The grumpy thread

outlaw118

19 hours ago, meggersdog said:

Put the price up for MoTs from £40.00 to £45.00 last month. Last month most people were "yeah, everything's gone up" This week I've had two ask how much are MoTs  "HOW MUCH, oh okay thank's"  one booked in then half an hour later cancelled because they obviously found someone cheaper. Another although paid said he didn't begrudge paying but also mentioned it was a 12% increase. My price has been 40 quid for the last 8 years but trade still get it for £35.00. With the cost of electric I have had to put the price up. If the moaning about the increase carries on I might just call it a day and walk away.

If they can’t find £45 they need to get off the road quite frankly. On reflection these that will look for a £25 MOT aren’t the custom you want. 

Cars on the left been parked there a while, car on the right a new arrival.

MVI_2358_Moment2.thumb.jpg.7064b547295ca139efc2997ee80ccbb3.jpg

Just selfish really.  I don't know if it's the neighbour who lives there, a visitor, or a random plonker but they do seem to insist on parking in that exact spot regardless of what else is parked on the road or driveway of the house they're in front of, usually at everyone else's inconvenience.  I'd say blocking the pavement is an issue too except that most of the people it would bother around here insist on walking in the middle of the road.

Still, it was nice to get out in the car (and not do anything else, sod trying to go into any sort of shop at this time of year, even if I am testing neg now) for the first time since getting Covid, which can also get in the bin with the random bouts of exhaustion and the coughing fits waking me up repeatedly still.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:12 PM, meggersdog said:

Put the price up for MoTs from £40.00 to £45.00 last month. Last month most people were "yeah, everything's gone up" This week I've had two ask how much are MoTs  "HOW MUCH, oh okay thank's"  one booked in then half an hour later cancelled because they obviously found someone cheaper. Another although paid said he didn't begrudge paying but also mentioned it was a 12% increase. My price has been 40 quid for the last 8 years but trade still get it for £35.00. With the cost of electric I have had to put the price up. If the moaning about the increase carries on I might just call it a day and walk away.

Dont blame you, everywhere around here is £54.85 now, there's just so much demand and not a lot of competition. We're usually stone dead in the fortnight up until Christmas but not this year so something has changed in my area! Had a flyer through the door this morning for a place offering them for £35. That's very unusual for Sussex, I dont think I've seen one advertised cheaper than £40 for well over 5 years now apart from the fast fit chains.  We do them by arrangement so its the (trade) test fee + a tiny arrangement fee but its the convenience factor of dropping it off and we do the rest instead of them having to go to the next town over and either wait or get a taxi/lift or whatever back! Most people are happy, and you only get a few OMGHOWMUCH out of every hundred. 

10 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I’m sceptical about places charging £25 for an MOT.  They are obviously trying to attract the people with least money whose cars need most work , and are assuming most of that work will be theirs.

They make me laugh, quite often we have customers who come to us, baulk at the test fee, bugger off to Halfords, pay £25 there and come back with a list of axle bushes or shock absorbers typically. So we then rectify the "failures" and they take it back down for their retest. You know what's funny, things like axle bushes or weeping shocks for example were overzealous fails and might have been a P+A with the tester(s) we use anyway so they've cost themselves more of their own time and money! 

The MOT place (admittedly three doors down) from me collect the car/van off my drive, MOT it and drop it back off for £50.

They even still just charge  £50 when it's a class 4 (big van MOT) and they have to drive it all the way into sheffield and it's half an hours drive each way on top of the MOT, so I can't knock them for that tbh.

those mithering at £15 extra for the MOT somewhere they trust are the same sort of wet brained fuckwits who buy a brand new car on PCP because it's only £30 a year to tax. Know the cost of everything but the value of nothing. Spend all day walking around Skegness in the rain to try and find the cheapest place for fish and chips and never have chance to sit down and enjoy the true beauty of the place.

Had a call yesterday , someone wanting an mot yesterday evening ? we shut at midday on Saturdays.One slot left on Monday so I booked him in for that. " yeah been to Kwik-fit in Leister and they've stitched me up". Hmm, better book it in on the reg number then.

After I put the phone down I checked the mot history. Failed on Thursday for a serious fluid leak on the nearside front shock absorber. It might be we'll see on Monday. It also failed on the headlamp bulbs, l.e.d's fitted instead of halogens. There isn't a beam pattern so that's a fail also. So headlight bulbs and a leaking shock doesn't sound like a stitch up to me. There were advisories for three tyres, two at 2mm and one being 1.6mm.

Should be in the grin thread really but it ties in with the discount fast fit places mentioned. Thing is if he is going to drive from Leicester to the other side of Stamford that 1.6 mm tyre might be below 1.6 by the time it gets here.

20 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Just taking a wild guess here, but I'd imagine if you're the sort of absolute knobhead who's 'not going to donate to the RNLI anymore' because they rescued some immigrants, then you probably never actually donated to them anyway. 

How would the lifeboat people even run that system? I guess the options are to demand identification before rescue and refuse to rescue if they're foreign, or to rescue, demand identification and throw them back in the sea if they're foreign or don't have it

Neighbour isn’t going to be happy when he gets back. Huge water leak this morning. Emergency estate warden broke in with the easy measure of cutting through the lock with an enormous angle grinder.

image.jpg

edit. I saw the icicles out of the window vent and running water coming off the windowsill at 9 am. Sent estates maintenance an email but as out of hours….

called affinity water, on hold for thirty minutes to be finally told there was nothing they can do to turn the water off.

