The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, 17-Coffees said:

Me, @rantingYoofand @Supernaut spent about a hour browsing Eastern Russia (Think Vladivostok area and beyond) on google maps on StreetView. Its amazing what cars you find, mostly Japanese and Korean, a lot of RHD JDM tin with the odd random surprise thrown in (Mk1 RHD Freelander and Pre-Facelift Opel Omega Estate!)  

Whats also amazing is how grim, yet amazing it all is. RantingYoof won on the Grim factor with THIS place...

I did this a few years ago, spent weeks nd weeks of evenings. Its the gas pipes running over ground that get me.

Busy long weekend so far.

My neighbour and I managed to get 2 tons of gravel delivered on Friday to fill up recent spaces created from earlier stuff being vacated. Bit of a shift moving it around the back but it all looks good now.

Yesterday I powerwashed the front drive using this rotary attachment that my dad lent me. Bloody brilliant and almost no splashing and no ugly lines.

Today is my wee boys birthday so being in lockdown it's just the 3 of us/Skype with Family.

Tomorrow, oil change on the Clio and feed the leather bits on the seats.

Still waiting on my exhaust clamps, deliveries are understandably taking longer.

I'm dreading running out of jobs to to but still working at home full time so hopefully I'll keep myself out of bother for a bit yet!

I've ordered a new exhaust rear section for the 75.  Wasn't going to bother until after The Event, but I found one on eBay £20 cheaper than the next cheapest one I'd seen, so nabbed it whilst it was available.  Not a job I'm looking forward to tbh - I had a quick look and the join between front and rear sections doesn't look too rusty, but exhausts rarely come apart easily and with the join being more or less in the centre of the car, whichever end I put up on ramps I'm not going to have a lot of room to work.

I’m currently watching death on the Nile with peter Ustinov (if memory serves a bit of a older car enthusiast) and quite a random cast of rising stars and old hands (David Niven has just cropped up, as has Mia farrow) whilst my own merc sits idle and rusting/ drying out (the interior is wet and mouldy)

image.thumb.jpg.76faaad75d54cdd67d378fed855706e9.jpg

Oil change on the Clio today.

The filter was bastard tight and access is poor, together with an array of fragile  plastic plugs being in close proximity to where I was flailing about with the ratchet. My weak and limp filter strap struggled again but I got the filter off eventually. All done now. Someone suggested using a coilovers adjuster spanner in the filter so I'll do that next time as I have one of those. Treated all the leather on the seats too.

20200413_101224.jpg

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

If you can see it on Facebook, it’s a compilation of crashes on the Nurburgring in 1970. Loads of interesting cars.

https://www.facebook.com/550310558405103/posts/2219460788156730/

Virtually everything that rolled over was rear engined. Swing axle or similar rear suspension?

2 minutes ago, spike60 said:

Virtually everything that rolled over was rear engined. Swing axle or similar rear suspension?

I was surprised how easily they all went over. Do beetles have a swing axle? A few dauphines and early Audi’s among the Porsche 914 and 911/2s.

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

If you can see it on Facebook, it’s a compilation of crashes on the Nurburgring in 1970. Loads of interesting cars.

https://www.facebook.com/550310558405103/posts/2219460788156730/

Juding by the amount of shite coming out of the ones that rolled I can only assume they were on their way to the tip.

27 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I was surprised how easily they all went over. Do beetles have a swing axle? A few dauphines and early Audi’s among the Porsche 914 and 911/2s.

I don't know the technical name for it on the Beetles but it certainly tucks under, the Porsches with persumably higher limits didn't  whether rear or mid engined. 

Had a spare hour or so today so had a crack at fitting the ancient Nokia hands free kit into my V70. It came from an S60 I scrapped a while ago and I had no idea if it worked or not.  It’s 19 years old and has spent the last 18 months or so rattling around in the boot so I wasn’t hopeful.

Anyway, it all plugged in great and it only bloody worked first time!  That doesn’t happen very often.

2285BFDB-A153-4249-8644-D8268507B845.jpeg

D0B1F43F-EBDD-4129-9EE1-87AC6A54A2B5.jpeg