Father Ted

The new news 24 thread

Entirely unsurprised, my commute around Glasgow is a bumpy, uncomfortable one where dense traffic and narrow lanes means pothole avoidance often isn't possible, there are also area of road which are constantly flooded and reduce 2-lanes of traffic into one.

My street is a quiet residential example, one way with cars parked down either side. It also features massive potholes and large chunks of street that have cracked and started to collapse. Just before Christmas the council came around and "fixed" this by pouring asphalt into the holes and... Erm, that was it. Naturally the winter weather means that freeze thaw action made this fail pretty much instanty leaving an even worse road surface which is now covered in loose bits of pavement which get pinged all over the place by passing traffic (including peppering my cars with stone chips) and have collected in gutters blocking the street's drainage...

The fact that the money is being put into trains is slightly boggling given the frequency with which they are late, cancelled or simply broken down at which point your end up using a bus which is back on the shit roads again.

All part of the government's amazing 'Nationalise the railway*' scheme.

*nationalise in the sense of giving it to the Dutch National Railway to run. It's making me nostalgic for the efficiency* and competence* of First Bus who had the franchise previously.

Sorry for the source (Daily Snail), but bloody heck at this:

[Video]

Thank goodness the other, innocent party was in a modern car. Sounds like the car tried automatically phoned the emergency services too. Still, I bet they're still suffering from neck and spine injuries still.

Battery is off a Fiesta. Starting the PT sucks all its juice out. Needs a few miles to recharge. Battery will pull out with enough force. I shoved it in there by hand so it should come out without removing the seat! Ideally I would have looked for PT Cruiser being broken and bought the battery off one as a new one is £160

Cheers Tom - yeah. guessed by the shape it was a 'normal' battery. Thanks for the heads up - I'll grab meself three shredded wheat at the weekend and MTFU. That'll learn me to want to drive the Streetwise more.

Got a look at the Burd's Clio exclusive - it had done itself a mischief and pissed out all it's gearbox oil..

post-17572-0-33033900-1519044404_thumb.jpg

This was partially down to a failure to reseat the shaft properly, but also due to

A BLOODY GREAT BIG TEAR in the gaiter.

post-17572-0-85130200-1519044535_thumb.jpg

Looks like the most simple solution is a new driveshaft.

#funweekendthen

Got a look at the Burd's Clio exclusive - it had done itself a mischief and pissed out all it's gearbox oil..

attachicon.gifIMG_20180218_132202.jpg

This was partially down to a failure to reseat the shaft properly, but also due to

A BLOODY GREAT BIG TEAR in the gaiter.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180218_135645.jpg

Looks like the most simple solution is a new driveshaft.

#funweekendthen

Good news on having found a fault, at least it pissed out the oil while parked so it was noticed!

I have a job.

Sadly I'm so run down atm that it'll be a few months until regular* GGG® Shite Antics© can be resumed.

But since my accumulated needs will have to be compensated for, there is a degree of certainty that gay abandonment is going to prevail.

Stock car almost finished, just needs sign writing.

Start it up............no.......no spark. Change Coil pack..no. Change flywheel sensor..no.

Take ECU and loom to my mates, put this on your car see if it works... "Can't starters knackered.

I'll take my loom and ECU off, go and try it on yours."

Thanks.....Brumm, Brumm.

It was the loom at fault, £70. Could have been worse ECU is £400.

Suspect wire broken inside plug, but not supposed to mess with them because rules.

Ordered loom, just got to take his back now, 1 hr each way.

Stock car almost finished, just needs sign writing.

Start it up............no.......no spark. Change Coil pack..no. Change flywheel sensor..no.

Take ECU and loom to my mates, put this on your car see if it works... "Can't starters knackered.

I'll take my loom and ECU off, go and try it on yours."

Thanks.....Brumm, Brumm.

It was the loom at fault, £70. Could have been worse ECU is £400.

Suspect wire broken inside plug, but not supposed to mess with them because rules.

Ordered loom, just got to take his back now, 1 hr each way.

What ignition system are you running on them?

Earlier this month I realised I hadn't taxed my Jag......and only because the insurance came up. Taxed it online about 10 days late.

Got a Last Chance letter today on my Rover......was due 1Feb......taxed it online.

Thought I better check Chevy although clearly remember doing it........was untaxed, due 1 August. Taxed it online but this time it warned I may hear from their enforcement section........

I fail at admin

Or just abandon the whole rfl thing altogether and whack a few pence on a litre of fuel.

That way nobody can avoid it, forget it, or have direct debit problems. Plus it would save the Government millions in costs. Drive lots of miles? Pay more. Nip to the shops and back once a week? Pay a lot less.

Seems fair to me

The Aero hit the 175,000 mile mark this evening, 20,000 of those miles being mine. So far, so good ^^

I also took delivery of the c. late 1970s Allied Polymer "Hot Wash" thingy I acquired on eBay after Junkman linked its auction on the 'giffer trinkets' thread:

post-4796-0-69779800-1519071206_thumb.jpg

As new, with a high quality feel, it will go well in The Volvo. Wait a minute...

post-4796-0-60314700-1519071660_thumb.jpg

Arse! Ironically, immediately before I saw the above warning, I was joking with my work colleagues that it probably wouldn't fit Volvos  :roll:

I wonder why it's not suitable for Volvos? As its manufacturer no longer exists, I can't get the reason why from them, so does anyone here know? I think I'll bung it on anyway, as The Volvo is not your average Volvo by any means and I have a brand new lower heater hose for it (which I found in the back of The Wentworth when I first bought it), just in case I wreck the car's existing one trying to fit it  8)

That's what they say, mainly used for advertising purposes and large numbers.

We do actually have a few sponsors this year which should pay for the sign writing.

When colour scheme was mentioned, Grand daughter age 5 said  "That will look ridiculous."

We think she may have been right. Might look better later with numbers on?

Would blend better with Blue or Yellow Aerofoil, but Reds the place to be.

Wait, does that mean in other years the advertising doesn't cover the costs of sign-writing the car?

I raced 40 years, won once, never had a sponsor. Edit, won twice and a few Auto grass.

My son drives now. He is a little* better than me, and has me as full time unpaid mechanic.

Wins a few times a year, allways there or thereabouts. You have to be good, and have the luck at times.

He has raced 26 years boy to man, only in the last two years has he had enough sponsors to fill the car panels.

Many sponsors pay in kind, pest controller for example, handy for mice and ants.

This is probably the first year that sponsors cover sign writing costs. 

Anyone wants an ad, the back panel may be empty and all the other drivers see it :)