Found the phone number for emergency warden and left a message as they were very busy.

got a call back a few minutes later to be fair to say  that they’d had the email and were en route. 

11.15 they broke in and cut the water off. Then another hour securing the door.

my neighbour is in the process of moving out, and had turned the heating off.

1 hour ago, meggersdog said:

Had a call yesterday , someone wanting an mot yesterday evening ? we shut at midday on Saturdays.One slot left on Monday so I booked him in for that. " yeah been to Kwik-fit in Leister and they've stitched me up". Hmm, better book it in on the reg number then.

After I put the phone down I checked the mot history. Failed on Thursday for a serious fluid leak on the nearside front shock absorber. It might be we'll see on Monday. It also failed on the headlamp bulbs, l.e.d's fitted instead of halogens. There isn't a beam pattern so that's a fail also. So headlight bulbs and a leaking shock doesn't sound like a stitch up to me. There were advisories for three tyres, two at 2mm and one being 1.6mm.

Should be in the grin thread really but it ties in with the discount fast fit places mentioned. Thing is if he is going to drive from Leister to the other side of Stamford that 1.6 mm tyre might be below 1.6 by the time it gets here.

I'm invested in this now, need to know more when tomorrow comes 🤣

1 hour ago, horriblemercedes said:

How would the lifeboat people even run that system? I guess the options are to demand identification before rescue and refuse to rescue if they're foreign, or to rescue, demand identification and throw them back in the sea if they're foreign or don't have it

In an ideal world they'd take the moaners who complained about them picking up immigrants and do a mid-sea exchange.

21 hours ago, sierraman said:

If they can’t find £45 they need to get off the road quite frankly. On reflection these that will look for a £25 MOT aren’t the custom you want. 

It's like when people buy a car that advertised " Cam belt and water pump done".

If you buy a car because it's had a £350 job done on it you are on thin ice. 

29 minutes ago, Bren said:

It's like when people buy a car that advertised " Cam belt and water pump done".

If you buy a car because it's had a £350 job done on it you are on thin ice. 

It doesn’t cut much ice with me because I’d swap it myself for the cost of the belt but I guess if you aren’t handy with the tools then it’s a £500 day out I guess. It’s a nice to have I suppose, shows that someone with some sense and money has had it, many people think that ignorance will get them a pass on that front. 

Extractor fan in the en suite died a couple of weeks ago, finally got around to replacing it today.

Yeah... knowing this house I don't know *why* I thought this would simply be a case of "replace the broken thing" rather than "spend two hours undoing the work that had originally been done apparently by a stoned gorilla, then fix what I actually set out to do."

Don't reckon the fan has been doing anything useful for a good while given that the way the outlet ducting was routed it had filled up with several litres of water.  It's now attached to one of the rafters and supported properly - hey look, it actually moves air now!

Guessing that mess is probably what killed the original fan too.

Went into my local Halfords yesterday to buy a brake adjustment spanner, I couldn’t find one so asked the young lad behind the counter to which he replied “never heard of one of dem before mate, and I’ve been a mechanic for 2 years” 

went home and ordered one on Amazon, but I didn’t realise until after I ordered it that it’s not showing up until January. 

Fuck fuck fuckity fucking fuck! On the 06.41 from Castle Cary to Paddington which was delayed for over an hour due to points failure. Will now miss my Eurostar and onward train to Barcelona (non refundable). This little episode will cost me a few hundred pounds. So much for trying to be environmentally friendly by not flying.  I'm off to Gatwick to get a flight.

First available flight 06.30 tomorrow morning so I've got sixteen and a half hours to kill at Gatwick. £300 down on lost train tickets and cost of flight. This holiday will be worth it once it gets going! 

First world problems. I'm warm and dry and got food in my belly so I shouldn't really be moaning. I would say, "Worse things happen at sea" but as I'm going sailing I hope they don't! 😀

Anyone got any recommendations for good podcasts to listen to or other ways to kill time at an airport? 

18 minutes ago, Sunny Jim said:

First available flight 06.30 tomorrow morning so I've got sixteen and a half hours to kill at Gatwick. £300 down on lost train tickets and cost of flight. This holiday will be worth it once it gets going! 

First world problems. I'm warm and dry and got food in my belly so I shouldn't really be moaning. I would say, "Worse things happen at sea" but as I'm going sailing I hope they don't! 😀

Anyone got any recommendations for good podcasts to listen to or other ways to kill time at an airport? 

13 Minutes to the Moon if you’re into that sort of thing.  The second series on Apollo 13 is particularly good.

Not my car but FiL’s Focus.  Belonged to my other half until we got the BINI then we gave it to them.  Bloody good car, too.  Have told them to get somebody to check it over for anything more structural because I am not getting involved if I can help it.

Couldn’t leave it on my conscience to leave it and not tell them though as they would never notice and it could be the tip of a rusty iceberg…

68EA9B51-7C6C-4941-B687-577F586A7BDD.thumb.jpeg.15b5122ea10c55cdc4ac7ea9714ab3c9.jpeg

1 minute ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Not my car but FiL’s Focus.  Belonged to my other half until we got the BINI then we gave it to them.  Bloody good car, too.  Have told them to get somebody to check it over for anything more structural because I am not getting involved if I can help it.

68EA9B51-7C6C-4941-B687-577F586A7BDD.thumb.jpeg.15b5122ea10c55cdc4ac7ea9714ab3c9.jpeg

New wing time, all the secondhand ones will be fucked in same place. £50-60 for a new one, £150 if you want it painted.