Dollywobbler's Consolidated Tat Thread

dollywobbler

2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Tempted to bring a 'hot' wire into the car from the battery, to try and get stuff working, but there are six different wires, and I don't fully understand what each does. Could be risky to just start chucking 12v into them. I'm pretty sure brown should be the 12v feed, and the red is to activate the starter, but the blue/white and blue/black are a mystery, as are two tiny white wires.

Put the key in the first "on" position, and touch your hot wire onto the brown terminal.  If it is the feed, you should get an ignition warning light.   if it is not the feed but the starter, then the starter will clonk, so try again with the red wire.

Cheers. I'll have a watch of that when I get a moment.

Did some Sana tinkering with the kids today. Managed to hot wire enough to get the ignition lights on, but no spark at the plugs. They were still very excited by the starter motor operating! Smallest child held the fire extinguisher, just in case...

On 05/11/2020 at 21:15, sharley17194 said:

I used that on my garage and shed roof over the summer, So far it seems to have worked a treat.

18 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Cheers. I'll have a watch of that when I get a moment.

Did some Sana tinkering with the kids today. Managed to hot wire enough to get the ignition lights on, but no spark at the plugs. They were still very excited by the starter motor operating! Smallest child held the fire extinguisher, just in case...

So is it actually turning over then? that's good news. 

If it's a more modern coilpack, any idea what method it uses to send a crankshaft position signal to the coil? You could be hotwiring the car all day and still have no spark because the crankshaft position sensor or its wiring is duff. Does it still use a dizzy?

Got any close-up pictures under the bonnet and of the associated plugs for the coilpack, etc? Would help to check continuity to ground so you can rule out some of the pins before bashing 12 volts down 'em. 👍

Edit2: Just re-watched one of the Sana videos, i assume the module under there is the coil pack? I numbered the wires to make discussion easier. Follow the red wire (number 2, not 7/8) back to its source, you might find something. Is wire 5 the HT kinglead to a distributor? Where does wire 6 go?

Edit3: Just realised you said its a fiat engine, you could find a haynes manual for a fiat that uses the same engine and look for the wiring diagrams, it will help you identify what wire is what, most likely. 🙂

yuhigo_sarnie.jpg

Something will only catch fire once if it was wrong... 

At least knowing it was a fairly well maintained semi daily before (it caught fire after an mot and service didn't it?) once you get the fire damage fixed it should run with minimal servicing... Good tyres at least! 

6 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Something will only catch fire once if it was wrong... 

At least knowing it was a fairly well maintained semi daily before (it caught fire after an mot and service didn't it?) once you get the fire damage fixed it should run with minimal servicing... Good tyres at least! 

Wrong car. 😉 Sana has been off the road for 25 years and it isn't known why it was taken off the road. It then seems to have been partially stripped for parts before being saved.

Not having a great week for tinkering. Yesterday, I decided it would be a good idea to do a 200-mile roadtrip in the Matiz to celebrate the end of Welsh lockdown.

EmZVIsBW4AUyFKE?format=jpg&name=small

It was very pretty, but a firm reminder that a Matiz is NOT a good car for covering more than about 50 miles. Gosh it's uncomfortable. 

Today, I just merely did absolutely f*ck all of any note. Other than laundry. It rained.

16 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Not having a great week for tinkering. Yesterday, I decided it would be a good idea to do a 200-mile roadtrip in the Matiz to celebrate the end of Welsh lockdown.

It was very pretty, but a firm reminder that a Matiz is NOT a good car for covering more than about 50 miles. Gosh it's uncomfortable. 

Today, I just merely did absolutely f*ck all of any note. Other than laundry. It rained.

What you need is a Citroen Visa diesel for long distance work!

P1240075 broad.jpg

20 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Celeb life there!

On 11/11/2020 at 2:08 PM, Six-cylinder said:

I agreed that you can't get a diesel with satellite dash is disappointing.

My dream is Turbo D, not just going from 1769cc 60 bhp to 1905cc 71 bhp but with turbo 1905cc 92 bhp!

Nip to France for this one!👍

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1832600028.htm

f5c4385c5c3a4780218fe4333ab8439e3b154530

10 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

IMG_20201112_174905.thumb.jpg.91ffc3a81a4da89a7714b37c5f68ef6e.jpg

The Matiz struggling with the weekly shop. Even had to leave a child at home to ensure we had enough space.

Hopefully I'll get the Rover back tomorrow. Much as I love the Matiz, I've clocked up about 300 miles in it this week, and it isn't the right car for that.

That awkward moment when you realise the shopping trolley is bigger than your actual car.

Rover's back.

EmuEwsqWEAcxob_?format=jpg&name=small

So comfortable. ABS fixed - oddly,  swapping the front sensors seemed to work. Replacing the 'duff' one with another new one did not. Garage also sorted out the handbrake, as it had pulled a pin out on one side. Very common apparently. Horrible scraping noise no longer present.

7 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

You're not selling it, are you? 😮

No, I have two 17RDs

C reg with a sunroof that has been repainted looks tidy and runs well has cost a fortune and is here to stay.

The other is E reg very scruffy, but is solid, new tyres, new cam belt etc and runs well. It owes me £1000, too much money to sell looking as it does so it can stay.

I drove the Visa Cabriolet today with satellite dash, I want that diesel in France with satellite dash!

IMG_20191015_133626 broad.jpg