The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just been to see a Seat Mii at a local dealer. £5295. 2013. looked great until I looked closer (it was black met and raining) It had Mk1 Ka levels of corrosion round the filer cap. Everything I'm seeing at dealers for 5k ish is rough. Looked at a Panda Twinair the other day and the rear quarterlight was smashed, and it had obviously been sitting a while. Did notice a Toyota IQ though.. That's today's infatuation.

A Hyundai i20 came up this morning on Gumtree at 10am. 09 plate, overheating... looked good otherwise so I sent a polite message to ask when I could come and view. got a message back a little later with a phone number. Checked listing again and the price had gone up by £50, then the advert dissapeared as I was reading it. 

I despair, I really do.Everything under a grand that is not quite scrap goes in minutes... do these people not work?

19 hours ago, Yoss said:

Once there I was riding round on old buses, as some of you will have seen, some of which were going inside ULEZ but my observation is that are still plenty of non compliant cars both sides of the boundary. 

In Bristol we are getting CAZ. Not ULEZ but a similar sort of thing.

The old busses have been upgraded to be Euro 6 compliant. I've seen 2006 plated ones with Now EURO6 compliant stickered on the side. Presumably something like a fleet of busses, it makes sense to spend out to get then approved. 

19 hours ago, Yoss said:

So how does it work if you are parked inside the zone and stay there?

If it doesn't move, then it won't pass a camera. Thus no charge. 

A colleague is having a debate what to do about his non compliant 2007 Civic Diesel. He walks into work usually and only uses the car for visiting family/friends outside the city or shopping. He figured the £9 per day charge (with fuel costs) is enough that it's probably cheaper for him to just catch a taxi when he needs to bring shopping home. Given his annual mileage is well under 3k per year and cars parked on the road in cities get ruined, it doesn't make sense him replacing it. 

19 hours ago, Yoss said:

These two were in the same road in Golders Green, well inside the zone. 

IMG_20221120_142449.thumb.jpg.e4b19c1f94174e3dc2d4b27718a6343f.jpg

IMG_20221120_142423.thumb.jpg.33113a1c55111aa21101ab6ea072aa98.jpg

Shirley these aren't compliant if my Škodas aren't.

Forgot to say that Petrol Punto is complaint. Many petrol cars are compliant that are near the 2005 cutoff when everything became Euro 4. My 2003 TT is compliant too. If it was diesel then it wouldn't be. 

Did a trip to Belgium over the weekend, for Spa activities and to start off the (enjoyable) process of stocking up on goodies for Christmas. We took my 2005 330i. On 188,000 miles now It’s definitely in shite territory on mileage.

Final scores. Fuel economy is Impressive from a ~260HP, 24 valve six that’s not in the first flush of youth. One fuel stop was needed, 508 miles covered and 59.7 litres added.

2EA3F355-B440-4373-9BBD-228D410F2240.jpe

Funicular from the hotel to thermal spa. Very novel, even if the hotel is a little costly.

BB1EBB88-7340-4505-9C5B-9070FFBFE2FE.jpe

Most of the spots were while on the move, including an Opel Ascona. Did see the real hallmark of a French speaking region, though.

B21B9167-F83D-42C4-AC1D-FE7FE98B3658.jpe

Finally, the current Bavarian MoronWagen outside Franchimont castle.

511F8F6A-007C-40A6-A29D-74147AA48C6F.jpe

The old one, in 2019. still missed.

A6AB25C2-2978-49DE-9BFF-A25B3DD9CEC1.jpe

It has a couple more trips to do, and then it’s service time. If the ports hold up, we’re also off to Berlin in it before Christmas too.

23 minutes ago, JakeT said:

Did a trip to Belgium over the weekend, for Spa activities and to start off the (enjoyable) process of stocking up on goodies for Christmas. We took my 2005 330i. On 188,000 miles now It’s definitely in shite territory on mileage.

Final scores. Fuel economy is Impressive from a ~260HP, 24 valve six that’s not in the first flush of youth. One fuel stop was needed, 508 miles covered and 59.7 litres added.

