The grumpy thread

outlaw118

37 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

They do know how to pick their time don’t they. My sister’s Bosch died last Christmas after a power cut. BBQ time!

Last year it was Christmas Day evening that the fridge packed in.  That I was able to diagnose, reverse engineer and bodge until a spare part could be sourced.  Not looking like that's an option here as everything is microprocessor controlled...so there are no actual thermostats or anything to control things with even if I could get power to where I need it.

21 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Last year it was Christmas Day evening that the fridge packed in.  That I was able to diagnose, reverse engineer and bodge until a spare part could be sourced.  Not looking like that's an option here as everything is microprocessor controlled...so there are no actual thermostats or anything to control things with even if I could get power to where I need it.

As an appliance engineer, I dread Christmas,with ovens packing up when it's too late to do anything and you feel like Bad Santa. Don't normally work Fridays, but was out yesterday fitting a new hob as the old one was tripping the electrics, stopping the oven as well. Could have just disconnected it, but managed to source a replacement so got the job done in one visit. Tenant happy, letting agent happy, nice little earner for me as it was raining heavily and couldn't do the jobs at home I'd got planned till it stopped anyway. Have you got an oven in your motorhome you could use?

3 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

As an appliance engineer, I dread Christmas,with ovens packing up. Don't normally work Fridays, but was out yesterday fitting a new hob as the old one was tripping the electrics, stopping the oven as well. Could have just disconnected it, but managed to source a replacement so got the job done in one visit. Tenant happy, letting agent happy, nice little earner for me as it was raining heavily and couldn't do the jobs at home I'd got planned till it stopped anyway. Have you got an oven in your motorhome you could use?

Oven?  Yes.  Gas?  Not so much.

Edit: Just found more fun.  It's not actually wired into its own circuit.  Had to kill power to it to stop it bloody beeping...half the downstairs sockets have also been switched off...

Can't say I'm massively surprised...disappointed yes, not really surprised.  It's part of the house I haven't fixed/had fixed so of course it's fscked up.

On 12/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, outlaw118 said:

Beginning to think that I might actually be a massive cunt.

I don't go out much, time, money and arsedness (lack of) tend to get in the way these days, but pre-pandemic I reckon I went out at least once a week, met up with the lads, banger racing , gigs. 

Now, I don't know whether I'vew changed, or pissed someone off, but late summer all* the chaps met up at a local pub by the river, and judging by the photos on Faceybook it looked like a "return to the good old days".

Was I invited? Was I fuck. Never mind.

Last weekend a similar bunch of friends* went out in That London, for the "annual get together". Was I invited? This is despite one of the protagonists walks past Outlaw_Towers a couple of times a week to visit his olds, another I saw a week before, and another I went out with the night before!

I've been working in a depot for about 2 years, in every day during lockdown, then in and out itermittently since - one day a week I'm there all day, other times it's random/weather dependent.

They had their Christmas party last night, and I only know about it because the cleaner told me that the blokes toilets had overflowed because someone had bunged the urinal up with silly string.

I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but.....

Let them get to fuck, same thing happened to me years ago and honestly haven't heard from them since (all but one) or admittedly tried to contact them. All the numbers are in my phone, they come up on Whatsapp as online recently but I then question myself what I would be trying to get out of it by getting in touch. We never fell out and in fact one of them sent me a message a few weeks ago asking to catch up, but not as a group. Few messages back and forth then radio silence. I'll send a Christmas message tomorrow but beyond that I'll leave it if it comes to it. No hard feelings to any of them and if I were to cross paths with them I'll happily be friendly, but its just one of those things.

I just put it down to drifting apart, on the flip side I have met many new people over the years and it feels like I could have known them all my life. The way I see it is what do you really have in common if neither side have attempted to contact each other for years now, and were they just friendly strangers who you had dealings with, while you worked together as one example, or a genuine friend-like connection? I think in my case it was probably the former. I had some brilliant mates back from school but am not in regular contact with any of them now. Probably because we dont share (m)any interests.

I went to Sainsburys earlier and I feel vindicated after my earlier post:

EB72CE60-9B9C-470D-B289-4A38B55B9FC2.thumb.jpeg.7e00b412ae161da31c00bff0b71da76a.jpeg

Plain brown wrapping paper. I was ahead of the trend!

My new wrapping paper grump is that my mrs only bought one roll and I didn’t realise. Managed to get our sons presents wrapped and hers, none for anyone else though. Might have to raid the garage again!

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Gotcha ya little bastard.  At least I think so...if it survives tomorrow I'll call it good.

IMG_20221224_205817.jpg

Culprit: one tarnished edge connector on the timer board.

IMG_20221224_204111.jpg

That's obviously after I'd cleaned it!  No in progress photos as this was an absolutely disgusting job.  As with everything we inherited in this kitchen it was absolutely covered in sticky, greasy slime.  So if it keeps working I will be completely disassembling the damned thing and probably putting every part of the casing and front panel through the dishwasher.

Not sure if the issue was power to the timer board or an issue with the enable signal from the timer to the main controller or a combination of the two.

