The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Will you moan about something trivial at that one ? 
Remember that MOT testers are flat out busy at the moment due to covid tests and normal ones . 
If you knew that there was a leaf under the wiper when you presented it then why didn’t you pull it out ?

Getting the mileage wrong is shit tho . 

You’re quite right, it’s a trivial moan, at the end of the day it cost me £15 for a new wiper blade and now I’ve got 12 months MOT again. However it made me a little peeved, partly because I do take care when presenting a vehicle for a test, making sure that everything works and is clean and tidy. Unfortunately I have to park under a tree, so small leaves in the wipers are a everyday irritation. I thought I had got them all out.

It did irritate me that he changed the wiper without asking, and that he couldn’t present me with the old one (which there was nothing wrong with). 

To be fair, if this was all, then I wouldn’t have bothered posting anything, but then to input the milage from a different car (and then be a bit of a tit about changing it) just turned the whole lot into a feeling of grumpiness..... 

40 minutes ago, rusty_vw_man said:

You’re quite right, it’s a trivial moan...

I thought that was more the point of this thread, the minor gripes and petty annoyances rather than the gut-sickening dread that comes with discovering the missus has been servicing the milkman or your house has fallen down.

In that vein, I won a doo-dad on an  eBay auction last Thursday lunchtime. The seller particularly specified  'prompt payment' which I did as soon as I got the email.

He sent it out yesterday, a full week after the auction ended. Twat.

1 hour ago, rusty_vw_man said:

You’re quite right, it’s a trivial moan, at the end of the day it cost me £15 for a new wiper blade and now I’ve got 12 months MOT again. However it made me a little peeved, partly because I do take care when presenting a vehicle for a test, making sure that everything works and is clean and tidy. Unfortunately I have to park under a tree, so small leaves in the wipers are a everyday irritation. I thought I had got them all out.

It did irritate me that he changed the wiper without asking, and that he couldn’t present me with the old one (which there was nothing wrong with). 

To be fair, if this was all, then I wouldn’t have bothered posting anything, but then to input the milage from a different car (and then be a bit of a tit about changing it) just turned the whole lot into a feeling of grumpiness..... 

That MOT tester is the reason why I'm specific where I take our cars come MOT time. There's a line between being flat out with covid catch up MOTs, and being a reasonable human being. 

I've used our tester for a few years now and I trust him implicitly. He's not a pushover, but he's not pedantic either. 

I'd assume was pulling my leg if he told me he'd failed my car due a leaf under the wiper smearing the screen. 

What a plonker.

I once had a car fail on an indicator bulb not being orange enough and was just about to start getting arsey and asking him what the correct colour temperature stipulated in the MOT manual was or did they just use a Dulux paint chart to measure it but the end of the sentence went, 'but I chucked a new bulb in it so that's an extra £1.50 you owe me. Here's the pass certificate.' which calmed my indignation.

These guys must get all kinds of shit flung at them from the Great Unwashed, it's not a job I could do without embedding a tyre iron in someone's head at least once a week.

Don’t forget that the testers are made by DVSA to report the vehicle as it’s presented so that they can gather stats of the actual state of vehicles on the road . That’s why they often fail then pass straight away , known as the PRS scheme . ( Pass rectified at station ) 

22 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Homeandkitchenshop.co.uk which does look dodgy now.  

my fault, I followed a link from bbcgoodfood.

As you have said the warning signs are there.

No contact address. No VAT number, No company details in the T&Cs either. I done a who is that that did not give any clues as to the ownership of the website either.

What was the BBC article? have you a link to that?

2 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

I once had a car fail on an indicator bulb not being orange enough

That's actually one of the things I've started checking now as I had a PRS and an advisory (on separate tests) on not-orange-enough indicator bulbs.  I've replaced two in the Skoda, three in the C2 and one plus a side repeater in the 75.

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

Don’t forget that the testers are made by DVSA to report the vehicle as it’s presented so that they can gather stats of the actual state of vehicles on the road . That’s why they often fail then pass straight away , known as the PRS scheme . ( Pass rectified at station ) 

Didn't know that, explains quite a few of the MOT gripes on here.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

As you have said the warning signs are there.

No contact address. No VAT number, No company details in the T&Cs either. I done a who is that that did not give any clues as to the ownership of the website either.

What was the BBC article? have you a link to that?

Here, but it’s been edited since I can see. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/black-friday-deals?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=&utm_campaign=GF_Rev_241120_547905_BBC Good Food_Shoppable%2Freviews solus's_17945706

And the comment  below here https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/black-friday-food-processor-deals#commentsFeed

basically refers to the one I “ordered” for a review that is no longer there. The KitchenAid 3.1L. 

So someone has been deleting all reference to their recommendation to buy from the dodgy site,

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

That's actually one of the things I've started checking now as I had a PRS and an advisory (on separate tests) on not-orange-enough indicator bulbs.  I've replaced two in the Skoda, three in the C2 and one plus a side repeater in the 75.

My old brother in law and ex dad   xantia failed on too white indicator bulbs, they replaced them for new ones and it still had an advisory for same.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Trivial grump: I just went into a folder in my work email account which had 1,442 messages in it.  The thought which immediately popped into my head was "Ooh, that's the same as the engine size in an early Talbot Alpine".

Yes, I really am that sad.  It's depressing really.

if it makes you feel better I have been keeping one of my email sub folders at a very specific number of unread  emails LOL

image.png.30392a7fc3605ddb06501b0eea28fe1f.png

21 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Here, but it’s been edited since I can see. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/black-friday-deals?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=&utm_campaign=GF_Rev_241120_547905_BBC Good Food_Shoppable%2Freviews solus's_17945706

And the comment  below here https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/black-friday-food-processor-deals#commentsFeed

basically refers to the one I “ordered” for a review that is no longer there. The KitchenAid 3.1L. 

So someone has been deleting all reference to their recommendation to buy from the dodgy site,

I have never visited that part of the BBC. It does look like a link harvesting mega feast.  If you have used a CC to make your purchase there is a way to claim back the money.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-credit-card-protection/

20 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

I have never visited that part of the BBC. It does look like a link harvesting mega feast.  If you have used a CC to make your purchase there is a way to claim back the money.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-credit-card-protection/

Always used a card. But I’ve not had any money taken ( so far). I had a new credit card a couple of days later and that seems to have blocked any transactions pending on the old one. To be safer though a completely new account has been created and the existing balance moved across. Should get the new card in a couple of days.

I love how the concept of forming an orderly queue around here translates as "provide an open invitation for half a dozen folks to barge in front of you."

Have now had to become the asshole blocking the road at the click and collect grocery point as it's become obvious that's the only way I'll ever get in.

2 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

my postcode is Hall Green, i pay rates cuntcil tax to Solihull, my neighbor over the close says we're in Olton 🤔

Solihul is both Town and Borough. So Olton is in Solihull borough (as is Chelmsley Wood) 

But your neighbour is probably right. 

My nan lived in Dovehouse Lane with my parents, until they moved to Anglesey.