Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Matiz thrash.

Apologies, I appear to have comment bombed your video. It's good for you ratings...

I go on these roads a lot, for business and pleasure. They are good roads. At one point you passed where I broke down at the entrance to Alwen just last month. Actually I was right near the lovely Edwardian dam in the little gorge. But that's where I walked to with the two kids to not find phone signal, so a tourist let me use their car phone to call my neighbour. Anyway, it's a nice part of the world.

And yes I get overtaken by farmers in crew cab pickups all the time.

14 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Matiz thrash.

In other news, I bought a new car unexpectedly. Reveal tomorrow.

Ah the venue for the much postponed Shitesteddfod... we’ll get there one day!

I do love those roads though, some cracking walks by there too. 

On 11/13/2020 at 6:46 PM, Six-cylinder said:

No, I have two 17RDs

C reg with a sunroof that has been repainted looks tidy and runs well has cost a fortune and is here to stay.

The other is E reg very scruffy, but is solid, new tyres, new cam belt etc and runs well. It owes me £1000, too much money to sell looking as it does so it can stay. - yes please

I drove the Visa Cabriolet today with satellite dash, I want that diesel in France with satellite dash! - its just over 500 miles from dieppe

toulouse airport within farting distance :)

halves? :D

So, I'm becoming the place for triple-pot blue tiny motor cars.

IMG_20201115_154859.thumb.jpg.e77d17b2f20ba9876247d1944ed41629.jpg

In theory, this pair are quite similar. In terms of the way they drive, not so much. The Daihatsu feels so much more mature, comfortable and smooth to drive. 

For those who've not seen the video, my girlfriend's final words to me on Friday night were 'have you seen this?' £195 with MOT to March, blue smoke the issue but no rot to speak of. I was on it like a car bonnet and did the deal the next morning, before I'd even got out of bed. Insurance was quickly arranged and my neighbour gave me a lift to go and get it. 

Blue smoke is either gummed up piston rings or hard valve stem seals. It's done 130,000 miles, so either are a possibility. It produced a Trabant-esque cloud first thrash after a lengthy idling session, which makes me think stem seals. I'd expect piston rings to be more continuous. May try a flush and an oil change to see how things go, but those who know reckon you really need to get the pistons out - possible without removing the engine. My girlfriend, who is still on L plates, is insured on it so we'll see how tuition goes in the meantime. It needs wiper blades, but has fairly recent tyres, an almost brand new clutch and has had wishbones and a front strut in recent times. I'm well chuffed for £190! Oh yes,  managed to make myself look a right scally twunt by turning up without enough money... I got it in my head that it was £150 so hadn't withdrawn enough. My neighbour bailed me out with the contents of his wallet, which wasn't quite the asking price, but close enough for mutual happiness.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

I did notice that it seems every small car of yours happens to be blue, the Invacar the Matiz the City Rover and now the Charade :)

48 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

You need to buy a nice little DAF 33 to even things back up again.

@bobdisk I think I found who you should dump the DAF on! 

but what @dollywobbler really needs* is this Beige Private AC Acedes 

On 13/05/2020 at 17:16, LightBulbFun said:

9771KR, AC Acedes Mk10 (Model 57), Date of first registration 24 July 1964, Current status Unknown, Untaxed since 29 July 1994, Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 31 October 2008, notable for being a private example and wearing the age related VRM BFW598B

74930264_590249695079705_6032684667092598784_n.thumb.jpg.d0da6ee8b39a7b857b2ef1fd9aed040e.jpg

or a Barrett Midget, Just to mix things up on the colour front (and confuse everyone who incorrectly think all invalid vehicles where blue)

image.png

(Just watching Dollywobbler trying to get into one would be worthy of a video on its own, apparently if your over 5ft tall your in for a fun time :) )  

These are amazing cars for what they are and what a score on the new wishbones as they are £90 each!! 

The one I sold had 160k on the clock and had clear emissions likewise my 100k miles one is the same,,it probably wants a good hard run and oil swaps to burn off the carbon, also check the rear chassis rails as those are the prime Achilles heal of these as I've found one every single one so far.

2 hours ago, Jikovron said:

These are amazing cars for what they are and what a score on the new wishbones as they are £90 each!! 

The one I sold had 160k on the clock and had clear emissions likewise my 100k miles one is the same,,it probably wants a good hard run and oil swaps to burn off the carbon, also check the rear chassis rails as those are the prime Achilles heal of these as I've found one every single one so far.

Ah yes. My Sirion had very crunchy rear chassis rails. Well, apart from the bits my mechanic reckoned had been fibreglassed over... It was crunchy everywhere to be fair.

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

IMG_20201115_154859.thumb.jpg.e77d17b2f20ba9876247d1944ed41629.jpg

In theory, this pair are quite similar. In terms of the way they drive, not so much. The Daihatsu feels so much more mature, comfortable and smooth to drive. 

For those who've not seen the video, my girlfriend's final words to me on Friday night were 'have you seen this?' £195 with MOT to March, blue smoke the issue but no rot to speak of. I was on it like a car bonnet and did the deal the next morning, before I'd even got out of bed. Insurance was quickly arranged and my neighbour gave me a lift to go and get it. 

Blue smoke is either gummed up piston rings or hard valve stem seals. It's done 130,000 miles, so either are a possibility. It produced a Trabant-esque cloud first thrash after a lengthy idling session, which makes me think stem seals. I'd expect piston rings to be more continuous. May try a flush and an oil change to see how things go, but those who know reckon you really need to get the pistons out - possible without removing the engine. My girlfriend, who is still on L plates, is insured on it so we'll see how tuition goes in the meantime. It needs wiper blades, but has fairly recent tyres, an almost brand new clutch and has had wishbones and a front strut in recent times. I'm well chuffed for £190! Oh yes,  managed to make myself look a right scally twunt by turning up without enough money... I got it in my head that it was £150 so hadn't withdrawn enough. My neighbour bailed me out with the contents of his wallet, which wasn't quite the asking price, but close enough for mutual happiness.

Time for a compression test perhaps? Low compression may be the rings and less likely the stem seals? 

• dollywobbler changed the title to Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread - Dai Hat Sue
10 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Probably worth a go with the compression tester for sure. Valve stem seals seem favourite to me, but unless I can get a source of compressed air, it's a head off job to sort out.

Couldn't you use the old sticking rope in the cylinder trick to hold the valves in for doing the valvestem oil seals? Doing that job would make for an exciting video!