interview for. Nope. My experience is in IT so employers just straight-up reject my applications for jobs in other sectors no matter how much I focus on my transferrable skills and the fact I want to move sectors.

Then I went out and fed the horses and calmed down. Honestly, they have the same effect on the mood as a dog or a cat, just a bit bigger.

6 hours ago, Stanky said:

@JJ0063 might be able to help with this.

I suspect that the risk profile of an unemployed person is actually surprisingly high, not least because they would be using the car and exposed to opportunity for crashing far more than an employed person who, statistically, is imprisoned for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.

Can you not list your employment as 'farm labourer' instead, since thats what you seem to actually do? (EDIT, Tickman can type quicker than me)

Rates are through the roof at the minute, most people are seeing at least a 60% increase on last year so £500 odd is pretty good going at the minute.

Also just be prepared to prove occupation if you’ve lied on the policy, if you’ve quoted unemployed recently too. When you quote through a comparison site, the insurer of course have record of every single set of details you submit to them so when you buy a policy, they will validate it and cross reference every quote for anti fraud measures. If you’ve quoted unemployed then magically found a job a day or so later then chances are they will pick up on that and want a couple of pieces of evidence.