Daft type of interconnect to use in a hostile environment like this.  Vibration, extreme heat cycles, grease, humidity, the lot.  Mechanical stress there too as the timer inevitably moves a bit when the buttons are pressed.

Have just come across this video. Some bloke upset that servicing stop have ripped him off. 

This is a company that offers a "full service" and MOT for £130 incl VAT.....

He's upset that they haven't changed his coolant, haven't done anything with his air con, it still starts like a bag of shit, reckons the cabin filter hasnt been checked because the screws dont look like they've been touched (??) , and the engine oil hasn't been done because its black and they haven't spilled any. They haven't checked the spark plugs (its a diesel) and points to his brake fluid and says they've topped up is power steering fluid. 

Honestly, people like this really piss me off. They think they know it all yet slag off the professionals. The copper grease over the battery terminals and air filter housing made me laugh though

If you're paying £130 for a service and MOT you'd be lucky to get an oil change at best!! Looks to me like they've done the job in hand, he's expecting too much and its just shady advertising by servicing stop. The garage themselves have just done as instructed

Yesterday I got a text that a couple of people in Manc I know had their spaceship Civic written off in a hit and run with a form of feline thieving pastry that can be used to unlock doors. Sigh. Been tasked with finding a replacement. 

Today, another message comes down the grapevine - a good mate in Bristol had a rough night. He recently bought a 30k mile Partner Escapade he'd been coveting for a bit, he loves Berlingos. 

He got too drunk to drive and paid someone he was with to drive him home. Took exception to their driving and turfed them out, tried to drive himself home and ended up putting the Partner on its roof. No idea what happened but he tried to hide or flee the scene and got bit on the leg by a police search dog. 

Waiting to hear what plod do with him but he supposedly blew almost high enough for a year's ban. 
FFS, man. 

6 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Yesterday I got a text that a couple of people in Manc I know had their spaceship Civic written off in a hit and run with a form of feline thieving pastry that can be used to unlock doors. Sigh. Been tasked with finding a replacement. 

Today, another message comes down the grapevine - a good mate in Bristol had a rough night. He recently bought a 30k mile Partner Escapade he'd been coveting for a bit, he loves Berlingos. 

He got too drunk to drive and paid someone he was with to drive him home. Took exception to their driving and turfed them out, tried to drive himself home and ended up putting the Partner on its roof. No idea what happened but he tried to hide or flee the scene and got bit on the leg by a police search dog. 

Waiting to hear what plod do with him but he supposedly blew almost high enough for a year's ban. 
FFS, man. 

What an idiot. Lucky he’s off the road before he ends up killing someone. 

8 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Have just come across this video. Some bloke upset that servicing stop have ripped him off. 

This is a company that offers a "full service" and MOT for £130 incl VAT.....

He's upset that they haven't changed his coolant, haven't done anything with his air con, it still starts like a bag of shit, reckons the cabin filter hasnt been checked because the screws dont look like they've been touched (??) , and the engine oil hasn't been done because its black and they haven't spilled any. They haven't checked the spark plugs (its a diesel) and points to his brake fluid and says they've topped up is power steering fluid. 

Honestly, people like this really piss me off. They think they know it all yet slag off the professionals. The copper grease over the battery terminals and air filter housing made me laugh though

If you're paying £130 for a service and MOT you'd be lucky to get an oil change at best!! Looks to me like they've done the job in hand, he's expecting too much and its just shady advertising by servicing stop. The garage themselves have just done as instructed

If he knows that much why hasn’t he done it himself? 🤣

Just now, sierraman said:

If he knows that much why hasn’t he done it himself? 🤣

Would I get £5 off as there's no air-con to check? No? I'll make a wanky video.
I will. You just watch me.
I really, really hate a lot of shite like this that seems to plague YouTube, Grrrrrrrr 

Battling the lurgy that is covid but not actually covid, all very bearable until I sat on the couch to watch little un  open her presents and my back went into spasm .... fucking bumhats and this will be the first time I've missed going to the local for a quick pint in 25 yrs :( 

TIME TO BREAK OUT THE EMERGENCY JAMESON :) 

Had a lovely cunt next door free silent day, as they fucked off somewhere in the pikey truck. Except they came back 10 minutes ago, and it's now screaming / crying child with Mr. Cunt shouting "you fucking bastard" and slamming doors. Guess such child rearing techniques did him no harm....

18 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Had a lovely cunt next door free silent day, as they fucked off somewhere in the pikey truck. Except they came back 10 minutes ago, and it's now screaming / crying child with Mr. Cunt shouting "you fucking bastard" and slamming doors. Guess such child rearing techniques did him no harm....

Link

MrsImp has covid. 3hrs after testing positive she went out as she was bored of being stuck in the house, as fuck everyone else, yeah. 

She also refuses to cover her mouth when she coughs, making sure everything in a 3 metre radius is fucking covered in her fucking germs so everyone else will get as ill as she is. 

Cunt. 

7 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

...making sure everything in a 3 metre radius is fucking covered in her fucking germs so everyone else will get potentially massively more ill than she is, still be suffering seven months (and counting) on, or die as several of my personal friends have.

Corrected to match my personal experience to date.