2EA3F355-B440-4373-9BBD-228D410F2240.jpe

Funicular from the hotel to thermal spa. Very novel, even if the hotel is a little costly.

BB1EBB88-7340-4505-9C5B-9070FFBFE2FE.jpe

Most of the spots were while on the move, including an Opel Ascona. Did see the real hallmark of a French speaking region, though.

B21B9167-F83D-42C4-AC1D-FE7FE98B3658.jpe

Finally, the current Bavarian MoronWagen outside Franchimont castle.

511F8F6A-007C-40A6-A29D-74147AA48C6F.jpe

The old one, in 2019. still missed.

A6AB25C2-2978-49DE-9BFF-A25B3DD9CEC1.jpe

It has a couple more trips to do, and then it’s service time. If the ports hold up, we’re also off to Berlin in it before Christmas too.

That’s impressive economy, is it the auto or manual?

2 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Even though I am a confirmed Anti Vagger, I seem to have just purchased a Seat Mii.  Euro 6, 60mpg, group3 insurance.. I am future proofed as much as possible for now. Focus wheel bearing has begun to groan in protest.. It knows its going.

By curiosity, is it a pre or post-facelift? facelifted cars get the fancy stereo with the tiny color screen

14 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Even though I am a confirmed Anti Vagger, I seem to have just purchased a Seat Mii.  Euro 6, 60mpg, group3 insurance.. I am future proofed as much as possible for now. Focus wheel bearing has begun to groan in protest.. It knows its going.

We've had an Up! for over 10 years now and the only unscheduled work was when my youngest son went through a flood and ripped the undertray off. We've had our Citigo for over 4 years with no problems.

15 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Boring but sensible, nothing wrong with that. 

A friend bought a 1.4 pez 2018 3 door golf a few years ago as a 'last for bloody ages' car. Says he gets it serviced with the mot every year and it's not put a foot wrong. If something breaks it should be reasonable to fix because popular. 

My grandfather bought a 1.2 Mk7 Golf a few years ago after writing his Volvo V50 off. He got it ex-demo. He has it serviced regularly and nothing has gone wrong. It’s 50 shades of silver now, due to his bodywork repairs, mind.

Best mate contacted me earlier to say that he booked in his 2015 Focus mk3.5 into the local dealer as this happened.

Screenshot_20221124-194225.thumb.png.caabc792b151c1662de15feed82a7332.png

Local dealer diagnosed it as a faulty headlamp. £1200 to replace and a deposit needs to be given to order it in.

I had a quick Google and it appears TADIS. Shit design in the light where the wires break to a connector as it moves up and down work hardening it. Considering the designers knew this was move, it's crap there is no proper strain relief. Presumably his being a petrol ST is worse as it'll be going up/down more from the hard suspension.

These guys sell a made up replacement harness for £9. Looks like I'll be one fixing it for him.

https://adaptivefix.com/guide/

He was livid that a Ford dealer wouldn't fix the light and would replace it. I tried to explain that's how they work. A dealer has comeback to Ford if a new light fails again whereas a repair they won't.

Still ridiculous really.

On 11/18/2022 at 12:47 PM, MrGTI6 said:

FFS!!! Failed my Mod 1 again this morning. It was going great right up until the very final section (hazard avoidance). This is where you have to accelerate to 50kph through a speed trap then swerve between two cones immediately afterwards.

Got up to the target speed no problem this time on both the emergency stop and hazard avoidance, but on the latter I managed to clip the inside cone with the outside of my left foot. Feeling so pissed off with myself, not least for wasting another day's holiday. I wasn't even feeling particularly nervous this time round, and the weather/conditions couldn't have been better.

Afterwards, I found out up until that point I had one minor for doing one of my figure-of-8s a bit wide. 

Third time lucky as the saying goes. At this point perhaps I should change my username to Maureen...

I am relieved to say that I passed the Mod 1 on my third attempt! Going to celebrate with a Burger King on the way home.